• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

6mm ARC is Legit, men...

98Z5V

Can't locate an online version right now, but grab the newest issue of RECOIL Magazine.  11.5" 6 ARC running head to head with a KAC M110...   For real...

Here's the cover to look for:

Recoil: Amazon.com: Magazines

Best quote from the whole article:

"This isn't a precision rifle capable of a combat role.  This is a combat rifle capable of precision."

Next best quote, and the wrap-up finish to the article:

"In every measure of capability, sans magazine capacity (which is being addressed as we type these words), the 6 ARC totally beats the pants off of everything available that fits within the confines of a standard AR-15 footprint. 900 yards before transonic with a short barrel? 5.56 eat your damned heart out."

1 minute ago, blue109 said:

Is commercial ammo available for us non-reloading folk? im seeing grendel and creedmore on the shelf at ACE hardware now and then. 

Hornady Match is available, but scarce right now.  That's the 108 ELD-M projectile. Hornady Black is also available, in a 105gr HPBT loading.  Again, scarce.  Right now, I don't know of any others that are loading this as factory ammo.  This is Hornady's baby, right here.

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/6mm-arc

https://www.milehighshooting.com/hornady-81608-6mm-arc-108-gr-eld-match-20-box/

Being that it comes from hornady, 6mm ARC will end up having ammunition from all major companies as long as we can get our ammunition production up. The way they promote their products, I would bet my tiny bank account that it will be as successful and widespread as the grendel is now. 

I have already decided this is the next rifle I am going to build. Someone let me know if you see any aero precision  m4e1 matching receivers in stock or a builders kit. I am thinking about going with a 16 inch barrel though.

9 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I have a sweet matched M4E1 set here, just sitting.

No, wait - that belongs to @Matt.Cross:banana:I can't sell it.   :laffs: 

Matt doesn’t need it. I have to get ready to fight the two largest counties in my state in a civil war. Lol. 

I have been waiting for them to come into stock on any website. Got like 8 set to notify me if they come in stock.

1 hour ago, COBrien said:

You know, my wife was asking me the other day about building her a "reach out and touch somebody" kind of rifle. While I was considering a 6 Creedmoor, maybe a 6 ARC would be a better bet at this point.

It'd be a good complement to my 6.8...😉

One of the reasons I plan on building a 6 ARC is for my wife to use deer hunting while I use my .260 rem. And maybe be my kids’ first hunting rifle.

14 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

*Looks at a green Hornady hat and swallows hard*

Yeah, I need to send you some stuff....

Nah, you don't need to brother - I don't care about that.  I care about that Hornady hat, though...  :thefinger::lmao:

10 hours ago, COBrien said:

You know, my wife was asking me the other day about building her a "reach out and touch somebody" kind of rifle. While I was considering a 6 Creedmoor, maybe a 6 ARC would be a better bet at this point.

It'd be a good complement to my 6.8...😉

6 Creed is gonna be a large-frame AR, brother - build the wifey a small-frame AR, and make it the ARC.  :thumbup:

10 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

Matt doesn’t need it. I have to get ready to fight the two largest counties in my state in a civil war. Lol. 

I have been waiting for them to come into stock on any website. Got like 8 set to notify me if they come in stock.

Keep an eye on these two places:

https://www.armorally.com/product-category/ar-parts/ar15/

https://www.schuylerarmsco.com/manufacturer.aero-precision-993

2 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Thanks brother. I have been keeping an eye one armorally but I forgot about schuyler arms. 

I have noticed armorally doesn’t have as good of deals as it used to. Might be taking advantage of the shortage and making an extra buck in things. Oh well, if they get them in stock, I will be happy. 

24 minutes ago, ARTrooper said:

Thanks brother. I have been keeping an eye one armorally but I forgot about schuyler arms. 

I have noticed armorally doesn’t have as good of deals as it used to. Might be taking advantage of the shortage and making an extra buck in things. Oh well, if they get them in stock, I will be happy. 

Everyone, distributors included, have been paying higher prices to get things in stock.  It's just coming full-circle.  Manufacturers are spacing out workers to "comply with COVID" - so they have less floor space to get their jobs done.  In turn, to counteract that, they're running more shifts, many companies running 24 hours a day now. 

JUST to make the same output...  For real.  3 times the work, just to put out the same product that they WERE doing in an 8-hour shift.  And, that costs money, to them.

All prices are up now, and it's not necessarily "gouging" - unless you're looking at some Cheaper Than Dirt BS.  Fuk CTD, in the neck.  Forever.

Prices are up, because labor is up - because you have to physically space out labor and run extra shifts now, just to keep up with NORMAL demand.  THEN, you have all the new gun buyers that never had a gun before, and want EVERYTHING.... Blame COVID, Blame Never-Gun Owners (until now, that they realize they NEED it), and Blame Sheep for it.  Cowards are running The Business Mandates/Rules now...   New Gun Owners are demanding a supply that this industry never could have kept up with, normally...

Keep in mind - for the past 4 years, gun prices have been DOWN...  Because SO MANY COMPANIES went all in, went huge on extended credit lines, and bought everything that they could - before the 2016 election.  You know, when Hittlery was gonna be Prez, and BAN everything.   Big companies and distributors went HUGE in credit lines, toget all they could before that election - so they could Cash Out afterwards with all their newly-acquired "Pre-Ban" goods...  And she DIDN'T win.  Then, they're stuck making monthly balloon payments on that huge credit line that they took - with all that inventory out-the-ass that they have...   and WE, as gun builders, have $40 stripped lower receivers...

Know why?  "Sell THIS ITEM off this month at a huge loss, just so we can make the payment at the end of this month - I hope we make it..."

We we lucky for 4 years - because big companies made the wrong bet in 2016, brother.  WE reaped the benefits of their HUGE extended credit, monthly payments...

Bigger Picture, man - you always have to look at the Bigger Picture.  If you don't or can't - then you're always stuck in the weeds, looking at what's 10 feet out.

Edited by 98Z5V

11 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

6 Creed is gonna be a large-frame AR, brother - build the wifey a small-frame AR, and make it the ARC.  :thumbup:

Oh, I know it's a large frame. SWMBO ain't petite, and she's not afraid of a big, heavy rifle. However, something smaller and lighter-weight is never a bad thing.

When you're talking about rifles, that is...

Edited by COBrien

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Went to my first Accurized AR Match in May, took the 18" SPR 6 ARC.  It did great for accuracy, and it put some serious THUMP on the plates, amongst a sea of 5.56 shooters there.  But, it was having feeding issues.  At least twice per 20-round stage, I'd have to rack the charging handle and feed a new round - the unfired round would always eject - it just didn't feed.  It always buried itself into the bottom of the barrel extension.  Same story, every single time.  All mags used were E-Lander 17-rd 6.5 Grendel mags, which have never, ever failed me in any one of the Grendel guns.

I fixed all that today. 

First thing I noticed was that the presentation of the rounds was low, and I mean LOW.  Like, they wanted to go straight forward out of the magazines, and wouldn't lift.  Step one and two were to change the feed lips and the follower, to present the rounds at a more upward angle.  I tweaked the front of the feed lips up 0.035" on each side, and made sure that the feed lips were straight and uniform, from front to rear.  Next was to blow the back of the follower down, on a consistent angle, so the back of the round sat deeper than the original follower allowed it to.

Here's the difference in the presentation of the rounds, looking forward into the mag - it's significant. Hornady Black 105gr HPBT on the left, stock mag.  Hornady Match 108gr ELD-M in the modded mag on the right.

IMG_0446.thumb.JPG.0fc7c7493ca4d3e420f9817ebe952dfa.JPG

IMG_0447.thumb.JPG.0354738c81a91a0a33671da4185760a8.JPG

IMG_0451.thumb.JPG.64b9527164743b97d05eceb043c0aa12.JPG

You can see how much more it's "nose-up" now.  Looks funky, but that mag on the right is the one with the Black 105s in it - they're so flat that you almost think it's a damn empty mag.

3rd thing I did was cut out a bend in the top of the mag body, that wants to keep these short little cases down, and not let them lift.  Now, as soon as they clear the feed lips, the rounds lift, and chamber.  Every time.

IMG_0448.thumb.JPG.ba015a998748cab74f12a7311bb5634b.JPG

IMG_0449.thumb.JPG.c5c5b2fd279b6b727661f27040ba25b7.JPG

IMG_0450.thumb.JPG.d84f7a78da57d68d3921c81fc035efad.JPG

Don't have a pic of the follower mod yet, or a measurement, but I'll get that info up tomorrow, with pics.  Here's the basic idea:

IMG_0452.thumb.JPG.4c4dd0bb0486057b6b5853e47a33b024.JPG

100% functional feeding now, zero hiccups. 

I got the idea for blowing the side lips out of the mag body from studying the pics of the ASC 15-rd 6 ARC mags.

https://www.ammosc.com/15-rd-6mm-arc-stainless-steel-magazine

1576479927_ASC6ARCmag.thumb.jpg.c47576aa034725029825bf45b8a30d05.jpg

Found comparison pic to the ASC Grendel mags online...  Look closely at the mag body sides...

YgpRiw.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V

13 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Went to my first Accurized AR Match in May, took the 18" SPR 6 ARC.  It did great for accuracy, and it put some serious THUMP on the plates, amongst a sea of 5.56 shooters there.  But, it was having feeding issues.  At least twice per 20-round stage, I'd have to rack the charging handle and feed a new round - the unfired round would always eject - it just didn't feed.  It always buried itself into the bottom of the barrel extension.  Same story, every single time.  All mags used were E-Lander 17-rd 6.5 Grendel mags, which have never, ever failed me in any one of the Grendel guns.

I fixed all that today. 

First thing I noticed was that the presentation of the rounds was low, and I mean LOW.  Like, they wanted to go straight forward out of the magazines, and wouldn't lift.  Step one and two were to change the feed lips and the follower, to present the rounds at a more upward angle.  I tweaked the front of the feed lips up 0.035" on each side, and made sure that the feed lips were straight and uniform, from front to rear.  Next was to blow the back of the follower down, on a consistent angle, so the back of the round sat deeper than the original follower allowed it to.

Here's the difference in the presentation of the rounds, looking forward into the mag - it's significant. Hornady Black 105gr HPBT on the left, stock mag.  Hornady Match 108gr ELD-M in the modded mag on the right.

You can see how much more it's "nose-up" now.  Looks funky, but that mag on the right is the one with the Black 105s in it - they're so flat that you almost think it's a damn empty mag.

3rd thing I did was cut out a bend in the top of the mag body, that wants to keep these short little cases down, and not let them lift.  Now, as soon as they clear the feed lips, the rounds lift, and chamber.  Every time.

Don't have a pic of the follower mod yet, or a measurement, but I'll get that info up tomorrow, with pics.  Here's the basic idea:

Great job on the fix! Very noticeable difference between the angle the ammo sat in the stock mag compared to your modified mag

• 1 month later...
On 7/4/2021 at 11:42 PM, 98Z5V said:

I fixed all that today. 

I got the idea for blowing the side lips out of the mag body from studying the pics of the ASC 15-rd 6 ARC mags.

https://www.ammosc.com/15-rd-6mm-arc-stainless-steel-magazine

1576479927_ASC6ARCmag.thumb.jpg.c47576aa034725029825bf45b8a30d05.jpg

Found comparison pic to the ASC Grendel mags online...  Look closely at the mag body sides...

YgpRiw.jpg

Have you tried these AR Stoner 6mm ARC mags? They look like they are the same as the ASC mags. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022882067?pid=448254

9 hours ago, HammerDown said:

Have you tried these AR Stoner 6mm ARC mags? They look like they are the same as the ASC mags. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022882067?pid=448254

I have not, yet.  I haven't even tried the ACSs, but will this Sunday.  The only mags that have been in my ARC are the E-Lander 17-rd Grendel mags, so far.