• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Building a 5.56 Patrol Carbine for the Wife

COBrien

If you've followed my other "[...] for the Wife" thread, you know I've realized a light(er) patrol carbine in 5.56 is what my wife wants for a duty rifle.

In the process of putting a preliminary parts list together (which is always subject to change depending on her preferences...), I've come across the Troy Battlerail. Primary Arms has them on sale for $119.99 (MSRP $199.95). Does anyone have an opinion about these handguards?

I know PRI, KAC, etc. handguards are preferred here. I'd prefer one of those, too, for a rifle I'm building for myself. But they're also at least twice the cost and twice the weight of the Troy. Are they that much better, in a LE patrol rifle context?

Edited by COBrien

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, StainTrain said:

I only see the SOCC Battlerail on sale.  I don't have experience with them, but I do have a lot of experience with the Alpha and Bravo rails and they are solid rails. I currently run the Geissele M4 and they are certainly a step up.  

That’s the one — the MLok version. I should have been more specific...

At 7.8 oz. with all the hardware, it’s awfully light. Pair that with a Criterion ADM/Lightweight 16” middy (1.5ish lbs.), and I think it’d be a pretty slick setup. 

Got the Troy SOCC Battlerail in. Seems like a substantial piece, even though it's lightweight.

What I wasn't expecting (but am not upset about...) is that this handguard tapers down just forward of the barrel nut, ending up in a slim profile. It also uses a mil-spec barrel nut, not some proprietary abomination. I'm still a but unclear about the clamping system, but I'm sure how it works will become evident once I get around to installing it.

I like it so much I bought another one. Considering starting a dedicated .22 LR upper with a Beyer barrel and CMMG BCG. I think this will be right at home.

On 12/28/2017 at 8:12 AM, COBrien said:

Considering starting a dedicated .22 LR upper with a Beyer barrel and CMMG BCG. I think this will be right at home.

Check out the Taccom3G gear... and FUKC CMMG! If you're going to build a dedicated upper, then get a dedicated barrel. I believe TacSol also has a dedicated system now too.

Here's the .22lr I built for my wife to plink with. It uses the Taccom ULW barrel and BCG.

• MAG Tactical upper and lower receiver

• Midwest Ind 13" key mod

• Magpul CTR Stock

• Magpul MOE+ grip

• Taccom 17" barrel

• Taccom NiB BCG

• Taccom receiver plug

• Norgon Ambi Mag Release

• ALG Trigger

• BAD Inc 45° Safety

• BAD Inc ETP/ETP

• CMMG Anti-Jam Charging Handle w/ Badger Latch

• Tactical Link Bolt Release

• Magpul MBUS Gen2Magpul AFG1

• KAC Keymod covers

• Bushnell AR22 2-7X32

• VTAC Padded Sling

20140206_164137_zpstgdvfbe0.jpg

20140206_164103_zpsjacabhuv.jpg

Thanks for the heads up, Robo.

That looks suspiciously like the coffee table I had in law school...

I was looking at a Beyer dedicated barrel, and just using the CMMG BCG. I've heard great things about Clint Beyer's barrels for 10/22s (my first accuracy obsession is 10/22s...). I'm wondering now if TacSol or Taccom's BCG is similar enough in design to work with one of Clint's barrels.

Also....

Look at the “Better-Mag” by Redi-Mag. It allows you to use S&W M&P15-22 mags in a standard AR15 receiver. If I had it to do all over (and I might still do it) I would’ve gone with the S&W mags vs the Black Dog mags. 

Black Dog makes a good mag, but not having the bolt hold option is aggravating. I even installed the dedicated 22lr bolt catch, and it only works about 30% of the time. 

The ProMag (M&P15-22 compatible) version holds 32 rounds, is easier to load than the BD, and can be found for $15-$17. (Also, if all you can find are the 10rd mags, there a bunch of YouTube vids on how to unlock them to full capacity). 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after amassing quite a parts spreadsheet (I'm an Excel junkie...) and finding the best possible prices on most of them (and waiting for Fulton Armory to have a site-wide sale...), I've decided to do the simple thing:

I'm going to give my wife the lower tonight, and open a conversation about parts she'd like on this rifle. I'm sure she'll talk to her coworkers, find out what they're running, and give me ideas.

Having said that, I think I know what she's looking for. And I think what I have in mind would be perfect for her. But at the end of the day, it's her rifle. And, as much as I'd like to surprise her with it, I'd rather only have to build it once.

Also, as an aside, I finally got some decent (above 30°) weather to install one of her Christmas gifts in her work car. Unfortunately, she told me no, she did not want the locking version of the rack, that the regular old rack would be fine. [In best Maury Povich voice] "Policy says....that's not true." So the lock kit is on its way from Condition Zero now.

IMG_9631.JPG

Her reaction to the lower was not as expected...

"Oh, you're going to build me an SBR?!"

"Um, well, I hadn't planned on it. But if you want one, we can build one. But if you want it for work, I'll just build you an upper and you can check out one of the LESO M16s. That way you're not carrying a personally-owned SBR at work."

"Oh. So what's the lower for?"

Fawk...