• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Remington 870 Hardwood Home Defense...?

COBrien

Now that she's back in patrol from CID, the wife has decided she'd like to have a personally-owned shotgun to go with her personally-owned (and built...) rifle. So I've been shopping.

She prefers Remington 870s. Personally, I'm a fan of the Mossberg pump guns.

She wants an 870 DM. I, personally, would prefer to give that platform another year or two to prove itself, but Momma gets what Momma wants.

While browsing for her shotgun, I think I stumbled upon my next firearms purchase... The Remington 870 Hardwood Home Defense (81197). 18.5" barrel, 6+1.

image.thumb.png.569f65c5c2023bad62242f75536858e4.png

I've been trying to figure out how to modify a Mossberg 500 to accomplish the same goal, but it seems (from my limited -- nonexistent -- knowledge of modifying shotguns and a quick thought about how my 500 in .410 comes apart) it's impossible to extend the magazine tube on a 500. A 590? Sure. But buying a 590 is going to cost me a substantial amount more than the $385(ish) that the 870 HHD would.

2 hours ago, COBrien said:

Now that she's back in patrol from CID, the wife has decided she'd like to have a personally-owned shotgun to go with her personally-owned (and built...) rifle. So I've been shopping.

She prefers Remington 870s. Personally, I'm a fan of the Mossberg pump guns.

She wants an 870 DM. I, personally, would prefer to give that platform another year or two to prove itself, but Momma gets what Momma wants.

While browsing for her shotgun, I think I stumbled upon my next firearms purchase... The Remington 870 Hardwood Home Defense (81197). 18.5" barrel, 6+1.

image.thumb.png.569f65c5c2023bad62242f75536858e4.png

I've been trying to figure out how to modify a Mossberg 500 to accomplish the same goal, but it seems (from my limited -- nonexistent -- knowledge of modifying shotguns and a quick thought about how my 500 in .410 comes apart) it's impossible to extend the magazine tube on a 500. A 590? Sure. But buying a 590 is going to cost me a substantial amount more than the $385(ish) that the 870 HHD would.

go with the 870! I prefer the Ithaca  Featherlight 37,  because I shoot ambidextrously,  but their aren't made anymore in the USA, that I know of.

OOPS, I just read that the Ithaca 37 is being made in Upper Sandusky, Ohio and retail for around $800 -$900

https://ithacagun.com/

New_Home_Defense_12GA_8shot_Intch.2.jpg

Edited by mrmackc

3 hours ago, DNP said:

I think you deserve it...she’ll probably agree. 

It's funny you say that... She was texting me last night while she was on duty, letting me know some sh¡tbirds (technical LE term of art) moved in around the corner from us, to lock up the gun safes before I went to bed, make sure the camera system was set to "nighttime mode," and to keep my nightstand lockbox (w/ XD .45) unlocked and "at the ready," because it was just a matter of time before they figured out where she lived (a car with a light bar and reflective P O L I C E emblazoned on it is kinda hard to miss...).

My response was, "Okay, will do. Is this a good time to mention I've been seriously considering a 'real' home defense shotgun, not just my fun little Mossberg .410 I bought an 18" barrel for?" She asked what I was looking at and what it'd cost. Hehe...

1 hour ago, mrmackc said:

go with the 870! I prefer the Ithaca  Featherlight 37,  because I shoot ambidextrously,  but their aren't made anymore in the USA, that I know of.

OOPS, I just read that the Ithaca 37 is being made in Upper Sandusky, Ohio and retail for around $800 -$900

https://ithacagun.com/

New_Home_Defense_12GA_8shot_Intch.2.jpg

I really dig that. Never really been into Ithacas, but after I fondled a Stevens bottom-eject pump many, many years ago, I've thought it was a neat concept.

That's still about twice the price of the 870. Hell, I could pick up my wood-stocked HD scattergun and an 870 DM "MagPul special" for her for that kind of money.

Also, since her issued shotgun has been an 870 since she started 11 years ago, I'd just as soon stick with what she knows and is comfortable with in the event she needs to use it.

Edited by COBrien

10 hours ago, COBrien said:

It's funny you say that... She was texting me last night while she was on duty, letting me know some sh¡tbirds (technical LE term of art) moved in around the corner from us, to lock up the gun safes before I went to bed, make sure the camera system was set to "nighttime mode," and to keep my nightstand lockbox (w/ XD .45) unlocked and "at the ready," because it was just a matter of time before they figured out where she lived (a car with a light bar and reflective P O L I C E emblazoned on it is kinda hard to miss...).

My response was, "Okay, will do. Is this a good time to mention I've been seriously considering a 'real' home defense shotgun, not just my fun little Mossberg .410 I bought an 18" barrel for?" She asked what I was looking at and what it'd cost. Hehe...

I really dig that. Never really been into Ithacas, but after I fondled a Stevens bottom-eject pump many, many years ago, I've thought it was a neat concept.

That's still about twice the price of the 870. Hell, I could pick up my wood-stocked HD scattergun and an 870 DM "MagPul special" for her for that kind of money.

Also, since her issued shotgun has been an 870 since she started 11 years ago, I'd just as soon stick with what she knows and is comfortable with in the event she needs to use it.

This is the one I want, 28 Ga. 28" barrel, dove gun, to go with my 50 year old 12 Ga model 37 full choke plain barrel. I love these old Ithacas

I have a Winchester model 42 .410 full choke I have had since I was 12 years old,  my dove gun, not quite worn out yet.

about $1400 retail.

R-Featherlight-28g-W.jpg

10 hours ago, COBrien said:

For yours, I'd pick up a Mossberg 500 and find a set of the "Police" wood for sale.  That would be SWEET!

Here's a 500 Police:

Slugo_Mossberg_500_riot_gun_LNIB_late_19

Or, just run the corn cob pump grip - here's a set of wood:

s-l300.jpg

^^^  That, makes this vvv...

fef4ae342cf2ae83d38b0269b22434bb.jpg

@COBrien, "new for 2019" on the Mossy website...   I'm just sayin'...   :thumbup: :popcorn:

The 500 Retrograde

50429_500-RETRO_Persuader.png

https://www.mossberg.com/product/500-retrograde-50429/

I'll take a Mossberg top-safety all day long over a Rem 870 safety.  The Moss is already "ambidextrous."  The Moss slide lock is behind the trigger guard, and not in front of it, like the 870.  I'll go Mossberg before Rem all day long.  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

54 minutes ago, mrmackc said:

I have a Winchester model 42 .410 full choke I have had since I was 12 years old,  my dove gun, not quite worn out yet.

about $1400 retail.

I had one of those gifted to me when I was 10, only difference was mine had a cylinder (improved cylinder?) choke. I had trouble getting squirrels with that thing, asked a local experienced hunter if there was any trick to it. He said, "Just climb up the tree, sneak up behind him on the limb, then tap him on the shoulder. When the squirrel turns around, stick the barrel in his mouth and pull the trigger." Smart @$$. But he was probably right. :laffs:

9 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

@COBrien, "new for 2019" on the Mossy website...   I'm just sayin'...   :thumbup: :popcorn:

The 500 Retrograde

50429_500-RETRO_Persuader.png

https://www.mossberg.com/product/500-retrograde-50429/

I'll take a Mossberg top-safety all day long over a Rem 870 safety.  The Moss is already "ambidextrous."  The Moss slide lock is behind the trigger guard, and not in front of it, like the 870.  I'll go Mossberg before Rem all day long.  :thumbup:

I did find the Retrograde, both the 500 and the 590. From what I've been able to figure, the 500 Retro is going to be about the same money as the 870 HHD. One extra round in the 870 edges it out a bit for me.

Also, while doing some more looking for a patrol shotgun for the wife, I remembered Remington has a specific, separate LE/MIL website. "Hey, SWMBO is LE... Let's check it out." The 870 DM is not available as a "P" model yet (don't know if it ever will be...), so I think she's off the idea of an 870 DM for a bit. Because she wants the same quality shotgun as what she's been carrying on duty.

Of course, I had to check out their other "P" models. And...

image.thumb.png.7eb51ee21b2118804e1722f06f74cbd8.png

870P BS (Bead Sight) 6+1 Walnut. A seller on GunBroker has 4 listed at $399, just $15ish more than what my local gun pusher wants for the 870HHD. From what I've been able to glean online, the "P" series has several reliability upgrades over the commercially-available version, including heavier action springs, a metal trigger group, and parkerizing (which, frankly, while I like the look, parkerizing by itself doesn't move the needle for me).

So... ? 🤣

Okay, so lack of sleep due to an infant and a spouse working night shift has got me messed up.

I just checked GunBroker, and the best price I could find for an 870P Walnut is $449. The 870 HHD is available at the $399, some as low as $343. So the 870P is out of my range -- I can't justify (to myself, let alone the wife...) spending that much more for heavy springs, a metal trigger group, and parkerized finish for a HD shotgun for me. If I want the shorter, "corncob" forend that bad, I'll pick one up from Remington or Numrich and swap it.

24 minutes ago, mrmackc said:

actually the Mossy safety is the only ambidextrous part, if you shoot left handed it still throws the hulls in your face, so does the 870.

That's only because you're one of those backwards, lefty people...   Serves you right...  Get the pun?...   :banana:

1 hour ago, Sisco said:

If I can shoot an AK 7.62 x39 left handed, or my Auto 930 Mossberg left handed, I wouldn’t worry about the hulls by your face.

That's what I'm talking about...   :thumbup:  If the Lefties get all wrapped up about shiit flying in their face - they don't need to worry about it.  If it wraps them up SO bad that they can't get through the night without wetting the bed (since they never shot it in the first place, and realized it was a non-problem), then they can switch over to the correct shooting style, and shoot the gun right-handed...   😁:laffs:  

EDIT - FWIW, I grew shooting rifles left-handed.  The US Army, in it's infinite wisdom, did an "eye dominance" test on my ans stated that "I was a right handed shooter."  So, Drill Instructors turned my into a right-handed shooter.  Lefties, don't whine too hard here - I've been in your shoes.  I feel your pain.  Don't be a bitch about it, and learn "ambidextrous" shooting like I had to...  

Edited by 98Z5V

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

That's what I'm talking about...   :thumbup:  If the Lefties get all wrapped up about shiit flying in their face - they don't need to worry about it.  If it wraps them up SO bad that they can't get through the night without wetting the bed (since they never shot it in the first place, and realized it was a non-problem), then they can switch over to the correct shooting style, and shoot the gun right-handed...   😁:laffs:  

EDIT - FWIW, I grew shooting rifles left-handed.  The US Army, in it's infinite wisdom, did an "eye dominance" test on my ans stated that "I was a right handed shooter."  So, Drill Instructors turned my into a right-handed shooter.  Lefties, don't whine too hard here - I've been in your shoes.  I feel your pain.  Don't be a bitch about it, and learn "ambidextrous" shooting like I had to...  

Nope, I shoot badass from the left and horseschit from the right.with a rifle or shotgun. But I shoot a pistol right handed using my right eye. Go figure.

Edited by Sisco

3 hours ago, Sisco said:

If I can shoot an AK 7.62 x39 left handed, or my Auto 930 Mossberg left handed, I wouldn’t worry about the hulls by your face.

Hey I don't like the distraction of a 12 Ga hull parting my hair, I like to keep well groomed at all times, even when I am shooting at some center of uranus! .:fullauto: . . and you computer typing correction mess of DoDo, keep off my damn lawn! 😝

Edited by mrmackc

This is my “house gun”, went down to the local sports shop and got a used 870 slug gun paid 150-200$ for it. Added magpul furniture, an extended mag tube 8+1and a magpul barrel clamp. Later on I came across a deal on a Carlson barrel treaded for chokes and got it and a door breach choke for it. 

The receiver is old I think early 80’s, chambering a round would be enough warning for an intruder to GTFO, CLACK CLACK!!! 

8E236CCA-A5B8-4163-99E7-8A4ACA634561.jpeg

On 9/28/2019 at 8:10 PM, 98Z5V said:

Bla--Bla---Bla---Bla!