• Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Sig Sauer Barrels

Albroswift

I'm seeing Sig Sauer barrels are on sale $49.99 to $89.99, Are these:

1.) Mill Spec in the AR15 platform?

2.) Decent quality/ accuracy?

I see in another thread the 12.5" 308 barrel was Spec except for gas tube length, any experience with their Carbine and rifle length barrels?

Very tempting for my current 223 carbine build, 16" non threaded barrel, maybe clamp in the mill and cut a 3 gill comp into the end, maybe just run as is. 

https://www.cdnnsports.com/sig-sauer-m400-16-5-56-1-7.html?___SID=U#.XTNP9utKiUk

Edited by Albroswift

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Albroswift said:

Just pulled the trigger on two of them. zero tax, zero shipping $99.98 for the pair. Worst case I have some barrel grade lathe stock. 

Which ones did you get - 2 x .308 barrels? 

Two Sig M400 .223 16" non threaded. Last week  12.5" Sig Sauer (threaded) in .308 showed up, think it was $53.00 with shipping. Not sure how much fun a 308 pistol would be, thinking of maybe pinning a 3.5" flash can on it after sorting things out. 

Edited by Albroswift

6 hours ago, Albroswift said:

Two Sig M400 .223 16" non threaded. Last week  12.5" Sig Sauer (threaded) in .308 showed up, think it was $53.00 with shipping. Not sure how much fun a 308 pistol would be, thinking of maybe pinning a 3.5" flash can on it after sorting things out. 

I've got a 13.5" Armalite barrel and a 3-port brake pinned to it to get it a tick over 16", and it's actually (surprisingly) pleasant to shoot.  Shocked me.

103GNBRK01-1.jpg

1 hour ago, Albroswift said:

Sig 12.5 308 gas port looks like it's too far forward on the journal, shouldn't it be about a half inch off the stop? Nothing a hack with some machine tools like myself can't overcome.  The 716 is apparently a piston system.  

20190722_155722.thumb.jpg.78966c597642a46383043daf047b5aea.jpg

716 is a piston gun. I used a SLR gas block dimple jig to get it positioned exactly. The block hangs a bit over the journal ledge but that hasn’t been an issue, could be with a different block though.

1 hour ago, Albroswift said:

Cool.

Did you go with the hole size or open it up a little bit? Looks a lot smaller then my 18" barrel 

It's only a 12.5" barrel, and the gas system is right between midlength and carbine length -there's not alot of dwell time there.  I'd have to go back to my 13.5" numbers and look at it, because it'll have near identical dwell time.

Here it is:

Armalite AR-10 barrel, 13.5" OAL, midlength gas system (Armalite AR-10 Carbine Gas System, exactly), gas port diameter 0.081".

Edited by 98Z5V

7 hours ago, Albroswift said:

Cool.

Did you go with the hole size or open it up a little bit? Looks a lot smaller then my 18" barrel 

I left it alone, no need to open it up as function has been flawless both normal and suppressed. I put the size in the beginning of the thread I posted above, .073". I was surprised it did not need opened up since my 716 has shown signs of being undergassed, must be in the piston portion.

What gas block did you go with? Did you single dimple or was there room on the journal for 2?

This is going to be one of those "The part was on sale so I built the whole gun around it" stories, nothing new on this forum!

I'll keep everyone posted as I round up parts.

8 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Use a Geissele Super Gas Block, and pin it.  No worries, then. That's my plan for it.

Agreed, that would be the best option. I went adjustable due to suppressor use but at some point I will experiment with it and see if I can't get by without the adjustable. I have the block turned down pretty good right now but with the smallish gas port it may just get by. 

I like the Geissele, but I'm thinking adjustable. I have the tech to pin any block if I need to. I mocked up the 12-1/16 tube in the upper assembly, 7/8" long, so need a 11-3/16 tube to hit dead center of the receiver cutout. Other option is to move the hole back, the gas block would block the original hole while it gummed up with carbon, or I could drill/ tap a set screw into it. Thinking the custom tube is the easiest option. 

Well, you fukkers have done it again! I kept reading the posts about these barrels and I broke down and bought one! I have NO fukkin idea what I'm gonna do with it, pistol build or pinned muzzle device to make a legal carbine. Hell, I don't even have a receiver set!😣:thefinger:

49 minutes ago, 392heminut said:

Well, you fukkers have done it again! I kept reading the posts about these barrels and I broke down and bought one! I have NO fukkin idea what I'm gonna do with it, pistol build or pinned muzzle device to make a legal carbine. Hell, I don't even have a receiver set!😣:thefinger:

:lmao:

49 dollar barrel is better then starting with a roll pin... 

You are way ahead of the game. 

a 4" muzzle device will put you right at 16. I found a 4-1/2" steel, weighs about 10 lbs. Think I'm going to chuck it in the lathe and put it on a diet.

Edited by Albroswift

Ok my barrel showed up got a question or two. Barrel extension has locating pin. Also another pin extending down by the locking lugs about 2 o'clock . Hole was drilled all the way through the barrel extension and pin inserted below the surface of the barrel extension on the outside but protruding in to the area of the locking lugs. I haven't seen this on any other barrels I have installed.

WTF???

20190730_010034.jpg

20190730_010041.jpg

20190730_010047.jpg

20190730_010058.jpg

20190730_010134.jpg