• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

BEER, Reviews and Opinions

jtallen83

Thanks For Letting Us Play Tonight from Hoof Hearted Brewing in North Haven Conn. It's double dry hopped pale ale, aroma is a basic IPA, this one a little less citrus and more grass and pine. Flavor is thick, starts out a little pineapple and tropical melon but runs head long into a grapefruit pith fest. This gives way to a floral and pine note that actually seems to mellow the pithy dry in the middle. Crack for hop junkies………..

IMG_3065.thumb.jpg.dbd097f1842604441b6c59e25d21a30b.jpgIMG_3067.thumb.jpg.ad1ba25c88f3766b328078f2bcf56391.jpg

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Duck, Duck, JUICE! Hazy India Pale Ale from Cahoots Brewing, brewed and canned by Church Street Brewing Co in Itasca, IL. So the first thing to mind when I take whiff is juicy fruit gum. This one is a serious moving target of flavors. Starting I get some green grass bitter, light pine bitter, That gets washed away with a banana and malt sweetness. Then some tropical fruit flies by with a citrus chaser that brings it back to the dry side. It's not really fair to give these first or last flavors as they just keep bouncing back and forth long after a sip, This is a Peruvian flake for hop heads……..

IMG_3069.thumb.jpg.b4cee823116083851159d48e95ace82b.jpg

2 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Duck, Duck, JUICE! Hazy India Pale Ale from Cahoots Brewing, brewed and canned by Church Street Brewing Co in Itasca, IL. So the first thing to mind when I take whiff is juicy fruit gum. This one is a serious moving target of flavors. Starting I get some green grass bitter, light pine bitter, That gets washed away with a banana and malt sweetness. Then some tropical fruit flies by with a citrus chaser that brings it back to the dry side. It's not really fair to give these first or last flavors as they just keep bouncing back and forth long after a sip, This is a Peruvian flake for hop heads……..

IMG_3069.thumb.jpg.b4cee823116083851159d48e95ace82b.jpg

They make a really good barrel aged scotch ale

19 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Beer pusher had four offerings from them, I picked up two. He said he was trying to get more beer from the Illinois/Wisconsin area, like I don't spend enough!

Lol I spent a good chunk today, but I figured distro is gonna be pretty tight here for awhile 

Appropriate titled beer for the times, Only Hell Can Save Us Now double dry hopped milkshake IPA brewed by  Dorchester Brewing Boston Mass. For Abomination Brewing Co., distributed by 12%. Mild fresh cut grass and floral aroma. There is so much going on in the flavor, tropical fruit, guava and a tart berry up front going to a slightly bitter grassy floral taste. There is some of that citrus pith dryness but it is held back by the sweet from the vanilla and lactose. At the end I am left with the passion fruit and raspberry hints. Good but not the best from Abomination, maybe leave out all the fruit additions and let the hops shine more.

IMG_3078.thumb.jpg.912f52660ede278b5d2ad410f3e8a14a.jpgIMG_3080.thumb.jpg.70a8630f51a6bfae587533e0642c12ad.jpg

Another apropos title for the times, Are We Having Fun Yet? Double dry hopped party pale ale brewed and canned for Hoof Hearted Brewing by Great South Bay Brewery in Bay Shore NY.
Aroma is a mild citrus, orange blossom came to mind with the first whiff. Mouthfeel is above average by a good bit, silky smooth, light, creamy, a touch of that oily feel. Flavor starts a little citrusy then I get that tropical fruit note, maybe passion fruit. Finishes a little pithy dry with that fresh cut grass note and some floral hints. SO easy to drink and a very unique flavor, I'm having fun now!

IMG_3085.thumb.jpg.4332329e1bbf28c54cd03dabe0bb0480.jpg

Roads? Where We're Going We Don't Need Roads DIPA brewed and canned for Hoof Hearted Brewing by Great South Bay Brewery in Bay Shore NY. A sweet citrus aroma with a hint of bread. Hop gravy, so good, makes me stutter. There is a hint of lemonade, ripe orange akin to a creamsicle. I get some pineapple, melon, and some floral notes. Ends with a tingly orange pith but not overly dry pith, just gets better and better as it warms, smooth schit . This is a hop bomb, a fresh hop bomb, go get some if you can, unless you are headed to where there are no roads which isn't a bad idea right now.

IMG_3095.thumb.jpg.fc9e3f8925b9e45372a5788138c33597.jpg

The best beer I’ve had in a very long time, and that is saying something!!! My buddy’s new brewery in a colander with a bigger local brewery, resulting that good good!!!!

I'm going to try to get a couple more and maybe send out care packages to my two beer buds if I can get some.

CF05F950-56EC-432B-A10F-36E908A6FD66.jpeg

1603AEDF-4955-4796-B6DA-A20B6F6836A5.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Nitro Cold Brew Cream Ale from New Belgium Brewing of Fort Collins, CO. and Asheville, N.C. Aroma is coffee and a bread dough with a hint of chocolate. Flavor is a good coffee with hints of a dark chocolate, just a little smoky malt bitter in the finish. Not a bad beer but with so many others that are several steps up in this category there is no reason to buy another.

IMG_3130.thumb.jpg.6c1d8c4e46fc01e6f3e952d02e5ce444.jpg

Anthrohophagous DIPA Double dry hopped from Abomination Brewing Co, brewed and canned by Great South Bay Brewery in Bay Shore NY. Has a fruity citrus aroma, just a hint of malt. WOW! This is a hop bomb, a fresh hop bomb from start to finish. Get this list of hop varieties used, Bru-1,Galaxy, Simcoe, Denali, Pacific Jade, Vic Secret, Summer Ella, Mosaic, Belma, and Loral, this schit is ambrosia. Starts with a green grass and pine hint then there is some citrus and citrus pith dry, Papaya, mango, grapefruit, Juicyfruit gum, it just rolls right through all those hop flavor signatures. It has that rich oily mouthfeel, a little fizzy. The flavor hangs around waxing and waning between notes for so long I feel like I need a toothpick to get the hops from between my teeth! The artwork on the label is fitting to say the least. Get some, you will not regret it.

IMG_3132.thumb.jpg.9a2a7af9a853e8a52780aa3ba2251b05.jpgIMG_3134.thumb.jpg.538afac054d1eaa083ab87d2456ae518.jpg

Even More 8lb 6oz Newborn Infant Jesus Milk Stout from Eviltwin Brewing in Stratford Conn. Distributed by 12%. Has a cinnamon coffee aroma. Flavor is a super heavy dark roast coffee up front, the coffee keeps going with hints of a spicy cinnamon and a dark chocolate following it up. The coffee keeps going finishing with an almost burnt bitter. This schit's gonna keep me up for hours! Coffee lovers will die for this one.

IMG_3140.thumb.jpg.4e570869214b17985fb9995ff29bc877.jpg

Brewcifer DIPA  brewed and canned by Church Street Brewing Co in Itasca, IL. Has a light citrus and melon aroma with some malty hints. Some mango and papaya , a little orange up front, a malty backbone and a floral bitter like finish with a hint of sweet. Very fresh tasting brew, slamable if it wasn't a double, well still slamable but 9% ABV so be aware. I will buy more if I see it.

IMG_3149.thumb.jpg.12fb634bc91a157aab6869c074606098.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Accept DDH Pale Ale Brewed and canned for Stillwater Artisanal by Great South Bay Brewery in Bay Shore NY. Distributed by 12%. Nice tropical fruit aroma with a hint of fresh bread. Flavor is FRESH tropical fruit, mango, papaya, guava, touch of lime, some grapefruit and pineapple. Has some of that pithy dry at the end but balanced well with some malty sweetness so it ends real crisp and clean.

IMG_3171.thumb.jpg.cc601b847369ba2d44721c84aabb4970.jpg

Strobe Light DDHIPA Brewed and canned for Stillwater Artisanal by Dorechester Brewing of Boston, Mass. and Distributed by 12%. A little lemon and grapefruit aroma, just a hint of bread. Nice slightly dry and pithy citrus flavors, grapefruit and a sweeter lemon. Just a hint of that green grass and floral note at the finish, tart not sour and on the dry side. 

IMG_3175.jpg

While I like a good beer like anyone else, I'm not really a connoisseur or a 'beer snob' or even an experimentalist. Usually it's something like a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat or sometimes a more potent brew like Arrogant Bastard. And right this minute I'm having a Red.

Killian Irish Red.jpg

Edited by William Flatt
misspelling

2 hours ago, RedRiverII said:

When I'm drinking, I prefer chilled swill,  with just a dash of puke,  and mosquito wings for fiber.  Ah,  the old days,  I wish I remembered them.

I agree. Where I usually enjoy a freshly brewed (by the million barrel vat) MGD, the local store was out when I stopped by this afternoon.

So I went with this.

Beer.thumb.jpg.7c6edec27a29026b3ad7eabaa28b2050.jpg

Mainstream Pop Song DIPA , brewed and canned for Stillwater Artisanal by Dorechester Brewing of Boston, Mass. and Distributed by 12%. Bananas and bubblegum hit my nose. Before a flavor note hits you notice how thick and creamy the beer is. Has some malty banana and juicy fruit gum up front. Sweetness goes to a dryer bitter with a floral note, touch of pine, leaves how it arrives only a dry bubblegum and banana. Good beer, very fresh tasting. These guys are starting to impress me, I will buy more.

IMG_3179.jpg