• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Changed handguard now charging handle locks

Fmtreading

Helllo, @Fmtreading

More photos of the upper, and...

Upper only stripped, does the charging handle move freely.

Upper/ BCG/ charging handle no barrel, do the parts reciprocate freely.

Add barrel, repeat

No internals, upper an lower and charging handle only, repeat...

You see where I'm going with this, one part at a time until you hit the rock. I bet you wiped out your upper, but like you say hard to diagnose. As some say areound here, stick with it give us all the info we ask for and we'll get her running. 

Edited by Albroswift

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Fmtreading said:

It functions with everything together its once I add rounds to the clip does it lock on 2nd load.I'll re do everything as you ask step by step.

Also, I recognize the handguard in the photo, ditch it, out of spec piece of junk. Rail to tight to the outside diameter of the guard to install any accessories that have to slide on from end.  (Also, I recognize the barrel nut, and the broken wrench, been there, done that, got the tee shirt!) Use ant seize or MCARBO grease. If you want a budget handguard, one place I like is ar15handguard.com. Sam Pan is great on customer service and everything I've gotten there fits nicely.

Luck. 

2 hours ago, Albroswift said:

Lock closed or open? Second round in chamber and fired? 

2 hours ago, Albroswift said:

Helllo, @Fmtreading

More photos of the upper, and...

Upper only stripped, does the charging handle move freely.

Upper/ BCG/ charging handle no barrel, do the parts reciprocate freely.

Add barrel, repeat

No internals, upper an lower and charging handle only, repeat...

You see where I'm going with this, one part at a time until you hit the rock. I bet you wiped out your upper, but like you say hard to diagnose. As some say areound here, stick with it give us all the info we ask for and we'll get her running. 

Outstanding diagnostic my friend! +1

@billymaggYou know what I missed, first thing ALWAYS, 1 round in a magazine, insert magazine, charge and fire. If it doesn't lock back, no reason to go any further. @Fmtreading may have second round coming out part way and slamming back in. Slamming spent brass back in the chamber will make for a sticky situation. The photos he shows are live rounds, no fired cases. 

On 10/3/2020 at 2:14 PM, Fmtreading said:

The stillson wrench was the only thing on earth that was able to remove it i know it don't belong with the kit but sometimes we gotta improvise at a time like this.

vintage stillson wrenchs    <---Stillson wrench

Edited by dpete

And all this has been done manually i figure if it can't work manually how will it be able to fire if it is locking closed on me.The barrel nut I broke my tool applied way to much gas tube was off by half the tube diameter.I gave it weight broke my tool in the process and killed it With a smaller wrench.So I pulled out the 18 inch stillson it came right off but that damage occurred with a smaller wrench i now know a shim was the answer and I should have never went over 30lbs of torque it was my first try i learned my lesson.

What more are you looking for info-wise on the barrel nut?  When putting it on, it didn’t line up for the tube. He threw additional weight at it to to get it to align and snapped his barrel nut wrench. The. Went to plan B and sacrificed it during removal. He’ll have to chime in so you can be sure, but from the sound of the posts, no - he has not fired it - manual operation only. I’m curious where you’re going, because I know you have something specific you’re looking at with this...what is it you want to know about the barrel nut?

Ok when I first got it I fired 20 rounds just to see if it functions I put it away.I wanted to upgrade the handguard.I went cheap all I could afford at the time.I removed the a2 flash hider then the stock handguard i then loosen the front sight gas block slid off.I then installed low profile gas block.went for the barrel nut i cranked it 3 times to 30 lbs with a torque wrench.Went to install the gas tube it wouldn't go threw the opening it was slightly off so I thought mabie it needs a little more weight.I took it up to 80lbs on the torque wrench got even closer it was off by a few hairs so close so I had the bright idea put my body weight on it.Im 250 so id say I took it to 120lbs it wouldn't move at all closer i then broke my tool and the barrel nut with that genius move.so I thought just remove it and re start the whole process with stock parts.Well all I did was strip it so I thought I just want it stock again at least working so I pulled out the angle grinder cut the ring off and pulled out the 18 inch wrench it got loose instantly.I thought i was home free i re assembled stock parts went to test cycling manually first round loaded i pulled the charging handle round ejected and loaded the 2nd round i went to pull to eject it was locked closed i mean tight i had to take the pins out the rifle just to get the round out and I inspected the rounds saw scratches that wasn't happening before nor the locking.i am giving as much details as possible.

Dnp your correct im testing with manual functions as i believe correct me if im wrong.A rifle should function manually as me pulling the charging handle would be the same function as gas built up pushing bcg back to then load another round.Is that normal for it to lock up on 2nd round while pulling charging handle manually id assume it should eject every time.

19 minutes ago, DNP said:

...what is it you want to know about the barrel nut?

Just trying to take this from A to B, and then C...  and we're talking about rounds that won't chamber/eject all of the sudden, after all this aftermath of barrel nut damage. ... Just trying to figure out how we got here, because we haven't had a full story on it yet.

Until this vvv, right here.

18 minutes ago, Fmtreading said:

Ok when I first got it I fired 20 rounds just to see if it functions I put it away.I wanted to upgrade the handguard.I went cheap all I could afford at the time.I removed the a2 flash hider then the stock handguard i then loosen the front sight gas block slid off.I then installed low profile gas block.went for the barrel nut i cranked it 3 times to 30 lbs with a torque wrench.Went to install the gas tube it wouldn't go threw the opening it was slightly off so I thought mabie it needs a little more weight.I took it up to 80lbs on the torque wrench got even closer it was off by a few hairs so close so I had the bright idea put my body weight on it.Im 250 so id say I took it to 120lbs it wouldn't move at all closer i then broke my tool and the barrel nut with that genius move.so I thought just remove it and re start the whole process with stock parts.Well all I did was strip it so I thought I just want it stock again at least working so I pulled out the angle grinder cut the ring off and pulled out the 18 inch wrench it got loose instantly.I thought i was home free i re assembled stock parts went to test cycling manually first round loaded i pulled the charging handle round ejected and loaded the 2nd round i went to pull to eject it was locked closed i mean tight i had to take the pins out the rifle just to get the round out and I inspected the rounds saw scratches that wasn't happening before nor the locking.i am giving as much details as possible.

And this still doesn't make sense to me.  I don't know how we got from the first question in this post - as a problem - to this description that we have here.  It worked, if fired, and then it was messed with - and we're missing something in between, that hasn't been stated.

Was the GAS TUBE removed - COMPLETELY - before you tried to remove the barrel nut?  I'm missing something here that hasn't been stated, but I can only guess so many times, before it gets tiring.

I don't get how the charging handle is getting "stuck" here ("Charging handle locks"), from the first post - and there's been a LOT of fucking with this gun in between the first post, and the damage and descriptions we're seeing now. 

I'm just dumbfounded, and trying to figure out what's going on, or what I missed in this one.  I just don't get what's going on.  I don't think we're getting the full story, from A to B.  A is the very start,  and B is where we are right now. All the steps in between. There's still something missing, that hasn't been stated, because it's not making sense to me in the least. 

Some pretty serious shiit went down, for this to happen - and it was information that was requested of the OP, to even get this pic...

20200923_234949.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V

answers to the testing 1st round inserted it ejects and bcg stays locked back as it should when mag is empty.1 upper stripped charging handle moves freely.2 parts installed bcg and charging handle functions correctly no barrel without mag goes back and forth locking into place.3 with barrel installed bcg and charging handle it slides freely locking into place with empty mag both lock bcg back as it should for both tests.4 with just charging handle in upper and lower it slides fine if i pull back too far it comes off track.

3 minutes ago, Fmtreading said:

answers to the testing 1st round inserted it ejects and bcg stays locked back as it should when mag is empty.1 upper stripped charging handle moves freely.2 parts installed bcg and charging handle functions correctly no barrel without mag goes back and forth locking into place.3 with barrel installed bcg and charging handle it slides freely locking into place with empty mag both lock bcg back as it should for both tests.4 with just charging handle in upper and lower it slides fine if i pull back too far it comes off track.

Please provide pictures of what you're talking about here - and it "comes off track." Thanks in advance.

I've given as much details as possible i walked everyone threw the process i did ill be happy to answer anymore questions to help me out.my assessment is 1 I damaged the upper slightly bending it frame wise.2 I damaged the pins to lower throwing alignment off.3 I damaged the bolt head assembly somehow.causing it to malfunction on extracting 2nd round making it lock up.