• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Truck bed trailers

blue109

Opinion of pickup beds converted to trailers?  Went to visit an old neighbor I hadnt seen in a few years. Hes one of those old guys who will be building hotrods till the day he drops. Sure enough, 75 years old garage open sanding on a half finished '55 chevy truck with a supercharged smallblock set in there. 

Anyway he was always building trailers on the side. He has one from a chevy pickup he said he would give me for $200. also said he would call around to try and find a Toyota bed to build me one to match my 4runner. Would this make a cool little camp trailer?  Are they heavy? Seems like it would do well offroad.

Edited by blue109

We used to use a couple trailers like that on the farm. I much prefer 4 wheels and they were considerably heavier but would tolerate more weight for the size so it’s a trade off. I would imagine more modern beds are lighter than the 1960’s models we used. 

Some leveling jacks would deal with the 2 wheel balance issues. 

Yeah or just leave it hooked to the prime mover for sleeping, you can't beat that price for any kind of a trailer larger than a lawn cart. Travel trailer leveling jacks (aluminum are not that expensive either.

$45 at Amazon, for 4 of them.  these are handy for other things too.

image.thumb.png.0838b8c2f1ceac2b608e475a88bff03e.png

Edited by mrmackc

• 2 months later...
On 7/9/2019 at 7:05 AM, blue109 said:

Opinion of pickup beds converted to trailers?  Went to visit an old neighbor I hadnt seen in a few years. Hes one of those old guys who will be building hotrods till the day he drops. Sure enough, 75 years old garage open sanding on a half finished '55 chevy truck with a supercharged smallblock set in there. 

Anyway he was always building trailers on the side. He has one from a chevy pickup he said he would give me for $200. also said he would call around to try and find a Toyota bed to build me one to match my 4runner. Would this make a cool little camp trailer?  Are they heavy? Seems like it would do well offroad.

You'll get to meet JB Matt next weekend - Bigass FDE Suburban with a matching FDE truck-bed trailer for hauling his Polaris ACE.  Sweet setup, and you can definitely talk to him for hours.  About anything.   :thumbup:

27 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

You'll get to meet JB Matt next weekend - Bigass FDE Suburban with a matching FDE truck-bed trailer for hauling his Polaris ACE.  Sweet setup, and you can definitely talk to him for hours.  About anything.   :thumbup:

He is a great guy and a hell of a shooter.  He can hit with any firearm he picks up.

1 hour ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

He is a great guy and a hell of a shooter.  He can hit with any firearm he picks up.

He's a freak of nature.  An Anomaly.  I think he's part cyborg and part T-1000. The T-1000 is fuckin' STRONG in that guy.  He can't be "of this planet" that's for fuckin' certain.  No human can shoot like that...