• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR10 fixed buttstock to collapsible?

Phatassjay

Look for a genuine Armalite AR10 carbine buffer, tube and spring.  That will make sure you get a functioning system.  Don't try to mix and match parts.  It is easy to get the wrong thing because most companies do not know what does and doesn't work. 

Edited by Armed Eye Doc

1 hour ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Look for a genuine Armalite AR10 carbine buffer, tube and spring.  That will make sure you get a functioning system.  Don't try to mix and match parts.  It is easy to get the wrong thing because most companies do not know what does and doesn't work. 

Good advice:thumbup:. Not a collapsible, but take a look at a Luth MBA 1. Gives you a lot of adjustments for a similar weight to the original. Don’t have to replace your spring, buffer and buffer tube either.

1 hour ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Thanks! Just not a fan of the fixed stock, want some adjustment. I'll check on the armalite site to see if the have the buffer tube and spring that will work. Thanks!

1. Find an Armalite AR-10 or Vltor A5 receiver extension (aka buffer tube). 

2. Use an Armalite AR-10 buffet spring. There’s only one size, so if it says “Armalite” and “AR-10” then it’s the correct spring. 

3. Check out the American Built Arms (AB Arms) Urban Sniper Stock (USS) with the buttpad extension.

4. Thank me later. 

21 minutes ago, Robocop1051 said:

1. Find an Armalite AR-10 or Vltor A5 receiver extension (aka buffer tube). 

2. Use an Armalite AR-10 buffet spring. There’s only one size, so if it says “Armalite” and “AR-10” then it’s the correct spring. 

3. Check out the American Built Arms (AB Arms) Urban Sniper Stock (USS) with the buttpad extension.

4. Thank me later. 

Why wait? I'll thank you now! Thanks!!

17 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Good luck, I have not gotten an in stock notification from Armalite in months, they are taking forever to make their move!

Yeah they have been moving for months now. I've been going on the site and just get hung up on a random page. I'll have to look elsewhere I guess.

I did some research and this looks to be the kit I need....I think? Like I said I have an old A2 style fixed od green stock now and want to change to collapsible. Is this what I need? AR10REKIT01

17 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Good luck, I have not gotten an in stock notification from Armalite in months, they are taking forever to make their move!

Yeah they have been moving for months now. I've been going on the site and just get hung up on a random page. I'll have to look elsewhere I guess.

1 hour ago, Phatassjay said:

I did some research and this looks to be the kit I need....I think? Like I said I have an old A2 style fixed od green stock now and want to change to collapsible. Is this what I need? AR10REKIT01

That's the complete kit. The parts are also available individually if you know what to look for and where to look. 

39 minutes ago, Robocop1051 said:

That's the complete kit. The parts are also available individually if you know what to look for and where to look. 

I think the complete kit may be easier, most of the places are on back order. Might be a task hunting down each individual part? I'm on the hunt though, this is a long overdue upgrade! Thanks!

The owner of "Heavy Buffers" only uses Armalite springs... 

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/recoil-parts/recoil-springs/modified-308-ar-buffer-spring-prod44698.aspx?avs|Make_3=AR%20xzzx308&psize=96

You're paying for the name brand here, but the VLTOR A5 is the same as the 6 position Armalite AR-10

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/buffer-tube-parts/buffer-tubes/ar-15-m16-a5-mil-spec-buffer-tube-prod55056.aspx

The buffers "should" be the same; 2.5" long and weighs 3.8oz

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/recoil-parts/recoil-buffers/308ar-carbine-buffer-prod104527.aspx?avs|Make_3=AR%20xzzx308

Coupon code: PJJ

Free shipping and $15 off $150

Coupon code: PJK

Free shipping and $35 off $300

22 hours ago, Robocop1051 said:

The owner of "Heavy Buffers" only uses Armalite springs... 

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/recoil-parts/recoil-springs/modified-308-ar-buffer-spring-prod44698.aspx?avs|Make_3=AR%20xzzx308&psize=96

You're paying for the name brand here, but the VLTOR A5 is the same as the 6 position Armalite AR-10

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/buffer-tube-parts/buffer-tubes/ar-15-m16-a5-mil-spec-buffer-tube-prod55056.aspx

The buffers "should" be the same; 2.5" long and weighs 3.8oz

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/recoil-parts/recoil-buffers/308ar-carbine-buffer-prod104527.aspx?avs|Make_3=AR%20xzzx308

Coupon code: PJJ

Free shipping and $15 off $150

Coupon code: PJK

Free shipping and $35 off $300

Thanks alot!!!

NO 2.5" BUFFERS IN THIS SETUP!!!  NONE!!!  THAT'S DPMS-BASED LR-308 SHIIT!!!

ONLY USE BUFFERS THAT ARE 3.250" LONG, AND ARE H3-WEIGHTED!!!  AR15 H3 CARBINE BUFFERS, OR A REAL ARMALITE AR-10 CARBINE BUFFER!!!

On 7/11/2018 at 4:31 PM, jtallen83 said:

The amount of lost orders and lost marketshare by Armalite due to this extended out move has to be huge, Wonder if something else is going on? Companies generally plan out relocations like a general planning out a military campaign to minimize disruption and minimize lost sales and production. This is not normal or businesslike.

1 hour ago, jtallen83 said:

Not much since Col. Westrom was bought out  has been normal or business like! They are little by little killing off the brand again.

I give 50/50 odds they either discontinue or sell the Armalite brand.