98Z5V

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Making more baby steps.  Complete gun now, minus optic.  Tossed a mil-spec trigger in, that I've been working on for years.  It's probably the most polished, tweaked mil-spec trigger in existence.  I don't hate it, but it's not a 2.5lb/4.5lb 2-stage.  But it works.  Picked up a B5 Systems Bravo stock and the B5 P23 grip for it, in coyote.  I've had a love affair with B5 Systems since they won the military contract over LMT for the SOPMOD stock.  LMT came up with it, under .mil contract, but LMT wanted $200 for it.  B5 re-won that contract, for a stock for $100. I've had that B5 SOPMOD stock on the original Mk12 Mod 0 since about 2010.  B5 rocks.  The B5 Bravo stock offers the same cheekweld as the SOPMOD, but without the storage (and additional pieces, and weight).  Badass stock.  Same with the P23 grip - same forward grip angle of a MagPul MOE K2.I dig it.  Put this same grip on the 12.5" 6 ARC.

It's only awaiting a scope and mount, and it's a shooter. Probably gonna do the Athlon 1~4 scope, mil-dot.  Here's where it's at now.  It's so close, I think I need to finish it up, grab ammo, and get it running for the Spring Shoot.

IMG_0245.thumb.JPG.4ce9b75edcf5432bd551303c1b696c99.JPG

21 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Making more baby steps.  Complete gun now, minus optic.  Tossed a mil-spec trigger in, that I've been working on for years.  It's probably the most polished, tweaked mil-spec trigger in existence.  I don't hate it, but it's not a 2.5lb/4.5lb 2-stage.  But it works.  Picked up a B5 Systems Bravo stock and the B5 P23 grip for it, in coyote.  I've had a love affair with B5 Systems since they won the military contract over LMT for the SOPMOD stock.  LMT came up with it, under .mil contract, but LMT wanted $200 for it.  B5 re-won that contract, for a stock for $100. I've had that B5 SOPMOD stock on the original Mk12 Mod 0 since about 2010.  B5 rocks.  The B5 Bravo stock offers the same cheekweld as the SOPMOD, but without the storage (and additional pieces, and weight).  Badass stock.  Same with the P23 grip - same forward grip angle of a MagPul MOE K2.I dig it.  Put this same grip on the 12.5" 6 ARC.

It's only awaiting a scope and mount, and it's a shooter. Probably gonna do the Athlon 1~4 scope, mil-dot.  Here's where it's at now.  It's so close, I think I need to finish it up, grab ammo, and get it running for the Spring Shoot.

nice looking rig

• 11 months later...
On 3/13/2021 at 11:33 PM, 98Z5V said:

So, this gun has been done for almost a year now.  I looked for ammo - stupid move, unreal prices...  but it was available!  Because...  NOBODY shoots .358 Winchester...  :laffs:

I got pissed a few weeks ago and just (finally found and bought) GOT the reloading dies.  Nailed a Lee set, for $35, and that includes the Lee Factory Crimp Die  - BONUS, and killer price, including that $15 crimp die. 

When Kimmy was having her neck surgery a month ago, they wheeled her away from me around 9:30am.  She was going into pre-op, lasting 2+ hours, then they'd take her into surgery (3+ hours), then they'd get her into recovery (1+ hours), before I'd be able to get back to her...  I had time to kill...  

So, I called @JBMatt...   :popcorn:  "Hey, Fuqr, I know you're either working hard, or hardly working, and I'm right around the corner from you, time to spare, WTF are you doing?!"

Turns out he was between work runs, and was heading right up the highway from me to hit up Bruno's Shooters Supply...  Deal, it's a date.  We met at Bruno's, and lo and behold, they had some Hornady .358" 250gr SP-RP projectiles...  I bought a box, and decided to get this thing running...

That was a month ago, with Kimmy getting chopped up and bolted and welded that morning.  2 weeks ago was getting the dies on the way.

This last Sunday was Kimmy over here at the house, and I taught her some reloading basics - with .358 Win.   :thumbup::banana:

Now, we have our first 20 rounds to run through this gun, and finally make it get moving.  I thought the .338 Fed was fat.  This thing is FAT!... 

IMG_0762.thumb.JPG.ea7c5187b710680f7cdcfbba3d7d2a4f.JPG

Those are all first-formed brass, necked up from generic .308 Win brass, whatever-headstamp...  I wanted to make 20, so I got 20 ready, and split 2 cases.  Grabbed another 2, just to get my full mag of 20.  I'll revisit those 2 that split, and see what their headstamp was.  they really SPLIT when they went through the sizer die, with little pressure.  It took 3 or 4 passes to get the rest necked up, but those 2 weak bastards didn't have hardly any pressure on them, and just split.  Later story, on those 2. 

These 20 in the mag right now will look slightly different, after shooting, and fire-forming them to this chamber.  After that, I'll know how much the shoulder needs bumped, for future reloading on this...  

Edited by 98Z5V

I need an optic for this gun before Spring Shoot, so I'll raid something off another gun for that.  I'm looking, right now, but I can't find anything that I like that will work on this gun.  Swampfox Arrowhead 1~10 in mils is the most promising thing I can find right now, but I'm still looking.  Whatever it is, it'll have to be a mil scope, and I'll figure out the dope for it. 

32 minutes ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

I'm thinking at some point the thought " I wonder what this thing will do to a maurading beaver"  crossed your mind :lmao:

I'd REALLY LOVE to explode a swimming beaver head with that fatass .358 round, man, like you can't believe.  Hell, I'd like to crush one with the 45-70...   :bat::box1:

I went with Athlon for the optic, new, not raided from another gun.  I've been down that road, raiding optics and such.  It catches up with you...   :bitchslap:  I think it was about 2 years ago, that I had to buy 2 new scopes, 3 new mounts, and "shuffle back" all the damage I'd done by moving a total of 5 scopes and mounts around on different shiit.  Never again.

The ONLY mil option that Athlon has for a short scope is the Talos BTR in a 1~4 range.  That's alright, because as far as this 250gr round will travel, it might be easier throwing bricks at something instead. Everything in the 1~6 and 1~8 range that they offer is in MOA.  ALL the transexuals love them some MOA, but I just can't do it.  Mils or death, for me. 

I need to talk to Drake at Athlon, and get this fixed.  I think he'll get a phonecall after the shoot, just over mils, and short scopes...   He was here in town a couple weeks ago, AT THE DAMN GUNSHOP, whilst I was working my day job.  GunPusher John, dick that he is, calls me on speakerphone, and him and Drake are double-fucking me on the phone, laughing because I can't get there before Drake has to head out of town.  The fuckers.  :thefinger:  He's lucky I couldn't leave work right then...  :laffs:

On the 12.5" 6 ARC gun, I did the Athlon 20 MOA mount as a placeholder, until my 8-month backordered LaRue mount came in - and I really like the Athlon mount.  So I left it on that gun.  At any rate, the Athlon mounts are legit, and I did a 0 MOA Athlon mount with this scope for this gun - and it's gonna work.  So, there's the details on the scope and mount that I went with - without falling down that rabbit-hole of raiding more scopes.  This was, we all get to shoot the 16" .308 Win Carbine against the 16" .338 Fed Carbine against the 16" .358 Win Carbine - at the same time, without raiding optics.  Heads-up.  All 3.  :thumbup:

Here's the Athlon scope I went with:

https://athlonoptics.com/product/rifle-scopes-talos-btr-1-4x24-ahsr14-sfp-ir-mil/

215025-Talos-BTR-1-4%C3%9724-AHSR14-SFP-

Edited by 98Z5V

• 1 month later...

So, update.  I did shoot this mean bitch - and it is NASTY.   This thing kicks like a psychotic mule, holy fuk.  I loaded 20 rounds to take out there and test function - Oh, it functions...  Damn near pierced every primer that was shot.  Time to down-load that initial load, and work back up.  Holy hell, this thing is mean.  As it is right now, it can :thefinger: