• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Reticle adjustment and scope mount slope

CAVU

As you can imagine annual re-current ground training has been a requirement during my career.  I’m excited to mix it up and attend formal classroom training in Long Range Shooting.  A couple grand for the scope, a couple more for the spotting scope, and around 1.5K  for the barrel, AGB, BCG etc. shoot it to copper equilibrium then off to school somewhere. I can hardly wait.  

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. I was just thinking “ he’s has a good idea; I should get training “. Then wondering where the heck does a person go for this type of training. Your links were timely. I’m up here in the Great Northwest (Washington) and the Arizona location would be fine. 

16 minutes ago, CAVU said:

Thanks. I was just thinking “ he’s has a good idea; I should get training “. Then wondering where the heck does a person go for this type of training. Your links were timely. I’m up here in the Great Northwest (Washington) and the Arizona location would be fine. 

One of the instructors there, GPS Defense...   I don't know any of them personally, but I worked for 3 years with a Marine Scout Sniper, really good friend and bad motherfucker.  One of the instructors at that location was a Scout Sniper student of his, back in the day...  He (my friend) spoke very highly of him, and very highly of that course.  So, I don't know a guy...   But I really know a guy, that trained that guy...   :thumbup:

Wet, in Vancouver.  I’m based at  PDX.  I have friends over the Cascades with space to shoot but I know if I have to drive hours to shoot I’ll never get enough range time to have half a chance at even getting mediocre at this sport.  I’ve just started looking so I might find a sweet spot close.  It’s a little humorous; as I approach PDX I’m spending a little more time looking down for good spots to potentially shoot.  I just landed in Phoenix and  will depart for PDX in a hour and dam-it it will be dark and I can’t do any airborne scouting. 

You should really slow yourself down a bit, don't go out buying stuff until you actually know what you need.

Here is a video to give you an idea of one of the reasons I prefer a mounting system made from one piece of material for the AR platform.

Another reason I like a one piece mount is the convenience of moving the optical from one gun to another.

No problem here with the duplicate posts.  It just re-enforced your point 😃.  The cost of most of this equipment is automatically slowing me down.  It will be months before I can acquire/afford all the necessary equipment.  I don’t even have a barrel yet.  I’m thinking Bartlein 24” blank finished by Craddock Precision with +2 gas port and head-spaced bolt. JP Rifle FMOS.  I already have an Aero upper, KE Arms lower, ATC trigger, A2 rifle extension, Magpul PRS buttstock and generic LPK. That it. There’s still a long way to go but I’m having fun. 

On 1/1/2020 at 3:34 PM, CAVU said:

I love it!  That’s certainly good enough for me. of the  I’m starting to realize that finding a place to shoot long range around here could be one most difficult aspects of this type of shooting.

i have been researching appleseed proj. to find the closest to me. in the listing is washington state listing four locations all on wet side. in their info they talk of shooting 4oo yards at some ranges. they list an info phone #. you could ask them how far they shoot at which range. the ranges listed are olympia, redmond, eatonville, port townsend.          :fullauto:

11 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

i have been researching appleseed proj. to find the closest to me. in the listing is washington state listing four locations all on wet side. in their info they talk of shooting 4oo yards at some ranges. they list an info phone #. you could ask them how far they shoot at which range. the ranges listed are olympia, redmond, eatonville, port townsend.          :fullauto:

I'm a very big proponent of Appleseed.  I think everyone should go through an Appleseed Shoot. I was an instructor for years.  I need to get back into it again, and it's all been time-vying-for-time, in my busy schedule.  Appleseed Shoots are invaluable information to shooters, no matter what your skill level.

Hit it up:

https://appleseedinfo.org/

Click this to find one near you:

https://appleseedinfo.org/schedulemap/

Here's WA for 2020:

https://appleseedinfo.org/schedule/?qstate=WA&state=Washington

Up here we have Mapleseed, an offshoot of Appleseed after some Canadians went south had a blast and said Canada needs this and took the Appleseed instructor course. 

I've gone the last two years and will go again this spring.

On a recent trip to Arizona one of the many nuggets I picked up was shooting .22 out to 200yds to simulate shooting centre fire at longer ranges. 

15 minutes ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

On a recent trip to Arizona one of the many nuggets I picked up was shooting .22 out to 200yds to simulate shooting centre fire at longer ranges. 

What wind does.  The same wind will affect a .22LR 40gr projectile, at 200 yards, the exact same as wind affects a .308 Win 150gr projectile at 600 yards...  

That's why .22LR trainer rifles are worth their weight in gold.  Much cheaper long-range training, when you want to see what wind does to your impacts on target - and zero kick from the rifle...  :thumbup:

5 minutes ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

@CAVU listen to @98Z5V he's the source of the nugget along with many more. Me I'm a drunk three legged pig stumbling around occasionally lucky enough to stumble upon and recognize these nuggets.

Brother, I'm just a guy with too much time on my hands (means I ditched two wives, because they're time-consuming or evil - or both), and a great shooting spot not far from my house.

All I am is an interpreter.  I interpret complicated shiit, and technical jargon, and whiz-bang terms and confusology...  into laymen's terms.  I interpret shiit into reality, so we can all understand it - then do it.

I'm just a peckerwood that lives in the dirt, with too many guns. 

Edited by 98Z5V

On 1/3/2020 at 12:40 AM, 98Z5V said:

It's official...

giphy.gif

Can't believe @ARTrooper didn't call me on it when it was all going down...   He's usually quick about that.

Lol. Been bussy since the new year. The best thing about this place is no matter how quickly we go off on tangents, someone gets the information out there that is needed.