• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Looking to buy first AR-10

natchomamma

55 minutes ago, natchomamma said:

Not sure what to get. Would be happy with a gun that shoots 1 MOA and right now I'm steering toward the DD5V4.  Am I overpaying for the DD name?

This is what I'm thinking:

Daniel Defense DD5V4 in 308 18"

M&P 10 18"

PSA AR10 18"

Not even a little bit.  Daniel Defense is a very big contractor to the US SOF.  Rails. Smith & Wesson can't say that they provide any guns to the military, and PSA DAMN SURE CAN'T SAY that they provide ANYTHING to the military.  I've shot the DD .308 guns  on the range, and they are everything that they say they are.  You won't "Fuk up" by buying one.

No real info on M&P 10s, as stated before. Is that good or bad? No idea.

Do not buy a PSA .308 gun.  You WILL put in work, to get it to run right.  All the people that think they're getting a "cheap .308AR with a LifeTime Guarantee" soon find out that it takes some work, and some money, to get those cheapass guns running like they should have run, right out of that factory.  There's a reason behind the cost of those guns, and that's because they don't spend the money on what it takes to make it run right, from the get-go.  They undersize gas ports to restrict gas flow, so they can use a weaker recoil system with a weak spring, and use a buffer that's lighter than what's necessary - because making a heavier buffer would involve Tungsten weights, which cost $$ more.  Cheap gun, for most people, with whatever ammo, and might work most of the time.  Sometimes. We fix alot of them here...

Stay away from the PSA.  Buy the DD, on your original impulse.  Great gun.

There's my $0.02 on the whole affair.

EDIT - at any time, anyone from PSA can come in here and tell me where I'm wrong.  I'll welcome that feedback, directly from the company...  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

8 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Not even a little bit.  Daniel Defense is a very big contractor to the US SOF.  Rails. Smith & Wesson can't say that they provide any guns to the military, and PSA DAMN SURE CAN'T SAY that they provide ANYTHING to the military.  I've shot the DD .308 guns  on the range, and they are everything that they say they are.  You won't "Fuk up" by buying one.

No real info on M&P 10s, as stated before. Is that good or bad? No idea.

Do not buy a PSA .308 gun.  You WILL put in work, to get it to run right.  All the people that think they're getting a "cheap .308AR with a LifeTime Guarantee" soon find out that it takes some work, and some money, to get those cheapass guns running like they should have run, right out of that factory.  There's a reason behind the cost of those guns, and that's because they don't spend the money on what it takes to make it run right, from the get-go.  They undersize gas ports to restrict gas flow, so they can use a weaker recoil system with a weak spring, and use a buffer that's lighter than what's necessary - because making a heavier buffer would involve Tungsten weights, which cost $$ more.  Cheap gun, for most people, with whatever ammo, and might work most of the time.  Sometimes. We fix alot of them here...

Stay away from the PSA.  Buy the DD, on your original impulse.  Great gun.

There's my $0.02 on the whole affair.

Hell, 98Zeman, don't beat around the bush, just tell us what you really think!

1 minute ago, mrmackc said:

Hell, 98Zeman, don't beat around the bush, just tell us what you really think!

Well, alright.  PSA FUCKIN' SUCKS.  I'd buy ANY CMMG parts before I'd buy any PSA Large Frame Garbage.

I hope that was direct enough.  :thumbup:

Pretty much what has been said here so far is spot on. 

I don't own any DD 308 AR's. But I do own a couple of their small framed versions. And many members around here can tell you that I don't baby my equipment. In fact, I pretty much pound on my MK18 just because I know that it can take it, and that it was designed to be used in such a way.

Daniels makes nothing but quality. Do they cost more? Yes. Are they worth it? In my little lizard brain.......yes. 

Now that being said. I don't own any of their large frame (308) rifles. But, having handled them, they're right in line with their small framed cousins.

I wouldn't mind having one in my gun box. And I'm the Armalite guy. :laffs:

12 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Well, alright.  PSA FUCKIN' SUCKS.  I'd buy ANY CMMG parts before I'd buy any PSA Large Frame Garbage.

I hope that was direct enough.  :thumbup:

Okay could you say that a bit slower and louder, I am old , dumb and hard of hearing....and thanks!

👍