• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

98's .358 Winchester AR

98Z5V

Initial big parts ordered tonight.  Some of the parts that I won't be able to get in the future.  I thought the .338 Fed AR was a big-bore, but this one is gonna be fun. 

@dpete, do you have .358 Win brass in your inventory?  If so, please list those as "taken"   :laffs: - or I'll make brass for them... 

Thus begins the journey, men...  If I can get this done in some form of a "timely manner", then the only other caliber that I'll need to collect on the .308 Win parent-case will be the 7mm-08 gun. 

.243 Win - got it, in bolt.

.260 Rem - that bitch is my go-to.

.308 Win - too many to count.

.338 Fed - that this is serious, and recoils less than my comparable .308AR.

.358 Win - we're doing that right now, brothers... Gonna be a 16" barrel, too.

My missing link will be a 7mm-08 AR, in the future, and I'll probably do that in an 18" barrel.  Just to fornicate with the 7mm-08 guys that say you need a long barrel...  :thumbup:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry man!  I'm not sure if I've ever seen any 358 Win.

It seems you might have further to go than you think to get all of them based on a 308 case.  I just found this.

308_Take_offs_with_text.JPG.b409e3214328ccd5d4e72d6f73d5153f.JPG

That 25 super and 270/308 look kinda interesting.

Edited by dpete

6 hours ago, dpete said:

Ok I lied (Fuqued up).  I have 11  358 Fed cases, and they are officially added to your list. 

3 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Indeed - TOTAL Dick Move there...    Thanks, Dion - that quarter-bore looks promising in the future, not that I think about it...   :thefinger:

Yeah but without the dick move he can only count to 10 not 11 :lmao:

25 minutes ago, DNP said:

Just looking to mark “spoken for” on another couple of lines.

He’s a hell of a brass pusher and a top level instigator. I’m glad we have him around. 

He's the very reason I'll never be able to load all the brass that I've accumulated...   :laffs::thefinger:

• 4 weeks later...

So, balancing priorities here - when I owe Pete for brass, and just committed to buying more .308 brass in another thread...

These parts were inbound, and I didn't want you guys thinking I was sitting on my ass here.

AP M5 upper receiver, ToolCraft .308 Win nitrided BCG, Wilson Combat Accu-Tac muzzle device, and the right WC gas tube for this 16" barrel.  Obviously, no barrel yet, but I've never seen this particular barrel sold-out, ever.  No worry on it, even though it's next up on the list - once I pay my brass-pimps.   :laffs:

The WC 12" .308-DPMS handguard dream died out - even though I had emails from CS that said they'd do it.  Didn't happen.  I received a 10" TRIM Rail even after all the discussions back and forth that they'd combine an Armalite 12" TRIM Rail with the DPMS barrel nut.  Nope.  Got a 10".  Noticed right away, too, that the Armalite 12" disappeared from their website, as soon as I received that 10" rail.  Hmmm...   Whatever. 

But this will still work, so fuk it. 

Here's the upper, 10" TRIM Rail, WC Intermediate gas tube in the right position, and the WC muzzle device where it should be - just imagine a barrel there...   :lmao:

I'm gettin' there, and it's only a few parts from a complete upper receiver.  After that - we start on the lower setup.

IMG_0030.thumb.JPG.e731e9749899231b5f841be4eadd8123.JPG

The WC Accu-Tac reminds me of the AAC Blackout FH, or a BE Meyers muzzle device.  No doubt, it'll work.

IMG_0031.thumb.JPG.3f18dee1a95677b49b3e46e64c4be9dd.JPG

IMG_0033.thumb.JPG.6f7ef76efdf00a072c0fc088a6a62a8a.JPG

Edited by 98Z5V

On 12/13/2020 at 10:48 PM, 98Z5V said:

The WC 12" .308-DPMS handguard dream died out - even though I had emails from CS that said they'd do it.  Didn't happen.  I received a 10" TRIM Rail even after all the discussions back and forth that they'd combine an Armalite 12" TRIM Rail with the DPMS barrel nut.  Nope.  Got a 10".  Noticed right away, too, that the Armalite 12" disappeared from their website, as soon as I received that 10" rail.  Hmmm...   Whatever. 

But this will still work, so fuk it. 

@98Z5V

Hey brother, I have the exact same handguard only it measures out at 12.75" I picked it up to use on Josh's Matrix build when Wilson was blowing them out for $89. He's got short arms and doesn't need that long of a handguard!:lmao:

You wanna swap?

Edited by 392heminut

• 2 weeks later...

So, barrel was supposed to get here today on the Big Brown Truck, according to tracking before I went to bed last night...  Checked tracking this morning - must be the holidays or something.  It'll NOW get here next Tuesday, 29 Dec.  I'm over it.  Right now, it's just an upper receiver, complete.  Gun Pusher John DID come through, and secured me an Aero M5 stripped lower, though.  We're going places, men.   :thumbup:

Just, in baby steps...   :laffs:

12 hours ago, bubbas4570 said:

Patience, 98.  Patience.

The caliber is worth it.  😎

Oh, Hell Yeah, man!   Shoot, I don't have any brass or ammo yet, no dies yet, no projectiles yet.  Figured that the .358 pills would be easy to find on local shelves...   :laffs:  Hell, if they ever carried them, they're gone now!   I'll get to it one day.  I'll have the important stuff on-hand before Sleepy Joe starts up his bullshiit.  Lower plus a complete upper.  :thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...

More Baby-Steps...     Getting closer...

IMG_0084.thumb.JPG.61cac8ce7a045926eff60f2de0c84465.JPG

That Wilson Combat 10" rail is gonna work perfectly on the 16" barrel, and that Wilson Intermediate Length gas system.  It just flows...  :thumbup:

If I add a trigger and a stock, it's shoot-able - into a hill, with no sights on it.  But ready to fire.  It's getting closer, brothers.  Baby Steps...   :laffs:

36 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

More Baby-Steps...     Getting closer...

IMG_0084.thumb.JPG.61cac8ce7a045926eff60f2de0c84465.JPG

That Wilson Combat 10" rail is gonna work perfectly on the 16" barrel, and that Wilson Intermediate Length gas system.  It just flows...  :thumbup:

If I add a trigger and a stock, it's shoot-able - into a hill, with no sights on it.  But ready to fire.  It's getting closer, brothers.  Baby Steps...   :laffs:

Are you going to owe doc another trigger???

19 hours ago, shooterrex said:

Are you going to owe doc another trigger???

Nope, no way.  I'm not using the FOURTH trigger for Doc in another gun build. 

19 hours ago, shooterrex said:

I have a couple of mbt's in the parts bin if LaRue is out.

I'll pick up a couple of them this time, and another scope mount, and a red dot mount, and a mount for an ACOG...   I've got a growing list of their stuff that I need... 

46 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Nope, no way.  I'm not using the FOURTH trigger for Doc in another gun build. 

I'll pick up a couple of them this time, and another scope mount, and a red dot mount, and a mount for an ACOG...   I've got a growing list of their stuff that I need... 

You might as well use it until the next one shows up. :lmao:

I'll pick mine up the next time I am out there.