• Visit Sportsmans Guide

270 WSM

MikedaddyH

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, MikedaddyH said:

Finished the 556Sig build Wednesday morning. Blue anodized parts and plastic receiver. Built it for around $550.

We're shooting Sunday morning, if you want to come out.   :thumbup:  I might head out there Saturday night and tent-camp it. 

52 minutes ago, MikedaddyH said:

There were two other threads to look at:

Kyle Busch Gun (270WSM) and 300WSM (Kasey Kane build).

I am really interested. And I think with what kak industries offers, a .270 wsm could be a lot less problematic than it was for you like 10 years ago. 

where did you get your barrel from? Can I see pictures please? I am seriously considering this. 

14 hours ago, MikedaddyH said:

Damn you Fu¢kers, you CPR'ed this thread from the Grave !  

Ok first off ... 308 BCG , bolt enlarged to WSM size. Extractor modified . One very important fact ... The cartridge must be shortened to fit a 308 mags, factory ammo will not fit mags. The 270WSM has a substantial recoil. Also follower for the mags must be modified.

That's it.... Mine resides in a safe. Fixed the ejection timing issues and the hard recoiling by adjusting the gases. But it's a duct tape over a maxipad kind of gun . 

I see what you mean about factory ammo won’t fit the mags. My mags fit 2.82” but that would be with the tips touching and oal for .270 wsm is listed at 2.86”

That freaking blows. I wouldn’t want to shorten anything

2 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

I see what you mean about factory ammo won’t fit the mags. My mags fit 2.82” but that would be with the tips touching and oal for .270 wsm is listed at 2.86”

That freaking blows. I wouldn’t want to shorten anything

Had to develop loads !!! 

2 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

I am really interested. And I think with what kak industries offers, a .270 wsm could be a lot less problematic than it was for you like 10 years ago. 

where did you get your barrel from? Can I see pictures please? I am seriously considering this. 

Photos are on an old phone. SOL ! 

Check the other threads for pics. I had pics on the dining room table of one of the WSM AR's. Rifles are in the Safe and I will not be able to get to them today !!!!!

The 300wsm AR works great. Has I bit of recoil but I tuned it in. Played with the gas and buffer weights. Dialed in a good load , not so bad. The HOT load hurt my shoulder and I have hit plates at 850 so it is fairly accurate.

59 minutes ago, MikedaddyH said:

Photos are on an old phone. SOL ! 

Check the other threads for pics. I had pics on the dining room table of one of the WSM AR's. Rifles are in the Safe and I will not be able to get to them today !!!!!

The 300wsm AR works great. Has I bit of recoil but I tuned it in. Played with the gas and buffer weights. Dialed in a good load , not so bad. The HOT load hurt my shoulder and I have hit plates at 850 so it is fairly accurate.

It sounds amazing. But having to shorten the cartridge might be a deal breaker for me. A lot of extra work with reloading and developing loads. Based on my measurements, the mag well could accommadate a very tight mag that could hold 2.86”. But I don’t know of any mag that can hold longer than 2.82”. Sad that four hundredths of an inch might kill a future build for me. I will talk to kak and see what they do because they sell them for 300 wsm which has the same col. 

9 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

It sounds amazing. But having to shorten the cartridge might be a deal breaker for me. A lot of extra work with reloading and developing loads. Based on my measurements, the mag well could accommadate a very tight mag that could hold 2.86”. But I don’t know of any mag that can hold longer than 2.82”. Sad that four hundredths of an inch might kill a future build for me. I will talk to kak and see what they do because they sell them for 300 wsm which has the same col. 

MagPul M118 LS/SR 25-rd mags can take up to 2.830", brother. The longest COL listed in the Hornady 10 Manual, for any of the listed projectile weights, is 2.785", and that's for the 150gr InterBond and 150gr SST. 

Edited by 98Z5V

7 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

MagPul M118 LS/SR 25-rd mags can take up to 2.830", brother. The longest COL listed in the Hornady 10 Manual, for any of the listed projectile weights, is 2.785", and that's for the 150gr InterBond and 150gr SST. 

Really? So you are saying the .270 wsm will fit without the cartridge being shortened?

16 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

Really? So you are saying the .270 wsm will fit without the cartridge being shortened?

That's what I'm seeing from all the listed load data.  I'll check my Barnes Manual, hold on...

The Barnes Number 4 Manual lists COL for .270 WSM as 2.560 min~2.860 max.  Not everything has to be loaded to 2.860".  Like I said, the Hornady 10 Manual doesn't list a single COL over 2.785".  Even the longest listed COL in the Barnes manual is 2.830", and that's only for the 130gr TSX-BT projectile.

Edited by 98Z5V

4 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

That's what I'm seeing from all the listed load data.  I'll check my Barnes Manual, hold on...

The Barnes Number 4 Manual lists COL for .270 WSM as 2.560 min~2.860 max.  Not everything has to be loaded to 2.860".  Like I said, the Hornady 10 Manual doesn't list a single COL over 2.785".  Even the longest listed COL in the Barnes manual is 2.830", and that's only for the 130gr TSX-BT projectile.

Just measured a  270wsm from a ammo box ... 2.778" 

Measured  300wsm ... 2.789"

Don't have a factory round handy.

• 4 months later...

It's been a long time since I've been on this forum, but I'm resurrecting this thread again lol. I've had one of the DPMS Saums for about 10 years I think. It runs great, but has the normal size firing pin instead of the hp pin so with bullets heavier than 168 grains I can get pierced primers. Not a big issue for me, I just don't shoot the heavies. Actually I just finished off a box of 50 that I loaded in 2013, so I don't shoot it much at all lol. But it shoots outstanding, 168 amax with h4350 averages 2850 fps and groups 1.5" at 200 yds so I can live with that. You feel it go off but it's not punishing at all imo. It's actually a heck of a lot of fun to shoot but a bit heavy for hunting.

20" barrel, and I think they kept it short to keep the gas under control, it was probably developed before the +2 gas systems came along.  I have the magazine issue figured out, I wasn't happy with the factory solution so I designed my own. Think of 5.56 mag walls  inside a 308 mag body, creating a single stack 6 round mag. Works flawlessly.

The biggest issue I can see is extractors, as in breaking them. I broke one 8 or 9 years ago, and DPMS initially told me "sorry Charlie" but then found one and sent it to me. Now it could be an issue if another breaks. I was wondering if the one from Kak would work, or if I should just plan on modifying a 308 extractor. I do have a G2 extractor I could try, they're supposed to be a lot tougher.