• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Bacon

Sisco

Next to BBQ, what is near and dear to the hearts of meat eaters? BACON!!!!

With so many brands out there, the purpose of this thread is to share your favorite store brands and recipes for home made bacon.

One brand I recently tried and found outstanding was Dailys thick cut bacon out of Salt Lake City. Good taste, good meat fat ratio, and a nice cure, It is right up there with my other favorite, Wrights apple smoked thick cut. I do my bacon.in the oven now, and these come out crispy and flavorful. Pricey at $8.99 for 1.5 lbs. But often on sale for $5.99 which comes to $3.99 / lb. About the same as budget brands

20180621_082244.jpg

Edited by Sisco

My hometown is said to smoke more bacon than any other single location in the world. The Smithfield Farms Farmland plant there was killing 14,000 hogs a day, that's 28,000 bellies to smoke! There is another plant there that does nothing but bacon, no idea what their production or brands is. The address on the package could be from about anywhere but a very large amount of what you see on the shelf is actually processed in Denison, Iowa. 

https://www.smithfieldfoods.com/our-brands

Our local butchers are all over the map on their bacon. Some are excellent, while the butcher I get my cow from, is great with beef and hams, but I really don’t like his bacon. We have one butcher shop that dates from 1921’ that is located on a farm about 35 miles away, really in the boonies, that has excellent bacon. For years I would take a trip out there on my motorcycle and load up my saddlebags with packs of bacon and ice wrapped in plastic and crammed in my saddlebags, and bring it home. Kind of miss that trip, but they closed their smokehouse 4 years ago, and started to bring in bacon from Minnesota.

15 hours ago, Sisco said:

Wrights apple smoked thick cut.

That's my favorite right there. I usually buy it in the 5 pound packages also. I cook it in it's own grease in a pan on a stove top. keep it nice and soft... wife likes hers crispy, she wants all her meat ruined though. ?

15 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

That's my favorite right there. I usually buy it in the 5 pound packages also. I cook it in it's own grease in a pan on a stove top. keep it nice and soft... wife likes hers crispy, she wants all her meat ruined though. ?

I’m with ur ol lady crisp is king!! 

Fuck soggy ass limp dick bacon 

Edited by shepp

7 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

Just stay away from Wrights Maple Sugar cured bacon. They use way too much of it. Covers up the natural taste of the bacon.

14 hours ago, shepp said:

I’m with ur ol lady chirps is king!! 

fornicate soggy ass limp dick bacon 

The polite term is flaccid. lol.

This post is making me hungry... and I am trying to get back in shape. Just other reason you guys are a bad influence, it's why I love you all. ?