• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

98's .358 Winchester AR

98Z5V

Just now, jtallen83 said:

So the the softer shooting trend off the 338 Fed. doesn't scale up then, maybe a non-piercing load will lighten it up a bit :laffs:

Ooooh, definitely not, brother!  This gun is just plain ANGRY...   :lmao:  I only set this load up like this:  Hornady 250gr SP-RP projectiles, necked-up .308 Win brass (whatever kind I had laying around), CCI 200 primers, 39.1 grains of Reloader 7 powder.  Wow!  Vicious...  These things get loaded like .300 BLK - fatass projectiles, pistol powder, basically...  

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 3/1/2022 at 1:40 AM, 98Z5V said:

Those are all first-formed brass, necked up from generic .308 Win brass, whatever-headstamp...  I wanted to make 20, so I got 20 ready, and split 2 cases.  Grabbed another 2, just to get my full mag of 20.  I'll revisit those 2 that split, and see what their headstamp was.  they really SPLIT when they went through the sizer die, with little pressure.  It took 3 or 4 passes to get the rest necked up, but those 2 weak bastards didn't have hardly any pressure on them, and just split.  Later story, on those 2. 

These 20 in the mag right now will look slightly different, after shooting, and fire-forming them to this chamber.  After that, I'll know how much the shoulder needs bumped, for future reloading on this...  

Headstamp didn't really seem to matter when I put up my 358's from random 308 brass.  The most I could tell was likely due to age/number of uses on brass.....and that was not a real scientific deal, as I cannot tell which pieces have one or 5 reloadings on them.  I have more than a 5 gallon bucket to choose from, and i never did separate anything....

7 hours ago, bubbas4570 said:

Only thing I can add is that plenty of lube, and not going too fast on the upstroke with the expanding.....then the splitting seemed to lessen.

Not a joke, and no innuendo here.  

Might want to anneal the brass before you try to ram that expander up there.  🙄🙄🙄

Steve

13 hours ago, Steve crawford said:

Might want to anneal the brass before you try to ram that expander up there.  🙄🙄🙄

Steve

I had thought of that, and due to my experiences in decades past with annealing 45/70 brass I think that the brass would be too soft for expansion.  I folded cases after annealing just by trying to seat bullets, flairing the mouth, and there wasn't any perceived differences in those cases either.....just like the 358/308 losses.

8 hours ago, bubbas4570 said:

I had thought of that, and due to my experiences in decades past with annealing 45/70 brass I think that the brass would be too soft for expansion.  I folded cases after annealing just by trying to seat bullets, flairing the mouth, and there wasn't any perceived differences in those cases either.....just like the 358/308 losses.

I annealed all of my 45/90 and 45/120 cases and never had any trouble seating the bullet (lead grease grove).  The only time I had trouble was trying to make 40/65 cases from 45/70.  After 5 or 6 tries I could not get a good case but I did not try to anneal them before I tried to size them in the 40/65 die.  I have learned that I don't get the same results when I do things that other people do.    😕😕😕

Steve

Edited by Steve crawford

Yeah, I probably annealed some too much....who knows?  I would get wrinkles from almost any step, but mostly bullet seating.  Probably was the differential between the .461 lead bullets and the standard .458 expander...I needed oversize bullets for the trapdoor.

• 1 month later...

Figured 98 would like this.....

(not really a what did you do this weekend, but....)

Tumble lubed, ready to load, and they just flat out THWAAACK!!!!! downrange out of either of my 358's.

Weight is as is.

I am not worried about boolits to feed my beasties, just primers and powder, when that day comes.  More pounds of wheel weights on hand than I have barrel life/components for....and that works well this caliber also, from the same mold, same process.

20220519_142934.jpg

7 hours ago, bubbas4570 said:

Figured 98 would like this.....

That is BADASS, Bubba!!!   :banana::hail:

My next solution / step in taming this monster is a buffer from Slash.  He makes a buffer that's 8.5oz.  The XH Carbine.

XH%20CAR%20Buffer.gif

• 3 months later...

Got that buffer in last week, installed, but haven't shot this one again, yet.  That'll happen in the next couple weeks, though, for certain.  I'll update again after I shoot this mean bastard with that new Slash 8.5oz buffer in there. 

• 9 months later...