• Visit Sportsmans Guide

BEER, Reviews and Opinions

jtallen83

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

@shepp I found one of these beside the 2019 version.  Both are very good as you would expect.  Lots of dark chocolate flavor with a touch of coffee and the hint of bourbon.

IMG_20201109_202423.jpg

Wow that’s not suppose to drop till Black Friday!!

Oktoberfest Marzen Lager from Left Hand Brewing Company. Big banana aroma up front, hint of malty sweet. Good beer, some mild bitter up front but creamy from the start as well. The creamy goes to that banana and bubblegum kind of sweet then finishes with a mild and clean touch of bitter. For all the rich  flavors the beer lays light in the belly, a true fest beer. 
IMG_3921.thumb.jpg.7ba7234f003ebdd94b1f0fc724f8ebe6.jpg

Ok, broke the one a day rule. Churro Sombrero, Mexican style chocolate stout from Clown Shoes. Cocoa powder and cinnamon on the nose. Flavor starts the same, dark chocolates, creamy cocoa, the vanilla stands out in the middle, hints of coffee and a bit of smoky goodness in the finish. Another beer that looks and tastes much heavier than it actually drinks.  

IMG_3924.thumb.jpg.1b8eaf00c0f65f4c91b6b80a95102df4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Oktobot 3000 barrel aged imperial Oktoberfest style from Lion Bridge Brewing in Cedar Rapids Iowa. Whisky on the nose and right up front on the flavor. Not an overpowering booze hit but a nice mild flavorful taste. Behind that there is a sweeter malty caramel note with some of that woodsy char hanging out at the end. Different in a good way.

IMG_3957.thumb.jpg.3ef145a25da1e5276a98374c228370c1.jpg

2 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Oktobot 3000 barrel aged imperial Oktoberfest style from Lion Bridge Brewing in Cedar Rapids Iowa. Whisky on the nose and right up front on the flavor. Not an overpowering booze hit but a nice mild flavorful taste. Behind that there is a sweeter malty caramel note with some of that woodsy char hanging out at the end. Different in a good way.

Ohhhhh I didn’t realize that was BA, I’ve never had a BA marzen 

5 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

2020 Recap pale ale from Evil Twin Brewing. Very fruity aroma, melon and mango come to mind, hint of citrus. Like 2020 it starts out with a touch of sweet, melon flavor, but quickly went to the bitter side. Has a nice pithy bitter with a little dankness. The beer is much better than the year!

IMG_3955.thumb.jpg.63ba2fa731e8a357dbb0448cc81dbe96.jpg

Kinda figured it’d just taste like Corona. 

speaking of which, they need a way to distribute cold vaccines all over the place...how good would that marketing campaign be to deliver in Corona trucks...or have Budweiser do it with a big - “Anti-Corona” painted on the side. 

3 hours ago, Magwa said:

Do any of you degenerates ever drink any scotch ale? I have a love affair with "Pikes Kilt Lifter" I will get some today and post a picture man I love the caramel ,and the thickness of it and the taste is so unique I also Love "New Castle"...

Scotch ales are some of my favs and barrel aged are awesome 

oskar blues outta Colorado makes a good one

Edited by shepp

On 11/24/2020 at 6:11 PM, jtallen83 said:

This was interesting, I really like marzens, I really like barrel aged beers. the barrel seems to kinda killout shine the marzen end but still a good beer! 

Edited by shepp

2 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

That fits what I've been thinking of their beers, they don't hit them out of the park but they make solid doubles regular.

I had the collapse the multiverse tonight too. Good beer nothings special or over the top, but a solid ipa 

Molotov Surprise from Evil Twin Brewing of Stratford, Conn. Citrus aroma with hints of malt. It is a bit of a surprise, starts out with a malty caramel flavor but quickly gives you a burst of grapefruit, not grapefruit juice but like you took a bite out of one. Finishes with a pithy dry bitter. Should have a warning label, you would never know it's 12% ABV without it written on the can.

IMG_3970.thumb.jpg.f0e689deafb8fea47ad930f1f7286083.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 6:11 PM, jtallen83 said:

Now that sounds good!

Me Time hazy IPA from Lion Bridge Brewing in Cedar Rapids Iowa. Pillowy white foam on the pour, thick creamy head. Fresh green on the nose, pine and dank with a touch of fresh cut front yard. So there is a good punch of citrus, orange and lemon up front, some orange cream pop in the middle but that sweet is balanced by a fresh green bitter, pine and dank on the finish. Taste fresh like most of what these guys do. 

IMG_4028.thumb.jpg.e1c65c76fa9d3809feed6a2ed285acb4.jpg

Brought to me by a Brother in Wisconsin, Summer Shadows wheat ale with some fruit, from Pipeworks Brewing Co. of Chicago, ILL. I can smell the sour fruit and the wheat beer breadiness. I had always said I didn't like sour beers but then I had some like this sour. It has that bread dough tartness with fresh fruit on it. There is some sweet, some sour, some dry white wine, lots of flavors but none over powers the other. Brings me back to liter glasses of fresh wheat beer with a big slice of lemon in it, I catch myself gulping it down the same way, VERY drinkable.

IMG_4037.thumb.jpg.fa6ef47e1f80800e262b34974ba43b79.jpg

1 minute ago, jtallen83 said:

Brought to me by a Brother in Wisconsin, Summer Shadows wheat ale with some fruit, from Pipeworks Brewing Co. of Chicago, ILL. I can smell the sour fruit and the wheat beer breadiness. I had always said I didn't like sour beers but then I had some like this sour. It has that bread dough tartness with fresh fruit on it. There is some sweet, some sour, some dry white wine, lots of flavors but none over powers the other. Brings me back to liter glasses of fresh wheat beer with a big slice of lemon in it, I catch myself gulping it down the same way, VERY drinkable.

IMG_4037.thumb.jpg.fa6ef47e1f80800e262b34974ba43b79.jpg

That one came out the wrong time of year, would be a great hot July IA/WI day beer