• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Matrix 308 AR Receiver Set/PWS Billet lower/STAG set

GT8888

Some low cost receiver sets/lowers available on the auction site

Matrix sets for $200

PWS billet lower made by SI Defense apparently before they went to forged for $150

Stag sets for $300

I am leaning toward the matrix set hard to go wrong at that price any warnings?  The PWS is tempting too but seller won't answer any questions

14 hours ago, GT8888 said:

Some low cost receiver sets/lowers available on the auction site

Matrix sets for $200

PWS billet lower made by SI Defense apparently before they went to forged for $150

Stag sets for $300

I am leaning toward the matrix set hard to go wrong at that price any warnings?  The PWS is tempting too but seller won't answer any questions

Aero owns Stag now.  Doesn't mean that the Stag set that you're looking at is under the control of Aero, as this just happened recently, and we don't know the age of what you're eye-balling. EDIT - That reminds me - I forgot to post that acquisition up in the Firearms News section.

Matrix is solid, but you need their pivot and takedown pins, like sketch stated.  They're good, though. You looking at the older sets, or the newer stuff - or do you know, on those?

Or, just buy Aero Precision M5 sets, and never worry.  That's the most reliable builder-sets out there now, by far.

When it's cheap, and it doesn't work - and you have to put in a TON of time, research, and work into getting it right - IF you can get it right...  

...then how cheap was it in the first place?...  :popcorn:

I'm not telling you to buy an Ed Brown 1911 or Nighthawk Customs 1911 here.  Just spend your money wisely.

Edited by 98Z5V

Thanks for the replies, the Matrix looks newer - So are they Armalite pins or a special pin length only MAtrix uses?

I'm with you on just buying Aero, they are solid and readily available, but these intrigued me

I actually found an ADM 308 set for reasonable price I picked up but wondering about a more "budget" build now too 🙂

This is what the Matrix looks like 

AR-10 Matrix 308, 6.5 creed, 243 receiver set Noveske, Stag, Armalite-img-0

That looks like the old matrix with the AR10 style cut. had a few differences in the lpk. I dont even remember the details anymore but it was a PITA. All documented in the matrix subfoum here. Also caused me several other headaches during my over complicated build because of non standard specs. Check my thread Blue Builds a Carbine if you buy one. Turned out great in the end. Just took extra work. 

16 hours ago, GT8888 said:

🙂

This is what the Matrix looks like 

AR-10 Matrix 308, 6.5 creed, 243 receiver set Noveske, Stag, Armalite-img-0

That's old-skool Matrix, right there.  I have one of those sets that I made into a.338 Federal AR, and it's wicked bad.

15 hours ago, blue109 said:

That looks like the old matrix with the AR10 style cut. had a few differences in the lpk. I dont even remember the details anymore but it was a PITA.

^^^  Exactly right - you HAD to have their pivot and takedown pins, because they were longer than "normal."  When I built my set for my .338 Fed from those, I got one extra pivot or takedown pin from YOU, brother, and someone else here sent me the OTHER pin that I needed - or I'da been fucked. 

Kudos to the brothers - without you guys, that gun wouldn't have happened.  Extra pivot pin from one, extra takedown pin from the other...  :hail:

The .338 Fed 16" gun:

1 PP1.jpg

1 PP2.jpg

1 PP3.jpg

1 PP4.jpg

thanks for all the feedback guys, sounds like 250 or so for an Aero set to keep from ripping one's hair out is the way to go vs 200 for the Matrix.  The PWS billet lower made by SI-Defense/Falkor for 150 is still intriguing but I would bet has it's own issues and the listing ended anyway though there were 10+ available

PWS - LR308 Billet Lower receiver-img-0

10 hours ago, GT8888 said:

thanks for all the feedback guys, sounds like 250 or so for an Aero set to keep from ripping one's hair out is the way to go vs 200 for the Matrix.  The PWS billet lower made by SI-Defense/Falkor for 150 is still intriguing but I would bet has it's own issues and the listing ended anyway though there were 10+ available

PWS - LR308 Billet Lower receiver-img-0

I own a full PWS rifle with no issues. May be worth the chance as a back up or “project to be completed later”

14 hours ago, edgecrusher said:

I own a full PWS rifle with no issues. May be worth the chance as a back up or “project to be completed later”

I don't question PWS I know they are quality but I think these were only available on MK2 Mod 0 and Mark 2 Mod 1 for a short time before they switched to forged for their production MK2s but at that price certainly not a huge gamble and I'm sure it can be made to work with a PWS upper at the very least

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing about the Armalite based Matrix receivers that no one has brought up is that at different times the uppers were threaded for either DPMS or Armalite barrel nuts. If the vendor can't tell you which one it's threaded for then it's a toss up what you'll get. If I remember right, the earlier ones were DPMS thread and the later ones were Armalite thread.

1 hour ago, Rsquared said:

I hate that cactus. And that's not even the one out front that jumps out and gets my ass every damn time I walk by it. :lmao:

That one out front is an evil bastard - I finally had to do some surgery on it, and cut it back, before it got some little kid on a bike...   :laffs: