• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

NOS with a twist.

RedRiverII

New Old Story and not necessarily new old stock.  Hope it turns into a popcorn fest but not based on argument but reasoning. 

So we have cast,  forged,  and billet lowers.  I see prices from $49.99 and up into the hundreds with some closing in on a $1000 for a matched set.  I understand and appreciate precision,  meaning hole and void clearances being precise and clean cut.  How valuable is the lower to begin with?  Other than holding the operational parts in place where's the value ?  Is it merely the aesthetics ?  Do I need that extra strength added with beefed up designs meant to tighten flex?  I see anti walk pin holes on most,  also do the threaded pins make a whole lot of difference in assembly?  I have a few springs still orbiting the garage as we speak,  set loose when hurrying during a tedious step in assembly.  I'm looking at Ascend/Frontier which is a beaut,  but Aero does a terrific job with their offerings as well.  Anderson is always a good choice for the budget minded,  I've not had any problem with Anderson other that the 666 suffix on one of the lower receiver purchases.  No egg roll holes for me, egging a round hole not acceptable,  but my take down pins work just fine.  I'm just stumped on accepting the value of a basic block of aluminum with no further job other than holding controls in place.  OK I am partial to what Frontier did with their " JACK " rendition,  it is a ' piece of work '.  Now if they had a super duper,  and someone may,  venting system that made re-directional gas diversion charging handles obsolete,  I'm in for one,  er two,  or more.  Basically,  are three types of lowers,  cast,   forged,  or billet  redundant?

Edited by RedRiverII
spelling, school marm dismissed.

About the ONLY company that every made cast receivers, was Olympic Arms, on their severe budget models. You don't need to worry about cast receivers in modern times.

Rule cast receivers out.  And don't buy cheap shiit from no-name vendors.  Maybe some of this is out there, especially with the influx of garbage Chinese shiit that infects this gun world.

Having just done 2 one 6061 and the other 7075 I can tell you the 7075 is much nicer to play with. Not as grabby on the cutting tools and less heat generated during the machining process. Don’t think it matters much for a lower as to what it’s made out of I mean there are some pretty nice poly lowers but don’t use em to but stroke somebody. I would love to get a hold of one of the old plum crazy poly lowers.

@98Z5V  I'll have you know that I just received word from a friend that China has about the best stripped lower available.  My friend,   a VIP from Nigeria has put his nations trust in me,  I've been allowed to secure his country's gold supply while they settle some internal unrest.  Being the conscientious individual that I am I have sent him all my banking info.  You know trust works both ways.  Anyhow the new lower is made entirely of frog's wings,  and he has offered me the prototype for only one thousand dollars.  That's cheap any way you look at it.  Supposedly these frog's have been exposed to the same material that gave Spiderman his powers. Their wings are lighter than carbon fiber and three times as strong.  Damn,  I'm gonna make a fortune.  LaRue,  LaSchmoo.  All I need now is a dependable source of chicken lips and the first organic AR-10 will be available.  O baby,  can't wait to get rolling.  Do you think I ought to order that two tone Bentley now,  or should I wait ?  Nah,  might as well order it now,  no sense in wasting time.  The money is sure to follow.

12 minutes ago, RedRiverII said:

@98Z5V  I'll have you know that I just received word from a friend that China has about the best stripped lower available.  My friend,   a VIP from Nigeria has put his nations trust in me,  I've been allowed to secure his country's gold supply while they settle some internal unrest.  Being the conscientious individual that I am I have sent him all my banking info.  You know trust works both ways.  Anyhow the new lower is made entirely of frog's wings,  and he has offered me the prototype for only one thousand dollars.  That's cheap any way you look at it.  Supposedly these frog's have been exposed to the same material that gave Spiderman his powers. Their wings are lighter than carbon fiber and three times as strong.  Damn,  I'm gonna make a fortune.  LaRue,  LaSchmoo.  All I need now is a dependable source of chicken lips and the first organic AR-10 will be available.  O baby,  can't wait to get rolling.  Do you think I ought to order that two tone Bentley now,  or should I wait ?  Nah,  might as well order it now,  no sense in wasting time.  The money is sure to follow.

I can get you all of the chicken lips you need as I drive by a chicken farm on my way to work every day! As for the Bentley I can tell you that the two tone is kinda flashy and sorta over the top of you know what I mean!

Fantastic news,  that'll work.  It's funny how difficult it is to get started in business,  but once that ball gets rolling woo hoo!  So if two tone Bentley is a bit much,  would you I consider Yosemite Sam farting flames out his poop shoot near the muffler OK ?  One or the other,  can't be all conservative you know.

1 hour ago, AzRon said:

I can get you all of the chicken lips you need as I drive by a chicken farm on my way to work every day! As for the Bentley I can tell you that the two tone is kinda flashy and sorta over the top of you know what I mean!

Hahaha you can be flashy when you're old :lmao:

4 hours ago, RedRiverII said:

^^^  THIS is EPIC, right here...   :lmao::hail: