• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

98's 16" M4 Grendel

98Z5V

This kinda sneaked up on me, and I didn't even know it.  I blame it on @Matt.Cross, completely.  He ambushed me by leaving parts laying around my house, after the Spring Shoot.  He knew exactly what he was doing by doing that - but I didn't know what he was doing.  I'm telling you, it was a straight-up ambush...

A few weeks ago, when I discovered what these "left behind parts" really were, I asked him about them, and shiit just sky-rocketed after that.  Killer deals for Independence sales, etc., it was outta control.

This project quickly turned into a 16" Grendel M4 setup.  In a WEEK.  It's fucking stupid. I can explain it, but I'm too frustrated to explain it now, after the set-up that I was tricked into, "by my buddy..."   :laffs:

All I need to do to get you guys complete pics of a complete rifle is swing in to my GUn Pushers Palace in the morning, and pick up a standard Aero lower.  Right after that, it's a complete Grendel.  #4, for the record.  These things are addictive, I warn you now.

Upper is done tonight.  All parts besides that lower are right here. Full description coming, once I get it all together.  Final optic will be a surprise - I have a plan...  

image.png.8697600fcf385d4aa2218b1356fcdd84.png

image.png.2de084312bfe6a57eff6f4abd2080696.png

image.png.ac997d79a76e9dbdd6c8441bdfb4bfdb.png

7 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

This has vastly increased the rate at which I drool all over myself...

It's "just another Grendel," brother...   :laffs:  The 12.5" does 850 yards with 10-ish mils of drop.  Ridiculous.  I don't know where it drops off at, and becomes "inaccurate."  We'll find out this Fall, though, and test that little bastard.

This 16" should be good for 1k yards, easy.  ... ...

How in the hell are we getting close to 1k yards with a 16" small-frame AR?!!?  This is unreal...  How the hell did we get to 850-ish yards with a 12.5" Grendel?!... 

This is just nuts.  I'm dumbfounded by this cartridge -  don't know how it does it. 

@washguy, how those 6.8 SPCs doin' for ya?...  :banana:

Edited by 98Z5V

You guys can't even imagine the problems I'm having with this TOTAL POS PSA RECEIVER EXTENSION.  

PSA fucking sucks - they can't find their as$ with both hands and a map, when it comes to large-frame components.  They fucking suck.

I figured I'd re-use that fucked up .308 system they sent a guy, and I bought it off him - ang gave him a real .308 Carbine Recoil system for it.  Yeah, I get it, gotta do something with the parts he sent me - the buffer is shiit, the recoil spring is REALLY shiit - but maybe I can re-use that receiver extension...

Fuk no, what a POS, from PSA.  A fucking B5 SOPMOD stock won't fit on it, without hammering the fucking thing on.  Oh, once you're there? Yeah, you have to hammer it OFF.

So, once I THINK I've got the problem figured out, and sanded down - the fucking locking pin in the collapsible stock WON'T lock into the PSA indentations.

REALLY?!!?  Did I NOT think to diassamemble the stock COMPLETELY, and MEASURE the fucking pin in the B5 stock, then MEASURE the HOLES that PSA put into their PA-10 receiver extension?!!?

Fuk no, I didn't think I'd have to do that.

PSA, you guys need to seriously unfuck what you're doing on your .308 recoil system.  I don't know how many times I need to tell you this, but your .308 recoil system needs totally fucking SCRAPPED, and you need to go back to the damn drawing board.  Un-fucking-real how fucked up this is.

ATTENTION!!! :  Anyone with a PSA large-frame AR.  THROW YOUR RECOIL SYSTEM IN THE TRASH.  IN. THE. TRASH.

SAVE YOUR HEADACHES, DON'T FUK AROUND, AND JUST FIND A "REAL" GENUINE ARMALITE AR-10 CARBINE RECOIL SYSTEM.

PSA CAN'T FIGURE THEIR SHIIT OUT.

EDIT - Hey, Josiah, Jamin's brother...  Maybe you should have seen that Jamin GOT my message to the girl in front, when I PM'd you and asked you to do that.  Maybe you should have called me back...  Your Large-Frame recoil system is so fucked up, I can't even descibe it...

LIsten to your customers, a$sholes...

Edited by 98Z5V

16 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

How in the hell are we getting close to 1k yards with a 16" small-frame AR?!!?  This is unreal...  How the hell did we get to 850-ish yards with a 12.5" Grendel?!... 

Fuk me, I gotta get a piece of this action. I do my best to limit my caliber inventory but the Grendel looks to be deserving of a slot. First I thought a 22 inch barrel would be the ticket but there just doesn't seem to be much gain over a 16 or 18, might even say fuk it and go the pistol route, an 850 yard pistol just sounds insane.

@98Z5V, Brother the whole damn community owes you for all the work you do on both large and small platform! If PSA doesn't want to pay attention then let them burn up their money. You have given them the book, obviously they ate the cover and can't figure out what's in it now. Wonder if they are just buying Chinese junk or if there QC can't get it together on their own machines? @Palmetto State Armory where you at Josiah? I want to buy one of these budget rifles but still waiting for consistency............on the positive side.

2 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Wonder if they are just buying Chinese junk or if there QC can't get it together on their own machines? @Palmetto State Armory where you at Josiah? I want to buy one of these budget rifles but still waiting for consistency............on the positive side.

They make all their own stuff, brother, here in the US of A - but they don't LISTEN. Apparently, they're immune to that. 

I have an H1 buffer from them that meets spec.  I will send that to anyone here that needs it, FREE, and you don't even have to pay shipping. I'll eat shipping just to get the PSA parts out of my house, and off my property.

I have a PSA 308 carbine recoil spring that I won't send to anybody, for anything.  I'm throwing it into the dumpster at work - it's fucking worthless. It doesn't even meet the minimum spec for a fucking AR-15 Carbine buffer spring, let alone for use in a Large-Frame AR.  What a piece of shiit.

I have a PA-10 receiver extension here that I will replace with a VLTOR A5 extension (6 or 7 position, whatever one I find cheaper at the time), or a REAL AR-10 Carbine Receiver Extension - interchangeable, between those two, because THEY know how to QC shiit...  the PA-10 Carbine Receiver Extension, I'm keeping.  I'm going to toss that thing in the fire at camp this Fall Shoot, and I'm going to dig up the molten aluminum blob that the fire makes of it - because that's what it's worth.  I'll save that fucking thing, get pictures, and I'll post that shiit anytime anyone asks about a PA-10 with a collapsible stock.  Every time I see it here.

In the meantime, I ripped apart a 308 rifle just to get it's AR-10 receiver extension, JUST so I could finish this fucking Grendel, which is running a VLTOR A5 recoil system. 

P1060459.thumb.JPG.fcd882b76dcab3021b40e2cfc32c35f9.JPG

28 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

First I thought a 22 inch barrel would be the ticket but there just doesn't seem to be much gain over a 16 or 18, might even say fuk it and go the pistol route, an 850 yard pistol just sounds insane.

It is insane.  I lost my shiit in the Spring Shoot, when we shot it for the first time. I got that thing done about a week before the spring shoot, and hadn't even shot it yet.

I figured, since it was short, that I'd HOPE to get it on at 500 yards.  DAMN!  Was I wrong, on that brother.  WAY wrong.  On the 18" Grendel I was 3.0 mils drop at 500 yards.  On the 12.5" Grendel, I was 4.0 mils drop...  fornicate me, this thing performs!  Matt and I stretched it out to the 845 target.  The short one was making impacts center-of-mass after dialing on the drop, and it was consistent as hell - I was nuts about that.  I couldn't contain myself...  I was so happy, I think I peed on Matt over it...  :banana:

The cartridge is fucking magic, man.  It's fucking magic.    You won't find anything in a small-frame AR that can beat it.  I hedge that up to the .224 Valk, too...   :thumbup:

3 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

It is insane.  I lost my shiit in the Spring Shoot, when we shot it for the first time. I got that thing done about a week before the spring shoot, and hadn't even shot it yet.

I figured, since it was short, that I'd HOPE to get it on at 500 yards.  DAMN!  Was I wrong, on that brother.  WAY wrong.  On the 18" Grendel I was 3.0 mils drop at 500 yards.  On the 12.5" Grendel, I was 4.0 mils drop...  fornicate me, this thing performs!  Matt and I stretched it out to the 845 target.  The short one was making impacts center-of-mass after dialing on the drop, and it was consistent as hell - I was nuts about that.  I couldn't contain myself...  I was so happy, I think I peed on Matt over it...  :banana:

The cartridge is fucking magic, man.  It's fucking magic.    You won't find anything in a small-frame AR that can beat it.  I hedge that up to the .224 Valk, too...   :thumbup:

Careful... You make it sound like too much fun and everyone will want a piece of the action. They'll be so distracted they'll forget to shoot your 6.5 Grendels.

98Z      All of my 6.8's are doing fine...lol.......what is this Hansel and Gretal  cartridge you speak of?....    :laffs:...all I know is   6.8 minus 6.5 leaves .3 to the good of the spc  2   :hornet:      effin math.....case closed! :laffs:   :thumbup:    Wash

@washguy Right on, brother!!!   :lmao:

I went through this thing to gather a price and get a parts list together. Kinda shocked at it, but to be fair, Matt left that rail at my house as an ambush - that would have easily moved this price north by $200, minimum...

$74 Bear Creek Arsenal barrel, 16" stainless carbine gas, M4 profile (Primary Arms sale). Just days after I ordered it, they put it on sale again for $49.  Damnit.
$34 Matrix stripped upper receiver (PA sale).
$164 to DSG Arms for: B5 stock, VLTOR A5 H buffer and spring, DSG lock plate and ring (RE), standard charging handle and PRI Combat Latch for it, Seekins enhanced bolt catch and hardware, port door kit and forward assist kit, mag catch parts, buffer retainer/spring, and carbine gas tube.
$75 to my Gun Pusher for the Aero Gen 2 stripped lower.
$74 to Huckleberry Arms (GREAT GUY!!!) for the Toolcraft nitrided 6.5G BCG.
$21 to Shooter's World (over the counter) for the RVG forward grip. Could have picked it up cheaper, but forgot to order it...
Rail came from Matt, as well as the pistol grip.  Had the MaTech BUIS and 30-cal A2 FH already.  Colt M4 FSB came out of the parts box to get modded. Takedown and pivot pins, springs, detents came out of the parts box. Regular old safety selector, pin and spring from the parts box. Enhanced trigger guard (aluminum one) from a batch of them, in the parts box.  
$200 to my tool truck guy at work - he sells gun parts.  Got the KE Arms SLT-1 trigger from him. That's the single most expensive thing so far.

$642 into this thing.  With a mil-spec trigger from the parts box, it could have been $442.  Pretty damn cool.

Gotta say, that SLT-1 trigger is pretty nice. Good, short single stage with very short reset. Light pull, minimal takeup (very short takeup!), and it breaks easy. They list the pull weight at 4.5lbs, but is sure does feel lighter than that.

P1060456.thumb.JPG.e8921d237fb297b762de145f9ebe51ed.JPG

P1060457.thumb.JPG.0e49a121b6142f160dd3e7606b5b4574.JPG

Never noticed this before - TactiCat has a Peace Symbol on the top of his head... 

P1060455.thumb.JPG.41bde58b2084ee065ec7ce34d1c3bdd1.JPG

12 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

So he uses that peace symbol like camouflage, crafty cat. :hail:

TactiCat is hilarious. If you try to buddy up to him, you'll be rebuffed swiftly and with extreme prejudice. Totally ignore him and do your own thing, he'll insist on introducing himself within minutes. He's absolutely nutty, just like his caretaker.

4 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

TactiCat is hilarious. If you try to buddy up to him, you'll be rebuffed swiftly and with extreme prejudice. Totally ignore him and do your own thing, he'll insist on introducing himself within minutes. He's absolutely nutty, just like his caretaker.

Hey, hey now...   I like dogs ALOT more than he does...   :lmao:

Took a trip through the barrel with the 5mm borescope.  Didn't clean it, nothing - wanted to see what was in there first.  Chamber looks good, rifling looks good, I see a very little burr right there at the gas port, but that'll be gone with the first round outta the barrel.  Hope it shoots like they say it will.  Went after it with the Bore Snake after getting the video. It's ready for some rangetime...

55 minutes ago, NTXshooter said:

98, I hope you have better luck with your barrel than I have had with mine.  It shoots about a 3" group at 50 yds. 

I know - I've read reviews that are all over the place on them, but I've seen alot of reviews that were positive (1 MOA or under) with off-the-shelf ammo, for this specific length/profile.  I risked it, and grabbed the thing.  That's the primary reason I went up it with the borescope - look for something shady, or ugly.  The chamber was good, and the start of the rifling wasn't crazy. That little burr at the gas port will go away quick - they just went too fast with the drill bit on that.  The gas port diameter spec'd out to exactly what they said it would be (0.071"), so that sounds like it'll be enough to run it well.  

If it doesn't like my handloads for the other (confirmed, shot and zero'd) two Grendels, I'll play with it some and see if it prefers a different powder charge - I'll give it the chance.   I have another 18" Grendel that needs to get sighted/broke in, with this one.

So, chamber looks alright, rifling looks alright - if the interior of the crown is screwed, I'll have it cut to 14.5" and rethreaded/recrowned, and give it another shot. Literally.  :laffs:

If that doesn't work, it turns into a short tomato stake. 

Edited by 98Z5V

52 minutes ago, NTXshooter said:

98, I hope you have better luck with your barrel than I have had with mine.  It shoots about a 3" group at 50 yds. 

Which one did you get, brother?  Loading your own ammo for it?

Same 16" barrel.  I've gone thru 3 boxes of Hornady 123 gn ELD Match and it won't group.  At first I thought it might be the crappy scope I put on it.  But I have tried it with a Primary Arms 1-6 ACSS and it still wouldn't group.  I broke it in with one round, bore snake, one round bore snake, for 5 rounds and then snake after every 5 rounds for three cycles.