• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

6mm ARC is Legit, men...

98Z5V

• 11 months later...

Just saw this, so it's an update on the ARC...   Wilson Combat is now making a 6 ARC 18" barrel, midlength gas.  It's currently out of stock, and I've never seen anything about it before on the WC site.  I was trolling for 7mm-08 barrels.  I don't know how it will be, but I know it'll be damn accurate.  All my WC barrels just shoot lights-out.  Another option, down the road, if you're thinking about dipping your toe into the ARC-pond.  :thumbup:

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/BARREL-6MM-ARC-TACTICAL-HUNTER-18-FLUTED-STAINLESS-GLASS-BEAD-1-75/productinfo/TR-6ATHMG18FT7.5/

TR-6ATHMG18FT7.5_1RSS.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V

• 4 months later...

Here's another 6 ARC success story, men.  When info on this thig dropped on 3 June 2020, it wasn't supposed to - that was accidental.  This was all a SOF-developed thing, and had been going on for a couple years prior - and the "public release" wasn't supposed to...  

Yeah, well.  Fuk it...   :laffs:

So, here's a good story on why this went where it went, and why.  We knew SOF was behind it, but now that's been narrowed down, and it's SEALs behind it (not a shocker).  They're still mad that it was 5th SFG(A) that came up with the Mk12 (the "original SPR") in the first place...  :lmao:

Cool article, and WAY BADASS GUN!...

https://www.recoilweb.com/water-dragon-grey-ghost-6arc-drac-174693.html

• 1 year later...

Here's the latest industry-opinion on the position of 6 ARC.  The article does a great job of explaining everything that went on, is going on, and where 6 ARC is now.  I think it's here to stay - at least it is for me.  I'm rolling a badass full-on LaRue Mk12 18" version, another LaRue 16" upper version, and a 12.5" shorty.  I'm keeping it, no matter what.  I've seen how it does.

Here's the opinion of Recoil Mag on where it's at now...

https://www.recoilweb.com/6mm-arc-ballistics-review-179189.html

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Magwa said:

ok i have to ask why not a 6GT or a 6 dasher or a 6 284...seems to be a great new cartridge but seems a lot of expense for a niche type gun? ok school me...

SAAMI Certification.  That standardized the cartridge, so theoretically, any ammo manufacturer can make ammo for it, and any barrel maker can cut chambers for it. 

The only thing different on it, from any old AR15 platform is the barrel, bolt, and magazines.  With a barrel, bolt and mags, you can turn your old 5.56 AR15 in the back of the safe into something that will run 1k yards, easy. 

Edited by 98Z5V

10 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

6 GT and 6 x 284 are large frames, if we're talking about gas guns.  6 Dasher is a wildcat, non-SAAMI. 

So, SAAMI spec'd small frame AR.  6 ARC. 

ok got it so the 6 Arc is a small frame wow ok then i will have to build one there is a huge weight difference between large fram and small and to have a small frame that does 1k is pretty impressive...

14 hours ago, Magwa said:

ok got it so the 6 Arc is a small frame wow ok then i will have to build one there is a huge weight difference between large fram and small and to have a small frame that does 1k is pretty impressive...

Yeah, brother, that's the beauty in it.  Small frame gas gun.  Basically, a little .243 badass. 

12 hours ago, shooterrex said:

I like my 6 ARC but I have 3  6.5Grendels. The ARC shoots just a bit flatter. The Grendel has a lot more factory ammo available. If you handload it doesn't matter. Both do 1000 yds in a small frame.

^^^   Exactly what Rex said.  The 6 ARC is a little flatter shooting, a little faster, still carries energy to stupid distances, BUT...  Only Hornady is making the ammo for it right now.  Handload, no problem.  Roll your own.  I'm working on testing factory ammo against handloads this weekend, so I'll get more numbers in here afterwards, but on a 16" barrel, I'm 115 fps faster on my handloads, over the Hornady Match 108 ELD-M loaded ammo.  2508 fps factory, 2623 fps handload, same 108gr projectile, 16" LaRue upper. 

For Grendels, I've already taken the 12.5" Grendel to 850 yards, 123gr handloads, 10.6 mils of drop to 850, dial it, repeatable, every time.  The 6 ARC is a little flatter than that with the 108s...   Pretty damn impressive for a 12.5" gas gun (just the Grendel).