• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Changed handguard now charging handle locks

Fmtreading

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I did read that post again there is no information relevant to front take down pins.As I stated thats where issue is gonna be no need to be disrespectful im not wasting your time as you choose with your own free will to answer.All parts are stock from dpms factory buffer assembly has never been moved or changed i have given much details and ill add more to waste time sure here's the information you requested.you already have the measurements for bcg also stock as the whole rifle is stock.20201005_021724.thumb.jpg.1295ec0bdf023bccb85c3c5ec299c519.jpg20201005_021513.thumb.jpg.6278abf378576f58a26457d173febc3a.jpg20201005_022020.thumb.jpg.7a35b5c3ea5102fcabbc778072d7db0c.jpg

How does the alignment pin look on the barrel? How does the slot look on the upper that the pin slides into? If either one of those are messed up I can allow the barrel to twist and the bolt lugs might hang up.

Edit after looking at pics on first page again...upper notch and bolt lugs look pretty good from what I can see.

Edited by blue109

@Fmtreading To eliminate the lower, Clean the chamber and extension really good and try charging the upper without the lower attached. Round will probably be sticky, probably need to mortar it out but shouldn't be too hard. (Mortar it onto something softer then concrete floor. Or use a rubber mallet on the charging handle, that works for me)

f you had a go gauge that would be even better then a live round. We are trying here to determine how difficult it is for the bolt to rotate into and out of battery.  New 308 chambers can be tight. Different ammo can make a big difference. A lot of rounds that are difficult to extract manually fire and eject just fine, especially in a new chamber.

Hopefully you didn't damage the barrel extension with the reaction rod and all that torque. 

The scratches look like drag marks from the lugs on the barrel extension, wouldn't worry about them. 

Probably take some time, be safe and keep after it. 

PS after converting g to oz I think you are going to find out that buffer is way too light. need 5.4 oz 153 g

Edited by Albroswift

He said the gun ran fine before he beat on it, so im tentatively eliminating the usual "308 tight chamber" as the problem.

The mystery here to me is that it hand-cycles fine with an empty chamber, and hand-cycles on the first chambered round but locks up tight on subsequent rounds. 

Was this repeatable?  Did you do this a bunch of times to verify? It just doesnt really make mechanical sense. if its going to hang up with a round chambered,  it should do it on every round. 

Its 3.9 oz after converting from grams i was tired didn't even realize it wasn't on oz.@blue109 I've done this test approximately 6 times and everytime same thing happens.I've never seen anything like this and I can't find it online anywhere so I came here.im gonna try without the lower but that will be a single round at a time it always works fine on first but locks forward on 2nd round.

2 hours ago, Fmtreading said:

Yes, exactly what I'm running in my 12.5 in ar308. Better yet replace the entire tube, buffer, and spring with the Armalite 7-3/4" setup when back in stock. 

Screenshot_20201005-104309_Chrome.jpg

2 hours ago, Fmtreading said:

I figured out the buffer tube situation spring needed to be seated first i was doing it after I tighten it down.

If the buffer tube is installed correctly, there should be no way for your buffer retainer and spring to come out.

The buffer tube should cover/catch the edge of the retainer and keep it in place.

How were you installing the retainer after installing the buffer tube?

Thats the cam pin. Hes saying that little pin on the barrel should be lined up with the gas key on the carrier. The chamber section at the rear of the barrel is threaded on and "glued". Its always possible you twisted it a little, but id think the slot in the upper would look ragged if that were the case, and it doesnt explain why the first round unlocks fine. I was also thinking maybe you crushed the front of the upper a tiny bit allowing the barrel to seat deeper into it shrinking the headspace enough to lock it up with a round chambered. No fix if thats the case. Its hard to troubleshoot this one over a computer.