• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Any AZ brother's affected by tornados?

Armed Eye Doc

I think the news people/weather people are blowing this out of proportion. We have dust devils all the time out here - technically, those are tornadoes, too - just not underneath a rainy storm cloud.

We have high winds all the time, routinely during storm seasons, and they can uproot trees and rip up roofs.  As soon as that wind storm starts spinning in a circle, and rain is involved, the weather people are quick to brag about "tornado" this and that.

Here's one from September this year.  Big Bad Tornado... 

I was in two real-deal tornadoes as a kid in Ohio, that really ripped up the earth and tore up my small town.  What's going on out here is just weather/news sensationalism...  

Edited by 98Z5V

On 12/1/2019 at 5:27 PM, Armed Eye Doc said:

I saw that at least one of them was an F0.  One actually blew a chair into a pool. 

It sounds like sensationalism but some people don't know how to deal with it.

Bwahahahaha!!!! Sounds more like someone farted hard!:lmao:

I grew up in Kansas, I've seen some tornadoes!

Sounds like the terrifying 1” of rain in California. Pure chaos here...meanwhile there are people in boats cruising up and down their street a few states east of us. 

Im glad AZ came out of their tornados without the need for disaster relief. I mean, that chair in the pool is gonna take a whole 5 minutes to dry out in that dry heat.  

The May Tornado here in 99 killed 41 people I think.   They clocked 318 mph winds with that one.  I'd lived in Oklahoma more than 20 years and never seen more than circulation overhead.   That one was on the ground for 40 miles or more.   Picked up cars and a horse and put them on the roof at the High School my son and daughter went to.    I saw cars no bigger than a frig and you couldn't see what color they'd been.   Took out the north end of our neighborhood and the next year one got the south end of our neighborhood.   Started to feel like it was getting a vector check on me.    I live in a house now that was taken down to the bottom plates in that 99 tornado.   Rebuilt in 2000.  In 2013 I watched from the Storm Cellar steps as another come boiling down on us for what looked to be a direct hit.   I climbed down in the storm cellar and when we came up it had veered north about a 1/4 mile and another mile East of us killed seven grade school kids at Plaza Towers where my kids had gone to school.    20 years without seeing one and then a raft of em that came way too close.

I was making my 2am tucson-phx-tucson round trip on friday. Passing through that area right around 530 and Its was nasty. deep standing water. Couldnt see the lane dividers at all. Hail was coming almost vertical across the road. Wind was nasty. Ive driven through alot of bad weather but I seriously wanted to pull off and just wait it out. 

Back in '74 or '75, my then-wife and I were living in a mobile home park. Those things are tornado magnets, don't ever live in one if there's any other choice. Anyway, the tornado warnings were out but we didn't have anywhere to go. The two neighbors to the south left to stay with relatives. About 3:00 in the morning, a twister passed overhead. It took the end trailer, picked it up and smacked it into the nextdoor trailer. We were next, but didn't have any problems. Wife woke me up, says "A tornado just went by!" I asked if we were okay. She said we were. So I asked, "Then why'd you wake me up?" I think that's when she started hating me! :laffs:

6 minutes ago, blue109 said:

I was making my 2am tucson-phx-tucson round trip on friday. Passing through that area right around 530 and Its was nasty. deep standing water. Couldnt see the lane dividers at all. Hail was coming almost vertical across the road. Wind was nasty. Ive driven through alot of bad weather but I seriously wanted to pull off and just wait it out. 

You guys have been getting crushed, and it keeps letting up before it gets here.  Or, it rols through here weak AF, then finds it balls before it hits you guys...   I think we're in for another wet winter here, brother...   :thumbup: