• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First venture... will appreciate input

SgtDog0311

On 11/21/2019 at 8:15 AM, SgtDog0311 said:

"Mid-length direct impingment gas systems run far better than do carbine lengths in larger-caliber chamberings.

I was going to say, there are no carbine length gas systems on the large frame AR's but Tom beat me to it. Like he said, Armalite calls their short gas system 'carbine' length but it's almost identical to what all the others call 'mid length'.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, SgtDog0311 said:

I got lost and dropped this elsewhere last night.

I think I am down to two Barrel choices.   Have not researched this faxon yet, i.e., would like to know if they have a bolt to sell with it.

https://faxonfirearms.com/faxon-18-big-gunner-profile-ar10-barrel-308-win-nitrided/#product-reviews

The other is the AERO BA 20" CMV offering now back in stock (or was a minute ago).   

The Faxon would make a 9lb out of an otherwise 10lb rifle, no mag or scope.   Just iron sights in that weight. 

Any observations... midweight?  Anything.   Even bolts/gas blocks available from Faxon.      

BA is owned by Areo perssision, Primary arms has a sale on,you can pick up just about any BA barrel in 308 for a little more than a $120

You care to move up a few notches then get a Criterion.

You can call them directly and speak to Josh,or you can order one from Fulton armory.

Get a bolt at the same time when ordering from Criterion or Fulton.

https://criterionbarrels.com/

FYI,I have well over a dozen BA barrelled firearms and probably six more spare barrels from BA.

Edited by Ravenworks

Thanks fellas.   I’m slow but I’m learning.

Been trying to read up on that Faxon.   I like the rifle length gas but just from reading here I have a little more comfort with the BA.  98Z5V’s mention over on Crimsonboat’s “Which Faxon” thread of the 18” midlength gas barrel from BA is attractive.   Both that and the Faxon’s 39oz is an attractive compromise.

I’m not far from Crimsonboat’s desired end-state so 98’s 1,2,3 on attributes was good stuff.

2 hours ago, Ravenworks said:

and probably six more spare barrels from BA.

Can you just post a picture here, of those SIX "spare barrels?..."  I don't even believe you for a second.  I'd just like a pic of the shiit you talk...  Post those six spare barrels...

Should be easy to do for you  -  since they're spares, and just piled up... 

:popcorn:

Edited by 98Z5V

14 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Can you just post a picture here, of those SIX "spare barrels?..."  I don't even believe you for a second.  I'd just like a pic of the shiit you talk...  Post those six spare barrels...

Should be easy to do for you  -  since they're spares, and just piled up... 

:popcorn:

Haha!!! He's gonna start coaching you on what to do with them! He WILL help you spend your money!:lmao:

Ok, I'm bored

I understand this is your very own little cyber hangout, but I have watched you run a lot of knowledgeable people off, Survivalshop  being one of them.

A conformation usually ensues after someone's idea is different than yours.

Having less than $450 in spare parts is not what I would call a horde and is really minor in the grand scheme of things.

I also understood that a lot of people don't have the funds to lay out on cheap insurance should the need ever arise.

So yeah me saying that I have half a dozen spares and by me saying that is nothing compared to some of the stuff I've read about while here.

I always love whopper, but at least I differentiate.

Let me call a time-out on the 'parts' questions for a general reading on something altogether more technical related to the AERO receiver to barrel interface.

I read this from Nathan with Faxon barrels on another forum:  

On an AR, the barrel to receiver interface is critical for repeated accuracy. If the front of the receiver is not faced correctly (its at an angle compared to the threads), the nut will apply uneven pressure and thus groups will open up dues to inconsistency. While this was relatively rare, due to the glut of parts made in "The Panic" there are new parts that are not quite up to spec.

Same with head-spacing. We have seen customers who have not actually checked it and just drop parts from the mail into guns and expect them to go bang. We manufacture and 100% test all our barrels to nominal SAAMI spec, but bolt manufacturers sometimes do not. Or, the bolt is made properly and the coating applied to it makes them too thick and it head-spaces tight. AIMs bolt carriers are great (we use them for testing ourselves since AIM is just up the road from us).

Then, on another Forum I read comments on a fella’s build where he said ‘he used the AERO Precision M5 Receiver rather than the M5E1 so he could lap the receiver face where the barrel mated’.   

Now, I’m committed to the M5E1 as opposed to the M5 since it’s already ordered and it’s at my FFL but I wonder just for managing expectations if the M5E1 is apt to have an issue not being faced optimally by lapping as described in the second comment?  Or even if one is better than the other.

Thank you.   AERO told me I voided warranty if I lapped the E1.   Was my first clue, then I happened on the above statements in reverse order, time-wise.  Question has been bugging me.

btw, I recon a Criterion barrel is in the running.   I mean why wouldn't I make this as difficult as I can.    Jeeze, sometimes even I can't stand me!

On 11/24/2019 at 11:57 AM, Ravenworks said:

Ok, I'm bored

I understand this is your very own little cyber hangout, but I have watched you run a lot of knowledgeable people off, Survivalshop  being one of them.

You don't know half of what you think you know.  Survivalshop joined here 10 May 2010.  Shortly after I did.  He's been here a long time, contributed alot, and he's a great, great guy.  He disappeared a couple years ago, for about a year, then came back.  I reached out to him while he was gone.

For what you THINK you know, you're full of shiit.  If he left again, then that's on him.  If you think that's all on me - then you are mistaken.  But you keep thinking that.

For why he stays, and why he goes - that's up to him.  For why he argues what he argues - again, that's up to him.

You gonna tell me what he thinks now, like Adam Schiff tells people he knows what the President thinks?...  That's pretty fucking audacious.

9 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

You don't know half of what you think you know.  Survivalshop joined here 10 May 2010.  Shortly after I did.  He's been here a long time, contributed alot, and he's a great, great guy.  He disappeared a couple years ago, for about a year, then came back.  I reached out to him while he was gone.

For what you THINK you know, you're full of shiit.  If he left again, then that's on him.  If you think that's all on me - then you are mistaken.  But you keep thinking that.

For why he stays, and why he goes - that's up to him.  For why he argues what he argues - again, that's up to him.

You gonna tell me what he thinks now, like Adam Schiff tells people he knows what the President thinks?...  That's pretty fucking audacious.

Try having a conversation without vulgarities, it shows ignorance.

He quit coming here the day you belittled him about being a gunsmith of 40 years.

It's not what I think, the proof is posted in the public eye for all to see.

14 hours ago, Ravenworks said:

Try having a conversation without vulgarities, it shows ignorance.

He quit coming here the day you belittled him about being a gunsmith of 40 years.

It's not what I think, the proof is posted in the public eye for all to see.

That's your take on it - what's your take on him since 2010?  You know all that now, magically?  You've been here for two years, signed up, and you haven't even been posting for a year.  Yet, you know it all, in all it's history.  It's rubbish, on your part, and you know it - but try to play your game.

If you want to get all "woke" and "profane-anonymous" about it here, then you might not be in the right place. There's alot of people here that speak their mind, and if that offends you, then start calling out the others, and don't try your games on me with it.  Otherwise, just fuk yourself. Right in the neck.

Well this thread woke right up.   In the mean while I did buy a few things.   Not too sure if I did real well on prices since Black Friday may prove me premature.   But I'm up to 9.5lbs so I'm punching in the middle weight division best I can tell.

Tools will be next.   Any pointers to a link that has a fairly comprehensive list here?

Off to the grandson's wrestling tournament.   

4 hours ago, 392heminut said:

All right!:thumbup: I've lost count over the years how many wrestling tournaments I've been to, 2 sons and 4 grandsons. We have 3 New Mexico State Wrestling champions in the family! Great sport.

Just two here helimut, son and grandson.   But grandson is still young.   Slow with puberty and you can see the difference when they walk out on the mat.    He’s hanging tough so far but the whole family are slow bloomers.   We’re early in the season yet.   My younger son (now 38) was a 2x All American at Fargo, 192lb back then.   It’s a way of life for sure.

13 hours ago, SgtDog0311 said:

Tools will be next.   Any pointers to a link that has a fairly comprehensive list here?

Unless you want to buy them from somewhere, I had the lapping tools made for the Aero upper(s) (large and small).

I also have the bar that inserts into the extension/lugs so you can then use a wrench to torque the barrel nut.

Flat rate USPS is pretty cheap,PM me again if you want to use them.

Thank You Ravenworks.   I just might take you up on the offer.   I'll watch some more YouTube 'build' videos and then pm you.   I did watch a couple YouTube videos already and I see a barrel nut wrench (no name given) and some kind of big black block for holding the receiver that goes in a vice - then there was tool with a rod to line up the gas tube.  I was hoping to find a thread that put a name to those tools.    Maybe some are not necessary but I guess I better go watch some more videos.

Right now I don't even know what to call tools to do good searches with.  

Regarding the lapping tools, there is a post about 12 up from here, time  Posted Sunday at 01:42 PM, that lead me to believe the M5E1 and M5 were different in that the M5 allowed/required lapping but the M5E1 did not.   In fact the AERO chat support told me that if I lapped my M5E1 that I'd void any warranty.    

I'll poke around and get back with you.   Thanks for the generous offer.

35 minutes ago, SgtDog0311 said:

Regarding the lapping tools, there is a post about 12 up from here, time  Posted Sunday at 01:42 PM, that lead me to believe the M5E1 and M5 were different in that the M5 allowed/required lapping but the M5E1 did not.   In fact the AERO chat support told me that if I lapped my M5E1 that I'd void any warranty.    

I'll poke around and get back with you.   Thanks for the generous offer.

I already told you, there is one company - ONE, company - that makes a lapping tool for the M5E1 Enhanced upper.  There is only ONE company that does that.  If you Google those specific terms, it'll turn up for you. 

23 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

That's your take on it - what's your take on him since 2010?  You know all that now, magically?  You've been here for two years, signed up, and you haven't even been posting for a year.  Yet, you know it all, in all it's history.  It's rubbish, on your part, and you know it - but try to play your game.

If you want to get all "woke" and "profane-anonymous" about it here, then you might not be in the right place. There's alot of people here that speak their mind, and if that offends you, then start calling out the others, and don't try your games on me with it.  Otherwise, just fuk yourself. Right in the neck.

@Ravenworks where you at on this?...  Since you're online, and responding to other people about other things...  You got any say in this?...  Or not.

Well AERO don't exactly have a blow-out on Black Friday do they.   Fortunately some others do.   

Ravenworks, thanks for the heads-up on Primary Arms.  Found some much needed movement on prices there.   

Everything but tools are ordered (and I think I got a handle on what all I don't have) so I can set this aside and get to work on a Peterson Ballard that's in desperate need of attention.

Appreciate the pointers from everybody!

Two regarding clamps for builds or barrel installations.  

1. Are there strong preferences here on which is best for securing the receiver?   I see a pretty good variety of options.  

https://secure.arnzenarms.com/product/wheeler-engineering/ar-15/ar-15-upper-vise-block-clamp

https://www.plastixrevolution.net/collections/ar10-upper-receiver-vise-blocks/products/308-upper-receiver-vise-block-ar10-sr25-lr308

or even the reaction lug type with vice slats, though this is not gonna hold a receiver steady for lapping purposes.

https://www.ebay.com/p/10025582091?_trkparms=aid%3D666006%26algo%3DPRP.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D40719%26meid%3D970e8b351a3f40e8943c635e106ee014%26pid%3D100697%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D4%26pg%3D2322090&_trksid=p2322090.c100697.m4697

2.  Also, do you guys go to the trouble of bedding along with lapping?