• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Obscure object of desire: Armalite AR-103GN18.

Charlie

I have a bad habit of reading gun reviews on TTAG, and particularly reviews of manufacturers I like (Armalite, Sig, CZ, and others). So when they posted a glowing review of Armalite's M-153GN18 I had to have one. I bought it on November 18 last year, and it is everything they said it would be! Basically, I'm impressed as all get out! This got me to wondering if I should buy the AR-10 version of that rifle.

I suppose that the Tactical version is pretty much the same thing, but I don't need all that Pic rail between the upper receiver and the sight block. The 3GN version looks cleaner (and the SS barrell looks plum gorgeous!)

I already have two AR-10s, a BF and a BNMF, and they're cool, but 'ya know, gotta feed that fire.

Do any of you guys have an AR-103GN18, and if so what do you think about it?

Charles

AR103GN18-1.jpg

Copying and pasting here for convenience...

"If you post, inquiring about a product, be it new or old, and no one responds with a review within 48 hours, you are hereby required to buy said product, and review that product, so that this rule doesn't apply to the next person with the same inquiry. "The Rule" shall not apply to the announcement of new or upcoming products, unless there is some context inquiring as to who will be the first to assume ownership of said product. At that point "The Rule" will once again apply to the poster, who will be obligated to be the first in the stated question.

While this shouldn't need to be stated, pictures are required, or that s*** didn't happen."

copy and pasted from another post

2 hours ago, Charlie said:

Do any of you guys have an AR-103GN18, and if so what do you think about it?

Charles

Charlie - you owe be some beer, brother.  :thumbup:

You're looking at the 18" gun.  I have the exact same gun, in the 13.5" version.  It runs like a CHAMP.  I didn't buy it - I did it different.  I decided that THIS ONE was gonna be my experiment on the different platforms - DPMS LR-308 vs. Armalite AR-10.  I built my 13.5" 3 Gun Armalite rifle with all Armalite guts - in Aero M5 receivers.

If you're wondering whether this gun will run, be flat shooting, and be badass accurate - it will.  My 13.5" shocks me at what it can do.  I think @Robocop1051 is secrectly "more in love" with this one, than he is with my Mossy Shockwave...  :thumbup:

1088868776_13-5308ar.JPG.c30977ad4b45fc5be8df778a33f2d301.JPG

21 hours ago, Radioactive said:

"If you post, inquiring about a product, be it new or old, and no one responds with a review within 48 hours, you are hereby required to buy said product, and review that product, so that this rule doesn't apply to the next person with the same inquiry. "The Rule" shall not apply to the announcement of new or upcoming products, unless there is some context inquiring as to who will be the first to assume ownership of said product. At that point "The Rule" will once again apply to the poster, who will be obligated to be the first in the stated question.

Oops. :-) I do have this thing, and it's the shiz nitz. I am serious! That target is 4 rounds of Hornady 75gr BTHP (#8026) at 100 yds! I don't know about you, but that's a good group for me.

C

M153GN18.thumb.jpg.8316c023b6a083357f5e42f17deb89c6.jpg

IMG_20200214_154258822.jpg

The M153GN18 was my birthday present to myself last year, and I'm planning to get the AR103GN198 for my birthday this year. They're currently out of stock at the two places I routinely deal with, but I'll check some other sources.

C (buys himself really nice birthday presents :-)

Edited by Charlie

22 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

You're looking at the 18" gun.  I have the exact same gun, in the 13.5" version.  It runs like a CHAMP.  I didn't buy it - I did it different.  I decided that THIS ONE was gonna be my experiment on the different platforms - DPMS LR-308 vs. Armalite AR-10.  I built my 13.5" 3 Gun Armalite rifle with all Armalite guts - in Aero M5 receivers.

1088868776_13-5308ar.JPG.c30977ad4b45fc5be8df778a33f2d301.JPG

Funny. I built my 12" Leonidas on Armalite receivers with Armalite guts. :lmao:

426157928_UpdatedAR-10SBR_1.thumb.JPG.4bd146bcf709d7f188a3cd136be0b43b.JPG

2 hours ago, DNP said:

I gotta learn to read. He was aware of the rule though....he was going to let us think we forced him to do it. 

That's a good excuse for me to buy it, but I wasn't actually aware of the rule. I just blundered in looking for info.

I have been an Armalite fan since 2010 when I bought my son an AR10-BF for his first deer rifle. At the time I was shooting an HK-91, but when we went to the range to sight them in his AR-10 was several orders of magnitude more accurate than the HK. I tried everything I could think of to get the HK to group better and nothing worked. So I sold it and bought an AR-10BNMF, and I still have it (which says a _*LOT*_ about it!).