• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Sig Does it Again, P365 Not ready For Prime Time

jtallen83

5 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Anyone here had a chance to handle or shoot the 365? 

Yes.  Well, No.  Yes, I've handled it extensively, weekly when I go visit my Gun Pusher, and he shoves one on my hands and says, "It's nice, isn't it..."  - not really as a question.  I've been all over it, taken it apart, dry fired it, etc.  He can't get enough of them, and they're flying out of the shop.  I think last weekend was the first weekend that he didn't have one in the store, at all.

Fired it?  Nope, not yet.  And honestly, I don't think I want to.  Not after seeing all this stuff on it. I've lost interest in it - and I thought it handled ad pointed very, very well, and it's not what other smaller framed semis are. Disappointed. 

Will I change my mind?  Depends on the honesty coming from the company - will they come out with a definite cause and annouce it publicly?  Will they make fast (yeah, I know, "warranty") repairs to customer's pistols? 

I think there's more than one fundamental flaw in it, and I'm kinda not even interested now...  That dead trigger that MAC had was something else.  The striker smears are pretty serious, and something's inherently wrong (or overlooked) in the basic design.

My $0.02 on it. 

MAC was showing that a spring for the reset I think it was, is dragging on the back of his magazine? That’s just poor QC. I handled one at my pushers place, like how it pointed, nice sight picture and a pretty good trigger, glad I didn’t jump though! People expect a certain amount of issues from companies like Taurus, low price, lower expectations. SIG had a reputation built up that was the envy of many companies but this long string of problems under Cohen has got to start hurting that. Notice they stopped using the slogan “to hell and back reliability “

39 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Now does ANYONE have an opinion on SIG or the 365?

Sig is awesome, the 365 hasn't had a stellar start, but if even Glocks are still being improved upon, what's a few minor hiccups in a new product.

I owned a polymer frame SP2022 Sig for several years and liked it, but was not overwhelmed by it. A so so trigger, and very top heavy, though well made and reliable. It was S and W 40,and probably would have kept it  if it had been 45 ACP. But though it was a big pistol, it had a very small grip, which caused me some problems. All in all I would give it 5 or maybe 5.5 out of 10. Well made, but the ergonomics were questionable, and I did not particularly like the caliber.

@Sisco , I bet there aren’t many pistol grips that don’t feel small in those grizzly bear paws of yours! :laffs:

I got in on the teething issues for the 938. Took three trips back, they redesigned the main spring housing, guide rod, and the mag catch. They did make it reliable eventually but only fixed the issues if people complained. The MSH should have been a recall as it was a guaranteed failure somewhere around 500 rounds. 

They never have gotten my P716 sorted, gas issues and it has to be cleaned every 100 rounds, not what I thought I would get with a piston gun.

At the same time my 226’s, 239, and PM400 have been flawless, outstanding weapons! There is a definite timeframe when they start releasing weapons with issues and it coincides with Cohen becoming CEO.

36 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

@Sisco , I bet there aren’t many pistol grips that don’t feel small in those grizzly bear paws of yours! :laffs:

I got in on the teething issues for the 938. Took three trips back, they redesigned the main spring housing, guide rod, and the mag catch. They did make it reliable eventually but only fixed the issues if people complained. The MSH should have been a recall as it was a guaranteed failure somewhere around 500 rounds. 

They never have gotten my P716 sorted, gas issues and it has to be cleaned every 100 rounds, not what I thought I would get with a piston gun.

At the same time my 226’s, 239, and PM400 have been flawless, outstanding weapons! There is a definite timeframe when they start releasing weapons with issues and it coincides with Cohen becoming CEO.

I seriously looked at that 716, but your problems with it cooled my interest. Adding a piston to a design that was designed for direct impingement never made any sense to me, although H and K was successful at it along with a few others. Have a piston AK and had a piston AR180, by necessity those piston designs need to have looser tolerances, partly so there are places for exhaust and residue to go without fouling the action. You get a super tight piston design like the M14, and it needs to be taken apart and meticulously cleaned and decarboned to maintain reliability. Guess the 716 is in that boat.

I have never had a misfire with a classic Sig and once when I inadvertently "proof tested" a 220 it never stuttered and continued working with no damage. So in short their classic line has worked well for me. Maybe in a few more years when the market has finished beta testing them I will try a striker fired Sig, I doubt it but anything is possible.

I loyally entrusted my life to a P226 .40 for the first 10 years of my career. When I was given the option, I opted for switching over to a P220 elite stainless. It was the most accurate gun I ever owned… But would not chamber Winchester Ranger 230 grain ammo. After fighting with Sig for several months, I sold the P220 and bought myself a P227 TACops. Again, the pistol was ridiculously accurate, and this time it held 14 rounds of 45! Just like the P220, the P227 filled with Ranger Winchester ammo. I tried, and I tried, but I just couldn’t put my life on it.

Here’s a little video I made of my P227. The short HP rounds would not clear the feed ramp, and jammed my slide almost every other round. 

The issue was absolutely identical with the P220. 

After the double failure of trying to use the 45, I switched back to the P226 .40 until it was retired. Since then my department has swapped over to G17’s. I have a G41 that I plan to bring into service hopefully by this fall. 

2 minutes ago, Robocop1051 said:

Again, the pistol was ridiculously accurate, and this time it held 14 rounds of 45!

Sig eventually pulled the 14 rounders, they tried a couple versions and never did get it right. Wonder how many of those mags are sitting out there waiting to hand out future disappointment. Another product Sig released for customers to beta test........

1 hour ago, jtallen83 said:

Sig eventually pulled the 14 rounders, they tried a couple versions and never did get it right. Wonder how many of those mags are sitting out there waiting to hand out future disappointment. Another product Sig released for customers to beta test........

I had 10 of the 14 round mags, and six of the 10 round mags. None of them worked with the Winchester Ranger ammo. 

My G41 holds 13+4 (or 28 if I pull out the Kriss mags) and I can load that stupid thing with rocks and crayons and I bet it’d still fire. I’m not a Glock fan at all, but gawdamit, I cant find a mechanical flaw in this POS. 

Bevel and blend the feed ramp.  The angle is too steep, like a wall.  Govt (real issue service) 1911s were the same way, with anything that wasn't ball ammo. 

That would fix those SIGs, and their hollow-point problem.

Look at that...  and I'm not even a Super 1911 Gunsmith...   :thumbup::laffs: