• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Will a PRS stock fit on a LAR-8?

Ted Bell

I'm pretty sure I have seen photos online of LAR-8's with a Magpul PRS stock on it, but when you go to the RRA website, it specifically says the PRS will not fit.  I'm aware of the different AR-10 vs. AR-15 PRS stock - does this warning pre-date the AR-10 stock?  Does the PRS stock fit the LAR-8 or not?

Here's the web page with the notice listed:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=379

• 1 year later...

ok here are pics with measurements, one with the charging handle all the way out, ect. hope it helps. oh, and no mods have been made to the stock. 98 and drew, yes i know i don't have the tac ops-1 yet, pre-emptively telling you it's in the future plans for both rifles when $$ allows.  <thumbsup>

post-644-136297266996_thumb.jpg

post-644-136297267211_thumb.jpg

post-644-13629726727_thumb.jpg

That's definitely the AR-10 PRS in his pics - no way would his charging handle clear an uncut AR-15 PRS.  <thumbsup>

Somewhere here on this site is a pic of the RRA .308 charging handle, compared to something else.  That's a long bastard.  I don't know why they designed it that way, other than to "be proprietary," but the thing is long.  Cutting the AR-10 PRS cheekpiece would be mandatory to get to work, but cutting it would make it work on the RRA .308 semi rifles.  About the same thing as cutting the AR-15 PRS to make it work on the other .308s out there.  <thumbsup>

Now I'm totally lost.  Between everything on here and what the RRA tech said, I've become confused.  Which PRS do I need to buy for the RRA LAR-8, the one for the ar15 and cut it down, or the Ar 10 and cut it down?  Sorry for the dumb question, just dont want to get the wrong one.

Alright. 

There's only two differences in the AR-15 PRS and the AR-10 PRS: 

On the AR-15, the cheekpiece is longer (front to back) because the charging handle on that gun is shorter, and the body that beds the cheekpiece fits that gap made by the cheekpiece.

On the AR-10 model, since the charging handle is longer than the AR-15 charging handle, the cheekpiece is shorter, and the body on that one fits the cheekpiece, also.

So, two differences - cheekpiece length, and the body of the stock to make both look aesthetically pleasing. 

You can make the AR-15 PRS work with the .308 AR semis, but you have to cut the cheekpiece down to clear the longer charging handle - it has to go all the way back in it's travel, or it won't work/function.  That leaves an "aesthetically-ugly" gap with the front of the cheekpiece and the stock body, but the thing functions well.  No big deal, really, unless it's in the looks-department. 

The RRA .308 charging handle is long. Loooong.   To run the AR-10 PRS on the RRA .308 rifle, you need to cut the cheekpiece the same as you were running the AR-15 part on the other .308 ARs, just to make it work.  If you run the AR-15 PRS on your RRA, you'll have a HUGE gap.  If you run the AR-10 PRS on your RRA, you'll still have a gap, but it would be smaller than what you'd have to cut the AR-15 part to. 

Bottom line - it's up to you, and how you want it to work.  Both will work, but you need to cut more of the cheekpiece on the AR-15 part, and the gap will be bigger. 

• 1 month later...

I've tried it. You'd need to find a carriage-style screw that's the right length. The screw they give you with the kit has the angled head, and it looks bad standing off the back of the stock. Also, said carriage screw would have to have a hole drilled through it to relieve the compressed air in the buffer tube on firing.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

The PRS is much shorter than you would expect, with the 1" stock extension really not so noticeable.

Here's the bugger...the screws that come with the extension are the incorrect head type to mount the PRS.  The threads are 1/4-28 fine thread.  You can get a screw at your local hardware store but it will not be vented, i.e., doesn't have a hole drilled down the center of the axis.

On my 20" Operator I did three things at once:  changed to polymer magazines, switched to a LP gas block, and switched the stock out to the PRS.  IMO that non-vented stock screw makes just enough back pressure to cause a FTE every 6 or 8 rounds.

I really need to get back on that.

Jon

The specs Brownell's gives the adjustable LOP for the PRS as 13 1/4"-14 1/2", while the MagPul website states that LOP is 13.8"-14.8".  MagPul also adds that the stock is 10.45"-11.45" unmounted.

While I ordered the extension at the same time as the stock, I slipped the stock onto the rifle both with and without the extension...it looked stubby extensionless.

I'm 5'11" and still have the stock in the middle of the adjustment range.

Jon

The specs Brownell's gives the adjustable LOP for the PRS as 13 1/4"-14 1/2", while the MagPul website states that LOP is 13.8"-14.8".  MagPul also adds that the stock is 10.45"-11.45" unmounted.

While I ordered the extension at the same time as the stock, I slipped the stock onto the rifle both with and without the extension...it looked stubby extensionless.

I'm 5'11" and still have the stock in the middle of the adjustment range.

Jon

Thank´s for the information. I have to take a closer look at the PRS and the extension. 

I live in northern europe so stuff like this doesn´t exactly grow on trees....  :)