• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Flashhider bore size query

bubbas4570

If I have an A2 flash hider that will pass a 25/64 drill bit, will this be enough for a .358 Win barrel?  If not, what will be the correct size to allow the flash hider to NOT self destruct upon firing?

I figured there will be someone here who knows way more than I do about these tolerance/clearance measurements.

You'll be fine, brother.  I've drilled them less than that to pass weird calibers.  I drilled my .308 Win brake to clear my .338 Fed, with less than 0.030" clearance, and it's never been a problem.  And the .358 Win is a .358" projectile. 

Thanks 98.

My question was predicated on this:  the flashhider was originally on a 308AR.  I was wondering about how much passing measurement needed due to the large amount with the .308 bore.

I knew a .358 bullet would pass by hand with a fair amount of "rattle room", but I wanted to ensure safe passage without damage.

On 2/8/2021 at 12:34 PM, bubbas4570 said:

Thanks 98.

My question was predicated on this:  the flashhider was originally on a 308AR.  I was wondering about how much passing measurement needed due to the large amount with the .308 bore.

I knew a .358 bullet would pass by hand with a fair amount of "rattle room", but I wanted to ensure safe passage without damage.

I figure with that kind of clearance the bullet will fly thru so fast the flashhider won't have time to fornicate up!

I had thought the clearance was excessive for the 308, but with that much on the factory part, I wasn't sure what was needed for the .358 to pass.  I figured it was going to work, as silencers work in this area of clearance measurements (and even tighter I assumed).....but wanted to ask people who know much more than I.

I bought an expensive 5.56 Match A2 flash suppressor from a great company a few years ago, to put on the Woody - which is a complete 5.56 National Match-built gun - just with wood furniture.  When that expensive NM A2 flash suppressor came in, I was all about measuring it, spec'ing it, finding out what made it "National Match..."  The bore size in it, compared to a regular old A2, was another 0.020" bigger.  I dropped the bucks, and I could have done that with a reamer, myself.  But, I didn't know that, THEN...   :thumbup:

You'll be fine, brother - clear the projectile, and just run with scissors...   :banana:

1 hour ago, MikedaddyH said:

Loctite is too easy, we need a challenge !

I got one of these for my 182 series Mini 14 . It has a slot for the original front sight and a longer roll pin, and i drilled and tapped he bottom below the slot for two 6-32 set screws. I would do the set screws for a LR308 aftermarket device also., maybe dimple the barrel a dab before using a High temp adhesive product . the cleaning rod and a 0.224 drill bit slides in and out with some wiggle room.

enlarged product image

Edited by mrmackc

On 2/11/2021 at 11:44 PM, bubbas4570 said:

Hell those old Mini brakes could damn near clear a 45 caliber something or other......:hornet:

Well not this one the OD of the barrel at the muzzle is just a bit over.5. the flash holder has a reduced opening at the muzzle.

Edited by mrmackc

Ah, they must have changed their design flashhider then, the old ones were a slip fit over the barrel and basically a straight tube all the way through.....

And I was almost joking about what it passed.....I just know the hole was pretty big, considering how brakes are "fitted"  to the bore sizes better now days...