• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What is happening to human decency?

Robocop1051

For months a friend has been talking to me about wanting to buy an AR15. I told him over and over again, "let me build it for you." I even offered to build it for free! I just wanted to make sure that he had a quality rifle. He called me up yesterday very excited about his new rifle he purchased for $900 while I was out of town. I asked where he bought it, and he said it was a gunbroker.com purchase from some small dealer in the south end of the state.... First of all, nothing good has ever come from southern California!!!

Today he calls me and tells me that he picked up the upper from the FFL and that he wants to bring it by. He shows up at my door step and hands me a $5 rifle case that came 'free' with the purchase, because the guy had no magazine for the sale. Already my warning bells are going off. I pull the upper from the case and see a bare bones, no-name, 16" carbine w/ a generic quad rail. My friend excitedly points out that it came with a 'free' Magpul rear MBUS... Wait... Why doesn't that look like any of my MBUS's? Why doesn't it snap open/closed correctly? And why does the "Magpul" emblem looks so funny?

A sucker is born every minute. My friend fell into a $500 rifle for $900... and the worst part is I don't have the heart to tell him. He'll never use it for anything than shooting at cans on the side of a hill, so I can't be too upset. What really chaps me, is that some guy is selling fake gear to people under the guise that it is popular name brand stuff. I expect that when buying sunglasses in Mexico, I even search the guy out! But when it comes to my guns, false advertising is a big No-No in my book. How bad is one's life when they have to pass off a $20 sight for a $40 sight? Is life really that bad now?

I was just thinking about my buddy Butch, and the wisdom he imparted to me one day. "You get no diploma from the school of life, but the lessons you learn there you never forget."

You offered your help to your buddy.  He didn't take it.  His loss.

Guy I worked with several years ago contacted me on Facebook needing to urgently sell an "AR-15 chambered in 6.8SPC" to pay rent.

Turns out he go it at a gun show for 1200 bucks. It's a used Bushmaster 6.8 SPC lower and a "homemade" upper with a 223 Rem chamber....

....There are still many great genuine people around us.

Our Eagles club paid for and installed new ball diamond bleachers in the community park.

The managing partner of a large real estate project held an invite only "golf with shotgun"(sporting clays) event to raise money for a small town assisted care facility, I was fortunate enough to participate in.

We invited a young man with mental disabilities to work in with the engineering department. He is paid the same wage as the others on the team but is assisted tasks we normally give to the cleaning crew.

Compassionate and honest people surround us but they are rarely recognized.....case in point, CNN (Constantly Negative News)

• 3 months later...

For months a friend has been talking to me about wanting to buy an AR15. I told him over and over again, "let me build it for you." I even offered to build it for free! I just wanted to make sure that he had a quality rifle. He called me up yesterday very excited about his new rifle he purchased for $900 while I was out of town. I asked where he bought it, and he said it was a gunbroker.com purchase from some small dealer in the south end of the state....

Sounds to me like he couldn't hold his water.

First of all, nothing good has ever come from southern California!!!

Ever heard of Addax Tactical? If not, you should look them up.

Today he calls me and tells me that he picked up the upper from the FFL and that he wants to bring it by. He shows up at my door step and hands me a $5 rifle case that came 'free' with the purchase, because the guy had no magazine for the sale. Already my warning bells are going off. I pull the upper from the case and see a bare bones, no-name, 16" carbine w/ a generic quad rail. My friend excitedly points out that it came with a 'free' Magpul rear MBUS... Wait... Why doesn't that look like any of my MBUS's? Why doesn't it snap open/closed correctly? And why does the "Magpul" emblem looks so funny?

TBH, I've been on both ends of that situation at different times of my adult life. I was pretty naive at first but learned from my mistakes.

A sucker is born every minute. My friend fell into a $500 rifle for $900... and the worst part is I don't have the heart to tell him. He'll never use it for anything than shooting at cans on the side of a hill, so I can't be too upset. What really chaps me, is that some guy is selling fake gear to people under the guise that it is popular name brand stuff. I expect that when buying sunglasses in Mexico, I even search the guy out! But when it comes to my guns, false advertising is a big No-No in my book. How bad is one's life when they have to pass off a $20 sight for a $40 sight? Is life really that bad now?

I'd tell him. Better he find out while he's playing with it then in the middle of a real situation. Ugly situations just sort of surprise you. Everything is fine one minute, the next you're fighting for your life or someone else'.

He might not be able to accept it at first but if you prove your case, he WILL believe you (he won't be able to not believe you) and will eventually come to grips and sort things out.

• 1 month later...

Like MaDuce said hip him to exactly what he has and how he put himself in the situation that he is in.He might try to use the rifle for something it can't do and get himself or someone else killed.Its one thing to get ripped off on a car,bike,house,etc.,but a firearm?Was barrel tight headspace set?He's a knucklehead but still a friend.Shoot on bro.

For months a friend has been talking to me about wanting to buy an AR15. I told him over and over again, "let me build it for you." I even offered to build it for free! I just wanted to make sure that he had a quality rifle. He called me up yesterday very excited about his new rifle he purchased for $900 while I was out of town. I asked where he bought it, and he said it was a gunbroker.com purchase from some small dealer in the south end of the state.... First of all, nothing good has ever come from southern California!!!

There are barrels that came from the Chiliean govt being sold on $1800 high end ARs, many manufacturers using foreign parts on ARs, carriers that aren't heat treated...it gets deep.