• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My Pentax Gameseeker II 8.5-32x50AO is no more.

mley1

My Pentax scope is busted. I was shooting yesterday, and suddenly my shots started to walk on me. Then, suddenly it went blurry. No adjustment worked. A closer look revealed that some lenses inside came loose, and were bouncing around the front of the scope. It was toast. Time for a new scope.

So, I went to Academy and picked up a Nikon Prostaff 5 3.5-14x40 SF BDC. It was on sale for 219.00. I've never owned a Nikon scope, but was very impressed by the clarity and sharpness as I looked through it, and compared it to other similarly priced scopes. So, I figured since it was on sale and I liked it's features and it appeared to be good quality, why not. So, I took it home and mounted it on my PA10. I'm hoping it will do well for me.

Has anyone had experience with this particular scope? How do you like the scope? I've downloaded Nikon's SpotOn program to my phone so I can more effectively use the BDC reticle. It looks pretty easy to use, and pretty versatile. I'd be interested to hear y'alls opinions on this particular scope.

I own 2 Nikon scopes, and they have both performed well for me. Clarity above their pay grade, and solid performers.

No experience with your specific model, but the BDC reticle on the rifle scope hasn't been used by myself, it is on my sons FAL currently, and the other scope is an Encore pistol scope used for a Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle years back.

I have some Nikons in all shapes & sizes , not your particular magnification , but I like their Scopes . The Prostaffs have a couple different levels , I have & used many BuckMasters , not the new BuckMasters II  & they all are great scopes . I have only sent one ( not mine ) Nikon back a 12 year old one that was fogging up in certain temps. & they sent a Prostaff 7 back to replace it ,( because they no longer made the one I sent in ) no charge .

Edited by survivalshop

On 9/29/2017 at 2:09 AM, sketch said:

pics or it didn't happen..

LOL, I suppose I could take a picture of the front lens, showing the loose lens's laying on it inside. From the outside you can't tell it's broken, unless you look through it or at the front lens, and or shake it and hear the loose lens's rattle. I plan to site in the new scope on Thursday or Friday. I suspect it will go well. I wasn't a fan of the Pentax, but you can't beat free, until free breaks on you.

Got the new Nikon sighted in yesterday. It worked pretty good. Sighting in and movement of the adjustments was positive, and consistent. No issues to report, other than I LOVE this new scope! I took a pic of a few groups. I will say that I noticed 180grn Remington Core Lokts shot a touch higher than the 150's. Also, the 150's from Remington and Malaysian milsurp shot to the same poi. So, I was very happy about that. I was so happy I went and bought a can of 540 of the Malaysian milsurp ammo. It seems to be good stuff. And, at about 38 cents a round it's hard to beat for range ammo.

100yrd ten round group, with four in one ragged hole. I'm not a great shooter by any stretch of the imagination. So, I was pretty happy with the groupings, especially with them being regular ole factory and milsurp ammo.

22221733_10210218291442315_1200146543942

Some milsurp groups.

22279402_10210218419685521_6219940432141

On this group I pulled the left shot. Like I said, I'm not a great shooter. So, I was happy anyway.

22196411_10210218423005604_3911801481576

The top were Remington 150grn Core Lokts, and the bottom pics were the milsurp. Once I set the the scope for 100yrds I never adjusted again during the session. My daughter shot as well. Her shots all seemed to go a bit low and to the left a bit. We couldn't figure out why, until I looked at her form. She had on the red ear muff hearing protectors you see so often at ranges. And, it was interfering with her cheek weld on the stock, and had her eye misaligned with the scope. Thus, affecting her poi. I shoot with ear plugs in and was able to center my eye behind the scope. That makes a big difference in poi. Even with that issue my daughter did pretty good. It had been a while since she shot, and I was happy the recoil from the .308 didn't bother her. A nice fellow shooter loaned us his large sand bag for her to lay the gun on so she could shoot better. You meet the nicest people at shooting ranges.

• 5 weeks later...