• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New to AR10. Former Marine and competitive shooter. (USPSA & 3gun

Tuflehundon

Welcome from Iowa, via Arkansas!

Building an AR-10 or a 308 AR? Hate to be picky on nomenclature but make sure you understand the difference before you start buying parts or you will have problems. Do a bunch of searching and reading here and you will find what you need.

Edit; Thought I better add, make sure the parts supplier knows the difference as well, many call DPMS pattern parts AR-10 parts causing much grief.

Edited by jtallen83

4 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Welcome from Iowa, via Arkansas!

Building an AR-10 or a 308 AR? Hate to be picky on nomenclature but make sure you understand the difference before you start buying parts or you will have problems. Do a bunch of searching and reading here and you will find what you need.

Edit; Thought I better add, make sure the parts supplier knows the difference as well, many call DPMS pattern parts AR-10 parts causing much grief.

I am building with the help of a friend that works at a local gun manufacturer. He is WAY more knowledgeable that I am. He's basically telling me to give him the specs I want, and he'll get the parts and help me build it. He already has most of the parts I want, just deciding on barrel now. 

42 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Have you heard of Live Free Armory? 

I have. They are on the other coast. I looked at them a while back. Was planning to buy from them, but got a really good deal on from a friend. He was getting together parts for a build, had about 60% of the parts, and won decided not to build the rifle since he already had a 308 bolt gun. I picked up the parts from him pretty cheap. Another friend that works at Praestlor Arms is helping me with the rest of the build.