• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

BEER, Reviews and Opinions

jtallen83

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Emperor of Ice Cream Imperial Milk Stout from Lion Bridge Brewing in Cedar Rapids Iowa. They say strawberry, vanilla, and chocolate on the label and I get that on the nose, maybe more like a black cherry but  for sure an inky black look. Sweet and creamy up front, cherry ice cream like, the sweet is subdued by the malty char, subdued but not removed. Good stuff, not as heavy as it tastes.

IMG_4030.thumb.jpg.9c174b42c889169bf0c00c5957f07068.jpg

Wet Hopped "Dare Mighty Things" IPA from The Brewing Projekt in Eau Claire WI. Via my Wisconsin Brother. Citrus on the nose, lemon and orange. Hop heavy, loads of hops, the taste is so fresh green you expect to see green. A very creamy brew, fluffy white foam hangs tough to the somewhat sweet but pithy finish. 

IMG_4039.thumb.jpg.8c824f210c2a98a3913254ce4bf6d211.jpg

Blackberry Lemonade Monster Hustle IPA from The Brewing Projekt in Eau Claire WI, another treat from Wisconsin.  Fresh berries on the nose. Flavor is right on the name, a real fresh berry and lemonade flavor through out. More of the fizzy lemonade flavor at the front with the end having that pithy dry. It's almost a sour, maybe not a sour, it's tart and tasty for sure. 

IMG_4059.thumb.jpg.c3bc05ab81fa03e5ee5954fb9653e0e1.jpg

E-Z Swords "We Don't Sell Swords" NEIPA from Eagle Park Brewing Co. Muskego, WI. Another special delivery from Wisconsin. A little citrus and floral note on the nose. Rich, I know that’s not a flavor but that's what I thought on the first sip.  It has that tropical fruit sweet balanced by a mild pithy bitter, Lots of green notes from an abundance of hops, and good hops! Has a mild resiny pine finish on both taste and feel. Simply delicious!

IMG_4062.thumb.jpg.331d8885aa1e4fd0b50801683cdb603f.jpg

18 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

E-Z Swords "We Don't Sell Swords" NEIPA from Eagle Park Brewing Co. Muskego, WI. Another special delivery from Wisconsin. A little citrus and floral note on the nose. Rich, I know that’s not a flavor but that's what I thought on the first sip.  It has that tropical fruit sweet balanced by a mild pithy bitter, Lots of green notes from an abundance of hops, and good hops! Has a mild resiny pine finish on both taste and feel. Simply delicious!

IMG_4062.thumb.jpg.331d8885aa1e4fd0b50801683cdb603f.jpg

They were voted one of the best up and coming breweries in 2019, they make great beer. 

Salted Maple Stout from Central Waters Brewing in Amherst, WI. Another from my Wisconsin Brother and as usual it does not disappoint. You get the maple syrup on the nose, not real strong but there. Starts with a creamy smooth sweet maple syrup flavor then puts out some salty roasted malt notes but with the maple syrup staying in the mix front to back. The flavors are crisp and bright, a new and unusual flavor for me that on the other hand seems like an old favorite.

IMG_4087.thumb.jpg.c5060570d18f5a0beb97e159d98f6350.jpg

Barreled Blonde Cinnamon Pear barrel aged Ale from NoCoast Beer Co. in Oskaloosa, IA. I can smell the pear and maybe a hint of wine. Tasting the wine right up front, the cinnamon pear follows. The only familiar beer taste I get is a slight hop bitter at the finish. Tastes good but if you want your beer to taste like beer this ain't it. 

IMG_4096.thumb.jpg.24588c9a19cb0ef2c4c47a8705a74d0f.jpg

Double dry hopped King Sue DIPA from Toppling Goliath in Dechora IA. Tropical, big citrus and mango aroma. A straight up hop bomb! All kinds of fresh citrus and tropical fruit flavor, has some pithy dryness with a juicy green finish. Super fresh, bottled 12 days prior so I guess it is good and fresh! 

IMG_4103.thumb.jpg.a26a0e9087c2d3e0b72ef2eceb5c59dc.jpg

Mosaic Dry Hop Pseudo Sue Pale Ale from Toppling Goliath in Dechora IA. Has that standard for TG tropical fruit and citrus aroma. Another fresh one, ripe orange, a hint of that pithy bitter of an orange peel, some ripe lemon and a hint of tropical fruit, sweet up front but the pithy dry finish balances it right out and makes you want another sip, Damn I love these fresh hazy IPA's!

IMG_4108.thumb.jpg.85146314f50f6761519b3506cb91e57a.jpg

Jalapeno Pepper Ale, Wheat ale with jalapeno peppers from Bent River Brewing in Rock Island, IL.
Not much on the nose, a hint of fruit maybe. So the Chile flavor is up front, not the heat but the fruity sweet you get when you roast a Chile. The wheat beer base is there front to back. The pepper heat shows up at the end but not what I would call hot, just leaves that warmth behind. Really drinkable but I foresee possible issues with large quantities.

IMG_4113.thumb.jpg.974bb89901d0be75b474adf2da7db474.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

OFYMD Imperial Stout w/ Pineapple and Coconut, produced and bottled for Eviltwin by Westbrook Brewing Co. Mount Pleasant, SC. Inky black with the aroma of dried prunes. Has a bit of that wild cherry syrup thing going on up front, the tart from the pineapple keeps the sweet short, that tart fades to a smoky bitter near the finish but the bitter fades fast to leave a hint of coconut and malt. Complex, I'll grab another if I see it.

IMG_4135.thumb.jpg.a0bc18cbacf0e0176a864cae06bf3a73.jpg

New Belgium 1554, part of the Belgian series from that Colorado company. I don't think I ever drank a beer in Belgium but this sure reminds me of some brews they served us in Luxembourg. Has some spice on the nose with a hint of booze. For sure some spices in this stuff, allspice maybe, has a clean fresh tasting base like a new blonde ale( @RsquaredI swear there is some Miller High life in there:thumbup:) A nice clean dry finish with just the faintest bit of clove like astringent that lingers.

IMG_4144.thumb.jpg.ab328151d650bfd0438fa58a0ead7bf8.jpg

1 hour ago, jtallen83 said:

New Belgium 1554, part of the Belgian series from that Colorado company. I don't think I ever drank a beer in Belgium but this sure reminds me of some brews they served us in Luxembourg. Has some spice on the nose with a hint of booze. For sure some spices in this stuff, allspice maybe, has a clean fresh tasting base like a new blonde ale( @RsquaredI swear there is some Miller High life in there:thumbup:) A nice clean dry finish with just the faintest bit of clove like astringent that lingers.

IMG_4144.thumb.jpg.ab328151d650bfd0438fa58a0ead7bf8.jpg

You drank that Bourbon county I send you yet?

14 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Nope, that bottle just screams special occasion and the holidays just didn't provide the opportunity, could be I'll have to make up a special occasion soon :thumbup:

If you like it I can keep you in steady supply. I get it tho that’s how I was with my  first bottle. 

• 3 weeks later...

@jtallen83 I’m not as good at putting these brews into words like you do but lions bridge has been a solid brewery! 

the spice must follow from lions bridge brewery, a dark ale with maple and cinnamon and nutmeg. Cinnamon/nutmeg on the front with a roasty bitter maple finish. This beer tastes like winter molassas/rye and pancakes all in a liquid beverage 

75B3E142-828F-4393-B448-ECF6E381385D.jpeg

Edited by shepp

5 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

They have been and with a wide variety. Sadly there was nothing new from them here this last month. Zeelander from TG was on the shelf, and sitting on mine :thumbup:

I see sun reaper dropped last week, I need to pick some of that up 

Honey Luna  Honey Amarillo DIPA from Nocoast Beer Co in Oskaloosa, Iowa. Has a real malty ale and biscuit aroma with a hint citrus. That malt backbone with honey is there right up front, same as aroma with the biscuit in there, I think Marzen not IPA, even a bit of that banana in the middle then some citrus, like lemon lime citrus, then wham, a good dose of dry pine for a finish. Good, I don't get a real sweet honey but it's there, this is one of the widest flavor profiles I've experienced, a sip tells a story.

IMG_4180.thumb.jpg.cac56a9eecf7181fcf728caffc21f439.jpg

I like the description you gave and the color, I was original thinking about the town in Texas rather than the color, I bet we can't find this at Walmart or at a local watering hole.  My son in law in Lubbock can find it if there is a few cans anywhere in Texas, I will send him a picture and see if he will look.

Vanilla Cherry Stout, Bourbon barrel aged from Central Waters Brewing in Amherst, WI. Been seeing more of their stuff on the shelves here, lots of barrel aged offerings. Has that booze on the nose, a hint of smoke. Touch of booze up front, goes quickly to a REAL fresh cherry taste, like in real fresh tart cherries off the tree flavor. That tart is balanced by that creamy you get from the vanilla, as the cherry fade you get that smoky stout backbone with the vanilla for balance again. A very enjoyable sipper, not as heavy as some of these fancy beers can be but NOT short on flavor. 

IMG_4185.thumb.jpg.1eae700a6168220604c4a31bcc62b139.jpg