• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

BEER, Reviews and Opinions

jtallen83

Galactica DIPA from Clown Shoes in Boston, Mass. A hint of lemon lime aroma but mostly get a malty fresh beer smell. The malty bread dough flavor outpaces the hops up front but it quickly goes to an old school hop bitter. If you think the name means you will get a classic galaxy hop flavor you're not. More what I have tasted in west coast IPA's with Cascade hops. Never been a fan of the old school IPA's and this one fits that bill. 

IMG_3476.thumb.jpg.4a2635ee9e21e7fa0c0a570e1e643302.jpg

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, Rsquared said:

I love the name of the brewery. That should be the name of the company I work for. Daywalker will understand that.

Ha! Clown Shoe brewery, that’s fantastic. That name works for my current company as well, though I usually just call it The Circus Act. 🤡🤡🤡

Goose Island announced their annual bourbon county stout releases.  Somehow they make it down to my podunk town in limited supply.  I have never had one I didn’t enjoy. They average  $10+ per bottle but are worth it if you like bourbon stouts.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/drink/ct-food-bourbon-county-2020-goose-island-chicago-20200811-au5z3bmyqff27ds6tsm6fvoeqi-story.html

33 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Goose Island announced their annual bourbon county stout releases.  Somehow they make it down to my podunk town in limited supply.  I have never had one I didn’t enjoy. They average  $10+ per bottle but are worth it if you like bourbon stouts.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/drink/ct-food-bourbon-county-2020-goose-island-chicago-20200811-au5z3bmyqff27ds6tsm6fvoeqi-story.html

They’re pretty much nation wide. I’ll bring a couple down this fall, I owe you

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Dolphin Sparkles DIPA from Toppling Goliath in Decorah Iowa. Has a real mild aroma, hints of malt and fresh cut grass. Very soft, creamy mouth feel, the malt comes through up front then the hops kick in, some citrus pith, pine, and a bit of dank flavor. Another fantastic beer from TG!

IMG_3649.thumb.jpg.8ab517c70052fc84bacd28646e2f081c.jpg

Drinking one right now

King Sue double dry hopped DIPA by Toppling Goliath Brewing in Decorha Iowa, my beer pusher brought this bomber out from the back, he is well tuned to my preferences, a first class pusher! Citrus on the nose, maybe some floral hints. Super fresh tasting, loads of citrus, a little mango and pineapple. Finish is a bit of pithy bitter but  balanced by a sweet malty note. Get some if you see it!

IMG_3654.thumb.jpg.7d9c65fced165757c7dcec35d1dc242c.jpg

Glampfire Victuals Golden Pale Ale from Hubbards Cave brewed by UNE Annee Brewery in Niles IL. Has a mild citrus aroma with a sweet bread dough behind it. Has a sweet malty flavor up front, transitions to some citrus then dives off into a mild piney bitter. The finish has a floral spicy note, a touch of clove maybe. Not my favorite style but a good solid basic IPA.

IMG_3669.thumb.jpg.98b2b16b7c9df02518b17d767276fb08.jpg

On 9/22/2020 at 5:24 PM, jtallen83 said:

Glampfire Victuals Golden Pale Ale from Hubbards Cave brewed by UNE Annee Brewery in Niles IL. Has a mild citrus aroma with a sweet bread dough behind it. Has a sweet malty flavor up front, transitions to some citrus then dives off into a mild piney bitter. The finish has a floral spicy note, a touch of clove maybe. Not my favorite style but a good solid basic IPA.

IMG_3669.thumb.jpg.98b2b16b7c9df02518b17d767276fb08.jpg

Great brewery, great people! They just expanded they were in an old strip mall. They do BBQ now too it looks great

On 9/15/2020 at 8:49 PM, shepp said:

Drinking one right now

Oh my Lord, the though of you drinking "Dolphin Sparkles" is a little unsettling to old "billy magg", although to confess I've been a little disappointed with my beer sampling. On a really sad note, Baileys is up to $27.00, I do have a recipe for an Irish Cream that's actually pretty amazing on those cold winter nights. We may have to come up with an alternative to "Danger in the Desert" hosted by some of our own 308 AR alum in Arizona... those guys go for the "hard stuff", lol

Mustache Mania DIPA from Exile Brewing in Des Moines, Iowa. Aroma was busting out with ripe orange, smelled sweet. Flavor up front is orange cream pop but quickly goes to a citrus pith bitter that tones down the sweet. That citrus turns to a spicy green and pine. Not overbearing but loud, the head hangs in there as the name suggests, these guys are putting out some good beer…..just need a bigger bottle.

IMG_3684.thumb.jpg.91bc4e81618ae1f66c1e9e6973e6cf63.jpg

Haze Cake  DIPA from Clown Shoes in Boston, Mass. You can smell the malt up front along with a lemon zest freshness. Interesting style. The maltiness is sweet but not thick, has a bit of a boozy burn in there. It finishes with a fizzy lemon  bitter with a floral note. I wouldn't buy four but I'm glad I bought one…..does that make any sense?

IMG_3688.thumb.jpg.14cb25c69c8d86380a138f6d8959ffb6.jpg

Dragon Fandango, beer with Mango, passion fruit, and dragon fruit  by Toppling Goliath Brewing in Decorha Iowa. Smells sour with hints of a ripe fruit. Sweet and sour flavor, the sweet fades and the sour comes on. I can taste the mango and passion fruit, don't have a clue what dragon fruit is but the beer is fruity. Normally not my thing but I find this beer refreshing, smoother than other sours I have had. 

IMG_3696.thumb.jpg.0bfe84692980038567af2331181125d2.jpg

Zen Garden DIPA from Clown Shoes in Boston, Mass. Has a nice citrus aroma with a touch of breadieness. Backward tasting from most hazy IPA's, has a good astringent citrus bitter right up front then fades into a ripe orange tropical fruit note. Light feeling, pretty crushable for a double.

IMG_3731.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Maya Belgian inspired IPA brewed by UNE Annee Brewery in Niles IL. Has a light citrus aroma with a bread dough behind it. Has a bit of a sweet malty flavor up front with a mild astringent bitter following, the malty bread backbone goes throughout. Sweet, bitter, creamy, reminds me very much of those local small town beers I ran across in Germany, good schit!

IMG_3807.jpg

Terpy Nelson DIPA from American Solera of New Haven, CT distributed by 12%. Has that classic citrusy hop aroma. Flavors are more subdued than I expected. A little citrus and melon, kinda tastes like a melon fruit does close to the rind, a little weak and watery. Pass on it and you won't miss much.

IMG_3860.thumb.jpg.7ec8d44b273b4afdb545a871110a51db.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A bizarre beer for a bizarre day, Blackberry Cream Pop DIPA from Decadent Ales, brewed and canned by Dorchester Brewing Co. Boston Mass. for Decadent Ales and distributed by 12%. I never realized blackberry had a smell but that is what I think it smells like….the power of suggestion maybe? Tastes like blackberries on ice cream, or as close as a beer can be. Has a touch of bitter at the finish that balances the creamy sweet. Cured my after dinner sweet tooth and gave me a moments respite from thinking about how fuqed this country is…… 

IMG_3869.thumb.jpg.2bd8c31382acc6197bc6bdf8e12f2a1e.jpg