• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Need Help Ordered Wrong Buffer Kit

Aero308

So I’m starting my first AR10 Build and decided to go with Aero Precision M5 308 build. I’ll cut to the chase so by mistake I accidentally ordered an M5 308 Enhanced Carbine Buffer Kit when I meant to buy the M5 308 Rifle Length Buffer Kit. I already ordered a 18” complete upper and comes with the rifle length gas tube/gas block(non adjustable). I have a Magpul PRS Gen 3 stock so my question is will I be alright using the carbine buffer kit I already have or is it mandatory that I have to go with the rifle length buffer tube kit? Or would it just be possible to replace the gas block with an adjustable gas block? Sorry to sound like a newbie here but like I mentioned above this is my first AR10 build and hoping I can get some friendly guidance.

Parts I already have:

Aero Precision M5 Stripped Lower in FDE

M5 Lower Parts Kit

Aero Precision Enhanced Carbine Buffer Kit(Meant to order Rifle Length)

Aero Precision Complete Upper w/ 18” SS Barrel (waiting to arrive)

Geissele SSA-E 2 Stage Trigger

AR10 Radian Raptor LT Charging Handle

VG6 Gamma Muzzle

Magpul PRS Gen 3 Stock

Magpul MOE Grip

Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-2C (mrad)

Yet to Order: 

Aero Precision .308 Black Nitride Bolt Carrier Group

Magpul Bipod

Please inform me if I’m missing anything or any cost friendly recommendations that might help me improve my build. 

I’ve added pictures of what I plan on making my build look like(not sure if it’ll show)

Gas system and recoil system are independent of each other.  As long as they're balanced, and work well together, you're okay. Rifle gas doesn't mean that you MUST use Rifle recoil.  Hope that makes sense.

The PRS 3 will mount to either a rifle receiver extension, or a carbine receiver extension - so, that particular stock doesn't care what it gets mounted to.  It works for both.

Also, you are not building an AR-10! You are building a DPMS based AR 308. The AR-10 is made by Armalite and some parts are different than the DPMS based rifles. We try to point that out to newbies because it CAN make a difference if you have issues with function of the rifle.

On 6/25/2020 at 7:56 PM, 392heminut said:

Also, you are not building an AR-10! You are building a DPMS based AR 308. The AR-10 is made by Armalite and some parts are different than the DPMS based rifles. We try to point that out to newbies because it CAN make a difference if you have issues with function of the rifle.

Actually I already knew this lol Sorry about that didn’t mean to call it an AR-10 it’s almost as calling an AR an “Assault Rifle” when it’s really Armalite Rifle. These days many people are calling these AR-10’s it’s my bad that I referred it as an AR-10 so my apologies I really should of said AR308 but thanks for the correction 🙂 

On 6/24/2020 at 10:35 PM, 98Z5V said:

Gas system and recoil system are independent of each other.  As long as they're balanced, and work well together, you're okay. Rifle gas doesn't mean that you MUST use Rifle recoil.  Hope that makes sense.

The PRS 3 will mount to either a rifle receiver extension, or a carbine receiver extension - so, that particular stock doesn't care what it gets mounted to.  It works for both.

Thank you for your post! I found a video on YouTube from CountryMash on one of his 308 builds he currently has a carbine length buffer kit with a rifle length gas system with non adjustable gas block so if it’s working for him I guess I should be ok. I mean I could always just buy the rifle length buffer kit as it’s not too expensive but that’s $60-$70 I could use on something else so I’ll just work with what I have for now and maybe later in time switch it out to rifle length as it looks much more clean and flush with the rifle length tube.

I’ve been running my rifle gas, carbine buffer, non adjustable gas block since 2010.  There were many before mine and many after.  If you want a collapsible stock, you’re gonna be running a carbine buffer.

Edited by DNP

4 hours ago, DNP said:

I’ve been running my rifle gas, carbine buffer, non adjustable gas block since 2010.  There were many before mine and many after.  If you want a collapsible stock, you’re gonna be running a carbine buffer.

Are you running your rifle gas carbine buffer on a fixed or collapsible stock? I guess I should be okay otherwise why would my PRS come with both adapters for rifle length buffer and collapsible buffer adapter? I’ll just try it out with my carbine buffer kit I mean what’s the worst that can happen right lol

4 hours ago, Aero308 said:

Are you running your rifle gas carbine buffer on a fixed or collapsible stock? I guess I should be okay otherwise why would my PRS come with both adapters for rifle length buffer and collapsible buffer adapter? I’ll just try it out with my carbine buffer kit I mean what’s the worst that can happen right lol

If he's running a carbine buffer system, it's on a collapsible stock.  To my knowledge, the only stock out there that will work on both receiver extensions is that PRS 3 that you bought.

You're reading WAY to deep into a dilemna, that doesn't exist. You don't have to have a Rifle recoil system on a gun with a Rifle gas system. 

Read this, please.  It's directly FOR you, but it's for US, too.  Read it, soak it in, and we'll have less questions to answer, in the long run.  :thumbup:

Thanks in advance, for reading that thread ALL the way through.

Edited by 98Z5V

9 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

If he's running a carbine buffer system, it's on a collapsible stock.  To my knowledge, the only stock out there that will work on both receiver extensions is that PRS 3 that you bought.

You're reading WAY to deep into a dilemna, that doesn't exist. You don't have to have a Rifle recoil system on a gun with a Rifle gas system. 

Read this, please.  It's directly FOR you, but it's for US, too.  Read it, soak it in, and we'll have less questions to answer, in the long run.  :thumbup:

Thanks in advance, for reading that thread ALL the way through.

Awesome thanks for this! I’ll read through it now I’m sure I’ll find what I’m looking for here 🙂 thanks for the help fellas!

• 1 year later...

Good luck my Aero M5 20” upper with rifle length gas is not reliable on my Aero M5 Lower with M5 Carbine buffer tube kit.  I even tried the Vltor Rea5 tube, ea1095 armalite spring cand h2 buffer.  Single shot rifle.  Gas block is aligned, gas port at 0.096”.  I give up.  Aero said I must use rifle length buffer tube kit.

17 minutes ago, Reichenbach1976 said:

Good luck my Aero M5 20” upper with rifle length gas is not reliable on my Aero M5 Lower with M5 Carbine buffer tube kit.  I even tried the Vltor Rea5 tube, ea1095 armalite spring cand h2 buffer.  Single shot rifle.  Gas block is aligned, gas port at 0.096”.  I give up.  Aero said I must use rifle length buffer tube kit.

As I said on the other thread, you needed the heavier H3 buffer instead of the H2.

44 minutes ago, Reichenbach1976 said:

This is incorrect info from Aero.  I have several rifle-gas guns that use only Carbine Recoil Systems.  Something is fucked up with your gun if your parts aren't working. 

H2 buffer is your primary problem, right away.  It's too light.  You need H3 at a minimum (5.4oz).

Feel free to tell an Aero Rep that they can hop on here and debate this with me, if they wish.  I'll fix it, and the bad information going out.  I love Aero, always will.  This isn't good info, though, coming out of them.  It's inaccurate info.

Edited by 98Z5V