• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Cant get Stag10l to shoot,ejector swipes etc.

Popeye51

My son is left handed and bought Stag10L it showed problems with ejector swipes and extractor problems at the outset.  Was sent back to Stag and returned with a new bolt.  I have tried several different loads with this gun.  RL16,RL17, and H4350 and still showing ejector swipes well below the Hornady book max.  Next step I can think of is start about about grain lower than this 40.4 and chrono in .1 grain increments.  Problem is this will be well below the velocity I would expect to be reasonable.  My inclination is to rebarrel this thing.  I have been told this is normal for an AR10 but I am thinking there is still a headspace problem. Thoughts??

20190910_112925.jpg

Ross143eldxRL7.jpg

H143ELDXRL17.xls

Welcome to the forum.

Is this the rifle he purchased?

https://www.stagarms.com/stag-10l-308-m-lok/#ProductSpecsDetail

How many rounds through it?  Have you tried any other ammo besides your reloads?

Can you post a picture of the bolt face with the extractor? 

Those questions should get the information started until someone who knows more than I do comes along to help.

Those ejector swipes are fairly common, I have one that makes a good mark but headspace is on the money. Is the ejector radiused on the edges? Radiused edges make a difference. It could also be a little overgassed or under assed, not enough weight in the recoil system to slow down the timing and allow the case to shrink back before the bolt starts moving causing deeper marks from both ejector and extractor. Have you checked headspace?

Probably about 500 rounds and some factory of which none shot very well. It locks back properly on empty mag and is feeding and functioning fine.  We are about to put an adjustable gas block on it.  He is getting a can for it and his .300 Blackout. I did call a precision barrel manufacturer and he said also that the problem is in the gas system.  He puts +2 gas system on all of his.  Armed his is similar to  the one you posted only in 6.5 Creedmoor.  It is due for a good cleaning I will check the gas tube length then and get some pics of the bolt face.  I did measure the base of a fired and unfired cases.  The fired cases were .001 larger at the base. 

4 hours ago, Popeye51 said:

Probably about 500 rounds

You don't have a headspace problem, or it would have blown up in your hands by now.

Take your bolt apart for pictures, and please post them.  Only thing that needs removed is the extractor - take a pic of the extractor spring(s),and take a pic of the extractor edge, itself.  Then get a pic of the face of that ejector.  Please post those pics.

You don't need an adjustable gas block, and an adjustable gas block isn't gonna cure what I think is going on with your gun.  The pics will tell...

Yes, a sharp edge ejector face may be the problem, how about a rough chamber? Did you follow the recommended break in for that rifle? Maybe just using reloads that aren't properly resized?  Maybe if you have 500 rounds without FTE or FTF you are just thinking you have a problem?

The Extradtor is OK I spoke to several people and confirmed it is overgassed and have and adjustable gas block on the way. I did find a load that works.  Horn. 140 BTHP  41.4 H4350 CCI BR2 OAL 2,800 got .936MOA 2736fps SD 15 Thanks for the help chasing down the problem.  The case is being ejected from the chamber under pressure.

Edited by Popeye51

1 hour ago, shooterrex said:

It may not be overgased it may be under recoiled. What is the inside depth of the buffer tube? How long is the buffer? What does the buffer weigh? Where does the gas tube end in the upper receiver?

I was just getting ready to go here, when I read his reply - no kidding. 

Square-faced ejectors will "swipe" brass, on regular guns, with normal loads - from the rounds feeding from the right side of the magazine, only. 

Now, since we're talking about "too much gas" - the gas port diameter and barrel configuration should be discussed - to see if it's really over-gassed.  Chances are, it's not over-gassed at all, and it's running a 3.8oz buffer in there, with some weird recoil spring.  Not Enough Ass To Control The Mass...  of the .308AR BCG, right there.  Putting an adjustable gas block on a gun like that is just putting a band-aid on the wrong cut...  

10 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I was just getting ready to go here, when I read his reply - no kidding. 

Square-faced ejectors will "swipe" brass, on regular guns, with normal loads - from the rounds feeding from the right side of the magazine, only. 

Now, since we're talking about "too much gas" - the gas port diameter and barrel configuration should be discussed - to see if it's really over-gassed.  Chances are, it's not over-gassed at all, and it's running a 3.8oz buffer in there, with some weird recoil spring.  Not Enough Ass To Control The Mass...  of the .308AR BCG, right there.  Putting an adjustable gas block on a gun like that is just putting a band-aid on the wrong cut...  

Not according to the guy at Sprinco and two other barrel vendors.  Gas block is on the way should be here Monday or Tuesday.  Need one anyway he is getting suppressor. Ejection is at 11:00

1 hour ago, Popeye51 said:

Sorry If I offended anyone thanks for the effort.  I have built a couple of Ar's myself I will resign from the forum

There is no need to stop coming here.  We want to know information that fixes problems.  That is what this forum does well.  Not all problems are the same and need the same fix.  If you have a problem or solution that hasn't been discussed, it helps us to know how to fix the next time this occurs.

The big bore AR's are not like the smaller calibers.  We ask for information to try and help you with your problem. These guns are not "milspec". Different manufacturers come up with their own version of what MIGHT work. No need to leave but we can't help you if you don't give us the information we ask for.

10 hours ago, Popeye51 said:

Not according to the guy at Sprinco and two other barrel vendors.  Gas block is on the way should be here Monday or Tuesday.  Need one anyway he is getting suppressor. Ejection is at 11:00

I know Sprinco, and some guys there, so tell me about it. Describe to me that conversation that you had with them...   Ejection at 11 o'clock doesn't necessarily mean that you're over-gassed  - if you've been looking at that "AR15 Ejection Pattern Chart" that's all over the web- this ain't an AR15.  It's 30% larger, in all aspects.  

5 hours ago, Popeye51 said:

Sorry If I offended anyone thanks for the effort.  I have built a couple of Ar's myself I will resign from the forum

There's no need to be a bitch about it, none at all - butthurt helps no one.  You're obviously butthurt.

YOU posted about ejector swipes, period.  That's what you posted about.  I gave you information, specifically asked you for pics of the ejector in your bolt - no pics.  Nothing from you but words that don't mean anything. Zero pics of the ejector.  I can probably FIX your problem for zero dollars - depending on that I THINK you ejector looks like - if you want to invest 30 minutes of manual labor to fix it.  You're running a left-hand eject gun, man - fucking fix it. 

If you wanna leave, then don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.  That's what quitters do - they quit.  If you wanna FIX YOUR GUN, then get the damn pic of your ejector up that I asked for - THAT EJECTOR is the reason for your brass swipes, I'll bet 50% of my next paycheck on. 

But, crickets, when asked for information...  Nothing from you...  Instead, you are "so proud of you" that you ignore requests to HELP YOU.  I get it - your balls are buigger than everyone else's here, that help people fix guns everyday.  More power to you, on that, too.  Bandaid that shiit with an adjustable gas block, join other forums, and tell them all about what you've done...  Just know - you put the bandaid on the wrong cut...  

The other option here, is to just get the requested info out- and quit letting "pride" fuk with you.  That's what this is really about, here - because you've already built a couple ARs, you know it all...  Pride is kicking you in the dick right now, man, you just can't admit that.

Leave if you must - stay if you REALLY want to fix that Stag Leftie.

1 hour ago, jtallen83 said:

@98Z5VI'm sure he will want to stay now with that encouragement......getting those pics for us as we speak I'm sure.

@Popeye51 , Hang around and help us all learn a little, some of us are very interested in even a chance to learn something new, there is very little info out there on those lefty 308AR's.

Help was offered, help was completely ignored.  Questions were politely asked about the situation - and were completely ignored, instead with a reply that he heard an adjustable gasblock is the cure.  Then he stated that he quit - and that wasn't from anything that I said.

If you don't approve of my methodology, Jim- you can just ignore me.  If you have a problem with how I handled myself, based on the questions and the details I asked of the man - and got no response to the questions and the details I asked of the man - straight ignored - if you have a problem with what I said or did, based on the information I asked of him...

Then just say it. 

I think I was pretty polite with what I asked, initially - just trying to get the details on what was going on.  I think I was pretty straight-forward with what I was asking - trying to solve a common problem...  

If you didn't like my response, Jim - you can just block me.  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't butt hurt, I solved the problem with the adjustable gas block.  Ejecting now at 3-4:00 I left it there.  Brass only had one very slight ejector swipe but not enough to be of concern.  I used Hornday Black (that stuff is a little warm)  to adjust it and get a rough idea of accuracy.  I will tear it down and try to get those pics.  Gas block appears to be touching the handguard and the old one showed signs as well. Accuracy was around 1 1/4 but showed clusters I will get that pic up also.  98z you got some issues man hope you work them out...

18 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Glad it's running like you want. Sure shouldn't be contact between the gas block and handguard, block too big or maybe handguard not on square?

Yes that is a concern and this target shows it might be  (that flyer is called).  I can get a piece of card stock down one side easily.  But the other side is real close I am rechecking it.  I am not sure how much a barrel "whips".  I loaded a ladder with Hornady BTHP and 4350 today and I will try them tomorrow.

HBlack092419Gblock.jpg

GasblockRoss.jpg

20190923_192406.jpg