• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Reloading dies on sale at PSA

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Nope.  If anything, it makes them all uniformly as accurate as you loaded them.  Puts a uniform crimp on every round - as long as you pay attention to sizing them the same case length.  Even it they're a few thou off, in case length - the crimp puts consistent tension on the projectile.

I'd be looking for a 3 die set including a full length sizer, bullet seat,  & a factory crimp? Please excuse my ignorance

37 minutes ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

I'd be looking for a 3 die set including a full length sizer, bullet seat,  & a factory crimp? Please excuse my ignorance

You can use whatever your preference is for dies - RCBS, Hornady, whatever.  I have a mix of those two brands, mainly, and maybe 3 sets of Lee dies. 

The Lee Factory Crimp die is available separately, usually for about $15 each.  No matter what RCBS or Hornady dies I have - I have a Lee Factory Crimp die for each caliber.  It stays in the box with the other dies.   :thumbup:

6 ARC is a good example - I waited for Hornady to drop their 2-die set for that, then grabbed a Lee Factory Crimp die as soon as it came out.

P1080875.thumb.JPG.ade87ac18ae9ac5f50c357e9374f594b.JPG

P1080876.thumb.JPG.c672814b619a4258eaf2dc23b95f938d.JPG

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

You can use whatever your preference is for dies - RCBS, Hornady, whatever.  I have a mix of those two brands, mainly, and maybe 3 sets of Lee dies. 

The Lee Factory Crimp die is available separately, usually for about $15 each.  No matter what RCBS or Hornady dies I have - I have a Lee Factory Crimp die for each caliber.  It stays in the box with the other dies.   :thumbup:

6 ARC is a good example - I waited for Hornady to drop their 2-die set for that, then grabbed a Lee Factory Crimp die as soon as it came out.

P1080875.thumb.JPG.ade87ac18ae9ac5f50c357e9374f594b.JPG

P1080876.thumb.JPG.c672814b619a4258eaf2dc23b95f938d.JPG

Nice! So the factory crimp die would be used last? (after seating bullet)

1 hour ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

Do the crimp dies effect accuracy at all?

Nothing I can add to what 98Z said. From a safety standpoint in greater then 5 round box magazines and tubular magazines it is a good idea also.

Edited by Sisco

One thing about the accuracy - if they're all crimped the same way, at the same tension - then once the primer ignites, they'll have that same neck tension and build to the same pressure - before the projectile is launched from the case.  If anything, they make ammo more accurate, that way.  You'll definitely see more consistent muzzle velocities, if you're shooting with a chronograph.  :thumbup:

It's just another piece of the puzzle, brother...   :laffs:

Plus - you crimp everything that goes through a semi-auto, like Sisco said, and crimping is absolutely mandatory for anything tube fed, like a 45-70 leever gun.  If you've ever seen bullet set-back, it's some pretty skeery shiit - and it compacts the powder charge, and spikes the pressure because of that.  Bullet set-back is pretty bad  through a semi-auto - it would be completely catastrophic if it ever happened in my 45-70, with the 405gr projectiles I load for that thing.  It wouldn't be a blown-up gun - I'd have a blown up torso...  

Edited by 98Z5V

16 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

What cartridge are you loading, brother?...   :popcorn:  That's a wide range, on those powders right there...  

The RL19 for my 25-06 85gr, RL22 for 270wsm 130gr, Varget for the 308 168gr. I've reloaded the 25-06 & 270WSM in the past & got great loads for those. I've NOT tried 308 yet. Do you have better powder suggestions for 308 instead of Varget?

21 hours ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

The RL19 for my 25-06 85gr, RL22 for 270wsm 130gr, Varget for the 308 168gr. I've reloaded the 25-06 & 270WSM in the past & got great loads for those. I've NOT tried 308 yet. Do you have better powder suggestions for 308 instead of Varget?

That makes perfect sense now...  I thought you were using those powders for one load workup...   I was thinking WOW!  That's some crazy range of powders to be using...   :laffs:

Varget is great for .308 Win and 5.56 heavies.  RL-15 is just about it's twin, too.  I switched to RL-15 after the 2012 Shortage...  I'm running Accurate 2495 for my .308 Win 178gr ELD-X loads now.   I run RL-22 for my .260 Rem, .300 Win Mag, and .338 LM loads. 

On 8/26/2020 at 6:26 PM, Lonewolf McQuade said:

What does the small base die do differently? 

It sizes the base of the brass a little bit smaller and it sizes down just a bit closer to the extractor groove (smaller radius entrance to the die). I've never really had a problem with .223 but I HAVE had issues with .308!

4 hours ago, 392heminut said:

It sizes the base of the brass a little bit smaller and it sizes down just a bit closer to the extractor groove (smaller radius entrance to the die). I've never really had a problem with .223 but I HAVE had issues with .308!

How will the small base die effect the cartridge for also being used in a bolt action? Will reloads be good for both bolt & semi or is it better to get regular set of dies for bolt gun?

How will the small base die effect the cartridge for also being used in a bolt action? Will reloads be good for both bolt & semi or is it better to get regular set of dies for bolt gun?

If you're gonna shoot the the exact same hand-loaded brass from a bolt gun AND a semi-auto, or several semi-auto guns, then the Small Base dies are what you should be using.

If you were only shooting the exact same brass, through the exact same bolt gun, ALL the time - then you could get away with just a standard sizing die, and just enough to bump the shoulder back, maybe 0.002" at most - and that gun would LOVE that brass.

If you're mixing-and-matching a loaded cartridge between a few semis and bolt guns - then the Small Base die is the only true friend that you really have - and it's gonna size that brass down to fit into the most demanding chamber, no matter what the specs are, bolt-gun or AR semi - minimum case dimensions for the brass, but more for minimum case dimensions for the specs/drawings on that specific cartridge - Small Base dies bring that fired brass all the way down to the dimensions of the cartridge, in it's original form - unfired.  All the other dies, that "say they're your friend..." - they'll just fuk you over. They like to talk like they can perform, like the hookers in the bar - but they can't do for you what the Small Base die can...  She's your bitch, right there, if that's what you're doing...   :thumbup:

Sorry, brother - had to break it down in terms that made sense, so you could understand it...   :lmao::banana:

23 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

If you're gonna shoot the the exact same hand-loaded brass from a bolt gun AND a semi-auto, or several semi-auto guns, then the Small Base dies are what you should be using.

If you were only shooting the exact same brass, through the exact same bolt gun, ALL the time - then you could get away with just a standard sizing die, and just enough to bump the shoulder back, maybe 0.002" at most - and that gun would LOVE that brass.

If you're mixing-and-matching a loaded cartridge between a few semis and bolt guns - then the Small Base die is the only true friend that you really have - and it's gonna size that brass down to fit into the most demanding chamber, no matter what the specs are, bolt-gun or AR semi - minimum case dimensions for the brass, but more for minimum case dimensions for the specs/drawings on that specific cartridge - Small Base dies bring that fired brass all the way down to the dimensions of the cartridge, in it's original form - unfired.  All the other dies, that "say they're your friend..." - they'll just fuk you over. They like to talk like they can perform, like the hookers in the bar - but they can't do for you what the Small Base die can...  She's your bitch, right there, if that's what you're doing...   :thumbup:

Sorry, brother - had to break it down in terms that made sense, so you could understand it...   :lmao::banana:

Thanks for dumbing it down to even my level 😂 fuker

Thanks for dumbing it down to even my level 😂 fuker

Hey, brother - don't ever forget that I'm HERE for you, no matter what you need.  I'm also here to help all the window-lickers in the back of the bus, because we just can't leave them behind.  One day - we're gonna NEED those fuckers on OUR side...  :thumbup:

Watch this quote wind up on a CNN News feed somewhere...   :banana:  HEY!!!  CNN!!!... Lick THIS!!...   :thefinger: