• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

SWFA/Bobro scope mount review

98Z5V

First, I must say that this mount looks like it's a special from Bobro Engineering, for SWFA (http://swfa.com/SWFA-Precision-Optic-30mm-Mount-P48134.aspx).  The offset of this mount is between the Bobro Precision Optic Mount (http://www.bobroengineering.com/view/product/7/) and the Bobro Precision Optic Mount - Extended (http://www.bobroengineering.com/view/product/8/).

On my 20" 5.56 precision rifle, I was using a set of Burris X-treme high rings on a Bushnell 3-9x40 scope.  I liked the rings, but I was looking for a one-piece mount with a QD capability.  I found this mount for a screaming deal here in the For Sale section, so I grabbed it up.  Once it arrived, I was ready to mount it up, and realized that I forgot that my scope was a 1" tube - and I bought a 30mm mount.  I ordered a set of Trijicon 30mm-1" adapter spacers from DSG Arms, and mounted everything up once they arrived. 

Now, the most important thing I'd like to mention about this mount is the ingenuity of the clamp - Andrew Bobro is a wizard for coming up with this.  His locking/securing mechanism is simply pure genius.  The camming lever moves the locking bar in, towards the rail, but the device is spring-loaded to the locking bar.  It will lock with the same tension onto just about every single rail out there, won't/can't come loose, and it'll most definitely accomodate a rail that is machined slightly out of spec.  His name for it is the "BLAC Mount," and here's the run-down on his design specifications for it:

Design Features

*The Precision Optic Mount features patent pending BLAC™ lever system which was designed around the following parameters:

*Must be compatible with any 1913 Specification Rail, to include systems that are out of specification (within reason) and this includes Weaver rails.

*Must be completely tool and user adjustable free. It needs to be 100% self contained and mate securely to any rail without the user having to tailor the pressure/engagement position.

*Must lock with enough pressure to positively attach any device or optical instrument to a rail without movement, static or dynamic forces not withstanding.

*The rail must not experience any deformation due to user error. This must include synthetic (plastic/polymer/composite) rail systems.

*Auto Index capability. The device must also index parallel to the bore. The unit must always repeat the forward shift (recoil forces direction of influence) not only to maximize zero repeatability, but to take this step of installation out of the users initial mounting sequence. Index must be redundant.

*Unit must not shoot loose due to improper mounting or a mechanical bottoming out.

*The system must incorprate a safety that prevents the lever from being accidentally opened. The safety must be able to be manipulated in conjunction with the lever rotation, so that only one hand is required to open it.

*The unit will utilize constant force to ensure required pressure in all conditions. *The force must be substantial to prevent any shift forward/aft left/right.

*The pressure must be applied in a linear direction centered in the main body to prevent cocking of the mount.

*It must be easy to manipulate by gloved or fatigued hands.

*It must be extremely robust, and withstand shock and impact to the system housing.

*There were others, but by listing them we would compromise our trade secrets.

Now, to the pics.  First shows the primary index bar onto the Pic rail sections, but you'll also see a large roll pin in there - that's the second index point, which further "enhances" the stability of the mount on the rail - with one, you can probably repeat your zero once you remove and reinstall the mount.  With two, it's more probable that it's going to remount exactly the same, without shift of zero.  Also, in this pic, the lever is fully open, and you can see the locking bar "wide open."

100_0119.jpg

In this pic, I'm starting to close the locking lever - you can see the locking bar moving inward, camming in, but you can also see two heavy duty spring coils in there...

100_0120.jpg

Now, once you're getting close to the "locked" position, you can see how this device cams in, compresses those two springs, and exerts the force on the locking bar - completely secured to your rail.

100_0121.jpg

All the hardware on this mount is pure quality - there are no cheap fasteners anywhere on there.  You don't mount the rings together with allen bolts, either. The upper part of the rings have studs in them, and you secure the ring halves together with allen "nuts," through the bottom rings.  The ring bottoms are actually bolted to the base, and that is in turn bolted to the mounting device.  Completely modular, brilliant from a manufacturing standpoint, and solid.

Here are some other pics of it all mounted up:

100_0108.jpg

Good clearance between my scope, and the MagPul Gen 2 rear MBUS - there is a pretty good airgap there, even though it's hard to see in the pic.  I doubt a Gen 1 MBUS would clear, even though this mount is the exact height-over-bore as the Burris Xtreme high rings:

100_0113.jpg

100_0109.jpg

100_0116.jpg

100_0122.jpg

100_0124.jpg

I'll shoot it tomorrow (Sunday) to either re-zero, or check my zero - the scope is mounted in the exact same eye-relief position as before, so the shift should be very minimal.  <thumbsup>

you have some cool toys!

Thanks, man.  ;D 

I'm very pleased to report that, somehow, I didn't need to adjust a single thing.  I did make some careful measurements of the scope position before I removed it and locked it into the new mount, here.  It's in the exact same position as before.  It was still dead-on at 100, and performed exactly the same out to 550.  No problem.  One thing I did get to do, that I never wanted to do previously, was just take it off and shoot the back up sights.  They've got a 200-yard zero on them, and shooting them was actually fun again...  <thumbsup> <laughs>

• 2 months later...

One thing I did get to do, that I never wanted to do previously, was just take it off and shoot the back up sights.  They've got a 200-yard zero on them, and shooting them was actually fun again...  <thumbsup> <laughs>

This, right here, actually led down the (short) road to another build - iron sights on a 20" rifle build, but a little different - basically, a National Match 20" rifle, but wood furniture.  It turned out SWEET!  <thumbsup>

http://308ar.com/forum/black-rifles/re-swfabobro-scope-mount-review/

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Don't be on the fence about this one - if you can find a Bobro, you will not be disappointed.  Not in the least.

No kidding.  There are superior to ADM and LaRue.  Not that those are bad, but Bobro and GDI are in a different category.  You won't regret buying good mounts. Scopes come and go, but good mounts hang around forever.  

Edited by StainTrain

I agree I'm on the fence about a mount

Based on your other thread, I would say GDI is overkill (and over budget) for what you described your use to be.  So as 98Z5V stated you will not be disappointed with the performance to cost ratio going with Bobro.  Additionally they mount/clamp top to bottom not side to side like LaRue and ADM, which IMO opinion is superior. 

Edited by StainTrain

I like GGG stuff alot....but id spend the $60 extra for a bobro every time. if you don't have the extra $60, don't eat lunch for the next 2 Weeks and buy it then. (that's how I make most of my upgrades, sometimes extending to skipped breakfasts as well :P )

Edited by blue109

Take a look at the pics of the mount on mine - that's a Bushnell 3-9x40 on the AR-15 setup.  That's about perfect, for me.

The base on the one you posted is the exact same base as the one on mine.  If you can get that mount far enough forward on your upper receiver, and get your scope in it - with enough forward distance to give you proper eye relief, then you're good to go.  <thumbsup>

From looking at both closely, you can make that one work.  There's enough space on the receiver that you can go forward with the mount (on the receiver) if necessary.  That one you linked is good to go. 

Edited by 98Z5V