• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Howdey

oli700

Cool place.

I've built plenty of AR's but never the 308. A 16" barrel fell into my lap recently and so here I am to learn how to build the best 16" 308 carbine I can. I understand its not ar15's so I want to save myself some trouble and do all the nuances of building a DPMS pattern carbine right the first time through .

Thanks for future help and info provided here

Edited by oli700

3 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Right now you only have a barrel?  /if you don't have receivers yet, then you're basically starting from a clean slate - which is a good thing. :thumbup:

Yep only a barrel, its being given to me ......I know its a Ballistic Advantage , 16" new from them .....its like a surprise , crazy kinda story Its from Clint Hanson so I'm hoping its a Hanson profile but I'll be happy with whatever he sends me  . Its on its way to me now .

Thanks guys

Ive been building a while, I reload ....all that fun stuff. I'm a student of the AR15 and Know enough about 308's to know to listen and learn first , buy once cry once and be happy for the rest of my life with a quality firearm that doesn't need to be over the top

currently I want a good functioning buffer system figured so I buy right as I can on that front . The rest doesn't scare me too bad lol

Just now, oli700 said:

thanks , is that all going to run in a DPMS pattern gun ?

Yep, it is the prefered buffer system by many around here. System being the key word, I am not aware of anyone having a problem with this system installed. Possible there are some proprietary rifles out there that it won't work on but never heard of an issue with this system in a DPMS platform.

10 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Keep in mind the above is for the adjustable carbine stocks, if you go with a rifle stock, A1, A2, Magpul PRS and so on then you need the rifle system;

https://www.armalite.com/product/ar-10-rifle-length-receiver-extension-kit-no-stock-ar10rekit02/

copy thanks, for the record I'm going adjustable

9 minutes ago, oli700 said:

is it a milpsec size tube ?

Yes.

Well, in diameter, it is.  Don't buy a commercial-sized stock.  It's longer overall, and internally, in order to run the AR15 Carbine buffer length (3.250" OAL).  It doesn't use DPMS-based LR-308 short carbine buffers (2.500" OAL).

Edited by 98Z5V

14 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Yes.

Well, in diameter, it is.  Don't buy a commercial-sized stock.  It's longer overall, and internally, in order to run the AR15 Carbine buffer length (3.250" OAL).  It doesn't use DPMS-based LR-308 short carbine buffers (2.500" OAL).

awesome, it should be in the mail Monday....now to sniff out a milspec buttstock  ........I've always been an Ace stock guy on my AR's so mostly fixed . I'm getting excited

I always run Lancer or GI mags mags on my 556's .....I think I have one 40rd magpul it works good  , who makes the good 308 mags?

Lancers are the top of the pile, IMHO.  Nothing better for a Large Frame 308 (or varient).  MagPuls don't fail, either.  Depends on how much you want to spend, honestly.  You can get 2 MagPuls for every Lancer.  I have a bunch of the MagPuls, but I still prefer the Lancers.

7 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

This is a screamin' deal, by the way.  You'll drip $40 just for the receiver extension, and about another $40 for the H3 buffer, at most retailers.  The spring is anywhere from $5 to $15.  I've always pieced mine together - I wish I'd known this before...  

NOTE - I was replying to this when you posted above - not really any known mags to steer away from - besides early DPMS (genuine) 19-rd steel mags.  Early ones had feedlip issues.  Don't buy them used unless you know they're new, or want to diagnose feed problems and adjust feed lips. 

Edited by 98Z5V