• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First venture... will appreciate input

SgtDog0311

Thanks RedRiverII.   Didn't know if people thought that ran a risk of marring the barrel extension or not.   Looks like a good way to isolate the torque utilizing the vise for another set of hands.  I'm sure there are a few ways to get the job done.   Of the two methods of holding the receiver in a vice was especially curious about the PlastiX vs the Receiver block insofar as ease of work went and protecting the receiver from torque.   Think I'll go with the PlastiX and learn for myself.   btw... 37.99 it was!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parts delivered thru this weekend.   Still got a flubbed-up order to straighten out with Primary Arms in the morning, a barrel to wait on from Criterion and a KAC front sight to receive, otherwise I guess the next step is to park myself in front of some videos.   Sent an AERO bolt I got on sale to Criterion but bought go/no-gauges anyway, since I have more than one .308.   

There are a lot of images of rifles straight from AERO that would represent my end-state but I've added the following:

• Superlative Adjustable Gas block.
  • VG6 Muzzle Break
  • 18” ‘Criterion’ Hybrid Contour barrel
  • Rifle length gas system
  • Two Stage LarRue Trigger (desert tan pistol grip)
  • Ambidextrous Raptor Charging handle
  • FTE cerakote 15" Hand guard
  • Knights KAC sights

I'm no connoisseur, ascetically, so I hope the FTE or Desert Tan hand guard, stock and pistol grip will look good with the black receiver.  

AERO build parts.jpg

AERO Receiver Knights KAC Rapter Ambi.jpg

22 minutes ago, SgtDog0311 said:

I'm no connoisseur, ascetically, so I hope the FTE or Desert Tan hand guard, stock and pistol grip will look good with the black receiver.  

I like two tone guns, I think it will look just fine. I've got a Matrix Arms 308 build that is burnt bronze cerakote with black furniture and it looks great!:thumbup:

5 minutes ago, SgtDog0311 said:

“Like” that burnt bronze!

It's a great Cerakote color, but make SURE you add enough hardener to it to keep if "flat" and not "semi" or "gloss".  If you make that mistake, it looks like a big gold tooth.  I kid you not.  I screwed up painting an EOTech of mine, and the damn thing came out looking like that big gold tooth.  I had to strip and paint that thing three times to get it right.  Make Burnt Bronze a FLAT finish when you do it...   :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

LPK, Larue trigger, buffer tube and stock installed.   Still working on obtaining lapping compound and bedding loctite for barrel interface.  The 120 grit lapping compound G&G sent with their tool feels like I'm using gravel from the drive so gonna get some 220 grit to finish lapping.   Otherwise I've got everything under my roof to put it together. 

And of course since I got it that far together I had to do a little mock up. Still a ways to go with the barrel. Does not feel too heavy at all for a fella used to his Ballard single-shots.

I better understand how "enhanced" versions of the AERO Upper limit a guy on the hand guards.   And squaring off the face of the receiver extension is altogether different.   Barrel nut goes from female threads to male threads and lapping tool goes down inside the extension - working on the face of the receiver instead of the face of the extension for squaring up that interface.

Trigger LPK Buffer and Stock.jpg

Mock up (3).jpg

• 9 months later...

OK, match schedule been taking precedence last two seasons so so just now getting to shoot this.  

Got cycling problems and need help trouble shooting.

Adjusted the superlative gas block all the way down then counted three revolutions open.  Then 3rds stripped off top of magazine and cycled/shot - no problem.   Next adjustment to 4 revolutions & produced a jam.  Round partially sripped off the top of mag but cocked and dented going in chamber.   Back to 3 revolutions and repeat of jam.   2&1/2, again jam.   

Several instances of failing to strip round from magazine and sent bolt home on empty chamber, including first pull/release of charging handle/bolt.

AERO upper and lower, mags are magpul, rifle gas length system, rifle length buffer with Armalite 6-position tube and rifle buffer.   18” Criterion barrel, aero bolt.   What else do I need to add to help diagnose the problem?

in advance - Thanks!

9 hours ago, SgtDog0311 said:

rifle length buffer with Armalite 6-position tube and rifle buffer.  

You're running a 5.200" long buffer in an extension that needs to run a 3.250" long buffer.   Any old AR15 Carbine H3 buffer is what you need, or the gen-u-wine Armalite AR-10 Carbine buffer - which is an AR15 Carbine H3 buffer.

Double check the internal depth of your receiver extension.  It should measure out at 7 5/8" internal depth.  If it measures 6 15/16" internal, or 7.000" internal - then it might be Armalite, but it's the M-15 (AR15) version, and not the AR-10 Carbine version.

Edited by 98Z5V

On 10/17/2020 at 11:00 AM, SgtDog0311 said:

Thanks for the responses!

per recommendations on page one I ordered the Armalite Rifle buffer/receiver extension.   Just pulled and measured.   Stuck a small rod and marked - mark is at 7&11/16”.    Buffer is 3&1/4”

Those are good numbers, and not your problem.  What spring?  Let's start looking at other things, besides the recoil system (and the info on the spring).  If it's all - ALL - Armalite, then it's the EA1095 spring - and we don't need to worry about it. 

Something else is going on, and it's not the recoil system.

For the record, though - that's not the dimensions for the Armalite RIFLE buffer/receiver extension kit - that's the Armalite AR-10 CARBINE receiver extension kit...

Edited by 98Z5V

Thanks for the correction 98Z5V.

I sure-enough had the rifle/carbine part of that acquisition turned around in my noggin.

I’m starting to think back on the sequence I followed seating my magazines, (Bolt closed or open) as we fiddled with the GB adjustment.

could be I was contributing.

going to try one round in mag, set GB at two full rotations and increase till bolt locks back - then try again with multiple rounds in the magazine.   I’ll post back when I get to do that.

8 hours ago, shooterrex said:

How about starting wide open and close it a bit at a time till it doesn't lock back on an empty mag. Then open up just a bit.

^^^  That right there is the way to set up an adjustable gas block.  You always start Wide-Open...  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Wanted to update this old thread.   My eyes allowed me one more year of BPCR competition and it took another year to prove it was over.   Upshot was I let this set till this summer when I did determine I had a function problem.   Wouldn’t strip a round from the mag or lock back on empty consistently.   I fished around and ultimately got pointed back here by dpete to a couple excellent threads on gas port size as well as gas tube length.   98Z5V in particular, but several others were a big help - and dpete assured me I could manage drilling out the port, so I did.   

Function problem resolved!!   

My BPCR days are over but my interests are still here.  I can still manage to shoot, just not competition.  I’ve even built a couple more AR-15s and another 308.

Guess I’ll have some reloading questions since ammo is so high.  I’m old enough to turn my efforts towards producing some ammo in bulk.   Don’t want to leave my sons firearms without a supply of decent ammo.  They may need it given the instability our fearless leaders are busy creating.

I like Dave Rubin and Douglas Murray but I have to draw the line with pants down hugs:-)

I think I can transition back to the novice stages ok though.    

I’ll risk annoying some with some bullet questions over in the reloading before long.

Been casting my own and shooting lead bullets long enough that it will be a little embarrassing exposing my lack of experience reloading for these.

On the bright side I got my room tidied up.   Should have seen it while drilling that gas port.   

1E8FF980-F6FA-4D03-94D7-68E854586AFD.jpeg