• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Some meat for the freezer

308kiwi

Out after some Wallaby this weekend, winter brings them down from the snowline, makes life a bit easier to go after them. Good eating.

Wife with her first Red Neck Wallaby, with the help of Yaeger the mutt and her trusty AK, proud as punch....

wallaby.jpg

2 hours ago, 308kiwi said:

Out after some Wallaby this weekend, winter brings them down from the snowline, makes life a bit easier to go after them. Good eating.

Wife with her first Red Neck Wallaby, with the help of Yaeger the mutt and her trusty AK, proud as punch....

wallaby.jpg

WOW I never et a rat or possom that big! Bon- Appitite!

Yeah they definitely don't taste like 'chicken ', more like a cross between venison and beef, quite dark meat but they are damn good eating. the one in the pic is a juvenile, they stand about 4-5 ft as adults,  quite a big animal, I posted a pic here of an adult buck I shot a year or two ago, he was just shy of 5 ft, they are SO MUCH FUN to hunt,  freakishly fast moving animals, like leading them by a body length is pretty std, you seldom get a sitter, especially when the dogs flushing them.

They are an introduced pest here and can be hunted but they are protected in their native Australia.

Yeah ole Yaeger is a pretty cool dog, he LOVES flushing these things, he's getting pretty old now and was absolutely knackered in that pic.

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, mley1 said:

That's pretty cool! New Zealand is on my bucket list of places to go.

If you avoid the tourists traps it is the most beautiful and contrasted country on the face of the earth, (of course I am going to say that).

The North Island is over populated cities and pasture farmland, the South Island, (I live almost at the bottom of the South Island), is mountains, rain forest, desert plateaus and a couple of cities, and the best hunting?

On July 8, 2018 at 4:08 PM, Sisco said:

Might get some strange looks in the States if you said “ My Wife shot a redneck yesterday”.

Depends on the state...and there's sure to be a serious conflict of emotions. On one hand they'll be pleased having one less redneck trump supporter, on the other they'll be terrified she had a gun and knew how to use it. 

Man, stupid wallaby took out my radiator last winter (your summer) in Tassy.  Left us stranded outside of Port Arthur and almost missed the flight out of Hobart....  My wife is first generation Aussie with all the extended family in Christchurch.  Terrible about the earth quakes, glad I got around Christchurch before things changed...  Im ready to get back for a vist, never can get enough of Akaroa and Queenstown, what a blast. 

Been trying to get posted in Brisbane for years in hopes of sun setting into retirement; the no guns thing is always something I anguish over.  I had no idea semi-auto and detachable mags were a thing in NZ.  Looks like I need to do some homework and possibly my arsenal can find a home not too far away after all.

Nice work on that Wallaby....Now Im hungry....For hokey-pokey ice cream and wallaby pie. 

12 minutes ago, albersondh said:

Man, stupid wallaby took out my radiator last winter (your summer) in Tassy.  Left us stranded outside of Port Arthur and almost missed the flight out of Hobart....  My wife is first generation Aussie with all the extended family in Christchurch.  Terrible about the earth quakes, glad I got around Christchurch before things changed...  Im ready to get back for a vist, never can get enough of Akaroa and Queenstown, what a blast. 

Been trying to get posted in Brisbane for years in hopes of sun setting into retirement; the no guns thing is always something I anguish over.  I had no idea semi-auto and detachable mags were a thing in NZ.  Looks like I need to do some homework and possibly my arsenal can find a home not too far away after all.

Nice work on that Wallaby....Now Im hungry....For hokey-pokey ice cream and wallaby pie. 

You need to seriously dig into an intro thread - in the Intro Section - and tell us about yourself.

What you're saying here, without an intro thread, directly dictates what kind of information you get. That's not a bad thing - how the fuk are we supposed to give you answers on your questions when you're not in the US, and asking info - from abroad?...  

Think about that for a minute... 

• 1 month later...