• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Dedicated .22LR Upper -- Advice Needed

COBrien

I've long considered a .22LR upper and, now that I've pert-near cleared myself out of rifle projects, I think it's time to build one. Well, two, actually. One for my 2 y/o (once she's old enough and past Crickets and 10/22s), and one for our little boy who's due in June. They'll be complete rifles, built on 80% lowers, identical in every way, except serial numbers. I want to get these done now, while they're still legal and able to be "grandfathered in." I've got complete spreadsheets on them -- they're looking like they could be sub-5 lbs.

Anyhow... On to my question.

I know CMMG makes a dedicated BCG setup. And I know Clint Beyer is making high-speed-low-drag AR .22LR barrels that are compatible with the CMMG setup. But I also know CMMG's track record and the reputation they carry around here...

Enter 2A Armament. Their titanium BCG looks like a slick deal. But they offer a whopping one (1) barrel for a dedicated setup -- a 16" aluminum bull with a stainless sleeve.

I've been a fan of Clint Beyer's barrels since I got into 10/22s, and would love to do business with him. He offers several different profiles and lengths of aluminum .22LR AR barrels, but I hate that his barrels are married up to CMMG.

Are there any other reputable manufacturers of dedicated rimfire BCGs and/or barrels that I haven't stumbled upon yet? TIA, fellas!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 3/15/2019 at 5:56 PM, COBrien said:

I've long considered a .22LR upper and, now that I've pert-near cleared myself out of rifle projects, I think it's time to build one. Well, two, actually. One for my 2 y/o (once she's old enough and past Crickets and 10/22s), and one for our little boy who's due in June. They'll be complete rifles, built on 80% lowers, identical in every way, except serial numbers. I want to get these done now, while they're still legal and able to be "grandfathered in." I've got complete spreadsheets on them -- they're looking like they could be sub-5 lbs.

Anyhow... On to my question.

I know CMMG makes a dedicated BCG setup. And I know Clint Beyer is making high-speed-low-drag AR .22LR barrels that are compatible with the CMMG setup. But I also know CMMG's track record and the reputation they carry around here...

Enter 2A Armament. Their titanium BCG looks like a slick deal. But they offer a whopping one (1) barrel for a dedicated setup -- a 16" aluminum bull with a stainless sleeve.

I've been a fan of Clint Beyer's barrels since I got into 10/22s, and would love to do business with him. He offers several different profiles and lengths of aluminum .22LR AR barrels, but I hate that his barrels are married up to CMMG.

Are there any other reputable manufacturers of dedicated rimfire BCGs and/or barrels that I haven't stumbled upon yet? TIA, fellas!

What about something like this?

https://www.wingtactical.com/firearm-parts/ar-15/complete-upper-receiver-assemblies/tactical-solutions-ar-22-lt-22lr-ar-upper-assembly/

I have a conversion on my 5.56 that I run 22lr for fun. 

3 hours ago, ar-mountaineer said:

What about something like this?

https://www.wingtactical.com/firearm-parts/ar-15/complete-upper-receiver-assemblies/tactical-solutions-ar-22-lt-22lr-ar-upper-assembly/

I have a conversion on my 5.56 that I run 22lr for fun. 

I hadn’t looked at TacSol yet — thanks for that! Their barrel, BCG, and magazine combo might be just the ticket. 

https://www.tacticalsol.com/ar-22-series-uppers/ar-22-barrelandbolt

Edited by COBrien

4 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

The baddest 22LR ARs being made right now are from Tippmann.  Yeah, no joke, the paintball gun guys.  I shiit you not.

That's interesting. It's probably been 20 years since I've been to Tippmann's website (my rig of choice back then was my heavily-modified Tippmann 98 -- nitrogen-powered, adjustable gas and recoil spring, sidesaddle red dot mount because this was back before any of us knew what Picatinny was, crossfeed with a shaker hopper. It was a beast!).

Their BCG, charging handle, and barrel setup looks like a one-off deal. Wonder if they'd sell me the parts individually...

Their site sucks, but their parts are badass. I was one of the fools who bought the Mag Tactical magnesium receiver sets. After people started breaking them, and they went out of business, I was worried about making mine into a “real” caliber. My wife wanted an FDE rifle and I didn’t have a dedicated .22lr yet. I I have owned an old Colt conversion kit since I was a kid. It’s a good kit, but only works with Colt magazine conversion kits. Luckily I have about 10 mags for it. 

The CMMG kit is a copy of a Ceiner kit. There are lots of companies that make Ceiner conversions, and Taccom is one of them. The difference from a dedicated system is that the kit is missing the front end, which is usually inserted into the .223 chamber. The dedicated barrel has a .22lr chamber. 

I bought the ULW dedicated barrel, the .22lr bolt, and the plastic spacer (it goes in front of the buffer) from Taccom. My upper is a standard upper. 

Check this out for a simple modification that could save from frustration later. 

*if I had it to do over, I would’ve filled the entire channel up. There’s no reason for an open space on a .22lr. The space is for a gas tube to fit and a dedicated .22lr shouldn’t have a gas tube installed. 

I bought a CMMG clone charging handle from Right To Bear (along with their “pistol caliber/.22LR uppers — short ejection port, Colt 603/605 style forward assist delete). The charging handle was mostly to reverse-engineer it and convert a standard, aluminum CH with judicious application of JB Weld.

RTB offers both the CMMG and a “house brand” (CMMG sans logos) dedicated .22LR BCG. I know this will work with a Beyer barrel, but I’m concerned about the bad press CMMG has gotten. 

Of course, the OpticsPlanet reviews for CMMG dedicated BCGs are all positive. So...? Lol!

Edited by COBrien

I have a CMMG bolt setup, phosphated.  It was cheap at a gun show in Dulles, VA, and the mags were cheap, so I bought it.  It works wonderfully, now, but it took alot of breaking-in.  I eventually rubbed all the contact rails with a scotch-brite pad to smooth it out even more.  I should have done that in the beginning, and saved ammo, but I didn't know, then.  That was either 2009 or 2010.  The stainless ones don't have that break-in issue, and they are ALOT more smooth-running, right out of the gate. 

I'd buy it again, honestly, even the phosphated one - and I'd short-cut that break-in on it, right away, now that I know. 

15 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I have a CMMG bolt setup, phosphated.  It was cheap at a gun show in Dulles, VA, and the mags were cheap, so I bought it.  It works wonderfully, now, but it took alot of breaking-in.  I eventually rubbed all the contact rails with a scotch-brite pad to smooth it out even more.  I should have done that in the beginning, and saved ammo, but I didn't know, then.  That was either 2009 or 2010.  The stainless ones don't have that break-in issue, and they are ALOT more smooth-running, right out of the gate. 

I'd buy it again, honestly, even the phosphated one - and I'd short-cut that break-in on it, right away, now that I know. 

A resounding review from a guy who definitely doesn't hesitate to call shite shite.

I think it's settled, then. The "RTB" BCG and collar setup, with a Beyer barrel (16.5" x .920" bull), and a Redi-Mag Better-Mag II (I believe this is what @Robocop1051 was referencing).

That, with some M&P 15-22 mags, should at least get me running. Right?

Edited by COBrien

39 minutes ago, COBrien said:

A resounding review from a guy who definitely doesn't hesitate to call shite shite.

I think it's settled, then. The "RTB" BCG and collar setup, with a Beyer barrel (16.5" x .920" bull), and a Redi-Mag Better-Mag II (I believe this is what @Robocop1051 was referencing).

That, with some M&P 15-22 mags, should at least get me running. Right?

Yes! That’s the one. 

Well, it has started in earnest. As mentioned above, I picked up a couple of uppers from RTB. Having them in hand, I have to say I think these were a good choice.

https://www.righttobear.com/RTB-9mm-22LR-Slick-Side-Upper-Receiver-p/rtb-pcc-m4.htm
image.png.7eeaf77b87bbbbc84f2c1f152e432890.png
Aero forged uppers, no FA, short ejection port, no provision for ejection port cover.

I also picked up a couple of Aero Precision LPKs from DVOR -- $39 each, and they include a MagPul MOE grip and enhanced polymer trigger guard. Those Luth-AR LPKs I previously bought were $26, no grip or trigger guard. I think this was a steal.

Now I need to decide -- do I buy raw 80% lowers (RTB will engrave mfr info, city, state, model, caliber and serial number), then have them blasted and Cerakoted (would Cerakote uppers at the same time), or do I buy anodized 80% lowers, then have the information engraved by my jeweler/gun pusher and fill the engraving in black later? Hmm...

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2019 at 5:09 PM, DNP said:

Crap...that upper is a "deal of the day" for $59 right now.  I don't need one. I don't need one. I don't need one....

I've been watching it for awhile now.

It goes on "Deal of the Day" every 2 weeks, for 14 days at a stretch...

That is to say, no rush.

Also, I've made up my mind re: anodized vs. raw lowers. I've got a buddy (wife's co-worker) who's been dabbling in Cerakote for a year or so now, and he's getting it down. Now that I know he's got a blasting cabinet, I'm going to order raw lowers and have him 'kote the uppers and lowers at the same time.

Also, my jeweler/gun pusher got nervous about engraving a S/N on my FIL's unfinished, incomplete (i.e., no work done do it besides unboxing it...) 80% lower, so I'm going to save him the hand-wringing this time around...

Edited by COBrien