• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

BEER, Reviews and Opinions

jtallen83

31 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Vanilla Cherry Stout, Bourbon barrel aged from Central Waters Brewing in Amherst, WI. Been seeing more of their stuff on the shelves here, lots of barrel aged offerings. Has that booze on the nose, a hint of smoke. Touch of booze up front, goes quickly to a REAL fresh cherry taste, like in real fresh tart cherries off the tree flavor. That tart is balanced by that creamy you get from the vanilla, as the cherry fade you get that smoky stout backbone with the vanilla for balance again. A very enjoyable sipper, not as heavy as some of these fancy beers can be but NOT short on flavor. 

IMG_4185.thumb.jpg.1eae700a6168220604c4a31bcc62b139.jpg

They make some great BA beers

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zeelander IPA with New Zealand's Nelson Sauvin hops from Toppling Goliath in Dechora IA. Mostly citrus on the nose but I think I smelled a little rising bread dough. A fresh hop bomb front to back, ripe grapefruit with sweet pineapple, mandarin orange up front, lemon zest in the middle turning to a floral pine like dry bitter. You can feel the hop resin coating your mouth, I really like this beer. 

IMG_4170.thumb.jpg.5ea7daa61a90eafc5f63df0a4062d7d1.jpg

Raspberry Milk Stout from Left Hand Brewing in Longmont CO. I can get a hint of raspberry on the nose with some smoky touches. Starts out with hints of a raspberry shake, fresh ripe raspberries, finishes with notes of coffee and a smoky malt. Lighter than I expected, a tasty after dinner beer.

IMG_4187.thumb.jpg.09700b9bf6f84a5c9d1ea24f60ff0cbc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sir Mocha, Mocha Stout from Exile Brewing in Des Moines, Iowa. You get a little mocha latte aroma. And yeah it drinks like a cold mocha latte with extra shot of espresso but on the less sweet side. Only the finish lets you know you are drinking a stout with that roasted smoky malt hint.

IMG_4203.thumb.jpg.7419382df3fb4d4eaf7bb190700e0dcc.jpg

On 3/23/2021 at 5:19 PM, jtallen83 said:

Raspberry Milk Stout from Left Hand Brewing in Longmont CO. I can get a hint of raspberry on the nose with some smoky touches. Starts out with hints of a raspberry shake, fresh ripe raspberries, finishes with notes of coffee and a smoky malt. Lighter than I expected, a tasty after dinner beer.

IMG_4187.thumb.jpg.09700b9bf6f84a5c9d1ea24f60ff0cbc.jpg

All their beers are pretty thin/light I myself am not a huge fan. I like my stouts like my ladies...............thicccccc and chewy

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, DNP said:

Your view is just terrible. How can you possibly enjoy a beer while having to stare out at that?!

You're one to talk fuker. You're view is gonna end up being pretty nice.

And yes. That background view of Sisco's is outstanding. And I'm not even a water type of guy.

• 2 weeks later...

We should be finding mushrooms but the lack of moisture may ruin another season. Thankfully TG just dropped their morel mushroom brew, no mushroom in it just their way of celebrating the tradition. Second year I've had this, can't think of anything to change on last years thoughts;

Scorpius Morchella DIPA by Toppling Goliath Brewing in Decorha Iowa. Pop the top and your nose is met with sweet fresh OJ, a citrus burst. You don't notice the light malty aroma till you get the stuff right on your face. The taste is fantastic, spring for sure with a wonderful green flavor start to finish, fresh ripe citrus, maybe a bit of pineapple on the upfront side, real creamy. The end shows a little bitter but only enough to make the beer not to sweet, balance is dead on with this brew. Changes as it warms, more sweet and more bitter but still maintains that balance, Fuk'n good schit! Really reminds me of a brew they do with some New Zealand hops that I really liked.  Buy when you see it in the spring, it's a once a year batch at Morel mushroom time.  I will be jumping on more of this stuff.

IMG_4242.thumb.jpg.3ec5f25a2c1d0edbae0d2a59c7dd9802.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2021 at 8:47 AM, DNP said:

Your view is just terrible. How can you possibly enjoy a beer while having to stare out at that?!

On 4/19/2021 at 7:22 PM, Rsquared said:

You're one to talk fuker. You're view is gonna end up being pretty nice.

And yes. That background view of Sisco's is outstanding. And I'm not even a water type of guy.

I waded through a mile of brush to find this place in 1987. Glad I did.Didn’t have a neighbor within a mile for the first four years. Now it is a suburban development and all the wildlife has moved out. Still have views though. This is the Coast Guard dropping the navigation Buoy Tuesday.

2D667D1A-A860-4FE7-96F7-511A9AD5B3CA.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Ferrari Backpack DIPA with Riwaka, Strata, Citra, Sabro, and Amarillo hops, a collaboration from Toppling Goliath and Lua Brewing. Aroma is citrus but a very sweet floral citrus. Hop BOMB alert! This schit is loaded with citrus, tropical fruit, floral, grassy dank, every flavor you think of when you think IPA and some I couldn't have thought of. Starts out with a creamy orange pop citrus, hints of tropical fruit chime in then a nice fresh pineapple that fades, you think your done but no, a touch of pith goes quickly to a tartness I am not familiar with in a beer, gooseberries came to mind? It finishes with dank, floral and grassy but a bit different, must be those funky named hops I have never heard of. Sticking with the high class theme of this beer I proclaim it an orchestra of hops!

IMG_4258.thumb.jpg.bbec915873884d656e989f09977b8f74.jpg

IMG_4259.thumb.jpg.b49d45453c471d5846893c42b2dcaf18.jpgIMG_4260.thumb.jpg.0133ac071092c0d99a06bf2cce4f1723.jpg

Edited by jtallen83

• 1 month later...

Imperial Golden Nugget DIPA in a can from Toppling Goliath Brewing in Decorha Iowa. Aroma is faint, citrus on the ripe side. Tasting grapefruit juice up front, fresh  orange juice, the mango is there, goes to a grassy pine in the middle with some creamy dank at the end. Same complex, deep flavor of the previous batch in bottles, sweet then a little bitter, tropical fruit notes, one of my favorites from these guys be it Imperial or the standard.

IMG_4317.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Pompeii Beach from Toppling Goliath Brewing Company. It's common to reference different tropical fruits when describing the flavors in a good IPA, this one has those flavors, not the hop flavors that tastes like mango and pineapple but from an abundance of those fruit juices added to the ale. It's not gross but it's for sure not my thing, give me back my hops!

IMG_4328.thumb.jpg.64030ad3021f760c8b9d067eeb6736a9.jpg