• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

270 WSM

MikedaddyH

Hi,

Been working on this gun for a few months. Lower receiver done , bolt modified to WSM size and the bcg complete. I've modified a couple of followers in the magazines and can put 11 to 13 rounds in without problems. Just waiting for my barrel to be finished.

Just would like to find out if anyone has a working 270wsm or a 300wsm?  Hear of several AR WSM's but have not seen any.

Any information will be appreciated.

Mike H

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike,

I'm very intersted in the other chamberings that are physically practical in the large platform AR's, not the one offs that are being made in the really large calibers, but those that I could conceivably build myself (and afford to shoot). I have been led to believe that the largest cals feasible in the .308 AR receiver are the .338 Federal and the .338 RSM. Can you tell me what factors led you to choose the .270?  I've also been told that, as you mention, the mag issue is another big question when converting to one of these calibers. I'm thinking that it wouldn't be much fun to build one of these and not be able to get a mag that will function reliably with your chosen caliber.

One of my friends went with .260 when he ordered his bolt action bench rest gun. He told me that was because it was ballistically superior to the .308 for long range accuracy. How does the .270 stack up in that regard? I know nothing about it's range vs the .308 but am I correct in assuming that the .308, being larger cal has greater power out to it's max effective range?

The 6.5 has been used all over Europe as a long range and sniper gun.    The BC on the cal are really high, and that means more retained velocity at long range.

I am currently building my AR in .260 rem.

The snipers and really long range guys are going to the 338 and 50's because nothing beats mass  for penitration and killing power.

The problem with bc is the mfg has to have a reason to produce the bullet.

That hasn't happened with the 270.

Respectfully

Terry

The 27cal (.277) have a lot of good hunting projectiles and with the 6.8spc there are fragible and barrier penetrating bullets. A wide selection from 85gr to 170gr and above. I haven't seen any incendiary or tracer rounds in this caliber. But a small projectile going 3400 to 3700fps will do a lot of damage.

An example would be the Nosler Accubond 110gr going 2700fps and destroying 2ltr bottles at 300 yards.out of my 6.8.

Mike H

Besides my trusty .308 bolt rifle, I've hunted a lot with my .270 Win (not WSM) and .257 Roberts. I was very excited to see the 6.5 and 6.8 AR-15's come out. What upset me was their casing design, requiring new magazines and new bolts.

Shooting the 270 WSM in the larger format AR seems hot, but I'd be more inclined to shoot the .260 Rem or the .338 Fed instead. Simply because I'd have more compatible parts available to me.

The bolt face for the 270 WSM is considerably larger (@ .535) than the .308 version (@ .473). While the bullet may perform flawlessly, I think you may run into bolt stamina issues, especially with a short mag beating on it. I'm not saying a 270 WSM is a bad idea, I love it, I just wanted to point out where your more expensive replacement parts would be.

Besides my trusty .308 bolt rifle, I've hunted a lot with my .270 Win (not WSM) and .257 Roberts. I was very excited to see the 6.5 and 6.8 AR-15's come out. What upset me was their casing design, requiring new magazines and new bolts.

Shooting the 270 WSM in the larger format AR seems hot, but I'd be more inclined to shoot the .260 Rem or the .338 Fed instead. Simply because I'd have more compatible parts available to me.

The bolt face for the 270 WSM is considerably larger (@ .535) than the .308 version (@ .473). While the bullet may perform flawlessly, I think you may run into bolt stamina issues, especially with a short mag beating on it. I'm not saying a 270 WSM is a bad idea, I love it, I just wanted to point out where your more expensive replacement parts would be.

I agree , was told by a friend who makes ar lowers that the bolt may only last a 1000 rounds.

I had a 270 win back in the early 80's ,loved that gun had to sell it when i left WA.

Mike H

• 2 months later...

I shoot a .270WSM bolt gun, that is a lot of smash on a thinned out AR bolt head.  The .308Win is MUCH softer on the rifle.  Unless the bolt and barrel extension was designed from the CAD up to support the WSM case I would be concerned about the life of the "party".

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Magwa,

The Gun is finish it took over a year and half, had build problems, barrel issues. Chose the 270WSM because I liked the 27cal bullets that I reload for three calibers. I'm doing the break in and fine tuning the ejection of the brass. Couple more mags through it and it should be good.

The ballistics of the 270WSM with a light bullets(85gr.90gr) are close to 3900fps. Hunting loads with 150gr to 170gr bullets.  The magnum case allows me to use this as a 1000M gun. Just need to get another high end scope ,I got some cheap glass on it now it will have to do until I can afford better.

• 2 weeks later...

My wifes 270 win shoots a 130 grain old style nosler at 3003fps.  Between her and her  girlfriend, its accounted for 17 elk in the last 20 years.  Lost one the friend shot that was in a small herd, when it went over the fence onto private property ( Indian land, definatly NO TRESPASSING).

She has also taken 5 elk with her 375-06, which she is going to use this year.  As she said, she hasn't taken anything with it in a few years..LOL!!!!!!

Respectfully

Terry

• 8 years later...

Found this thread and I am reviving it if possible because I was thinking how awesome it would be to to build a 308ar chambered in 270 WSM.

@MikedaddyH did you have any feeding, extracting, or other issues? Tell me more about this build.

I think it would make a great mule deer, elk, and 1k+ yard target gun. And Kak is making bolt parts for these Winchester short magnums.

Kakindustry.com/magnum/kak-industry-big-mag

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 4:00 PM, ARTrooper said:

Found this thread and I am reviving it if possible because I was thinking how awesome it would be to to build a 308ar chambered in 270 WSM.

@MikedaddyH did you have any feeding, extracting, or other issues? Tell me more about this build.

I think it would make a great mule deer, elk, and 1k+ yard target gun. And Kak is making bolt parts for these Winchester short magnums.

Kakindustry.com/magnum/kak-industry-big-mag

I hear ya, my poor little 1951 FN, (later to become the Browning Safari, yes she's damn gorgeous), 270 Winchester embarrassed poor little Miss Wilson at the range last week, Miss Wilson was so mad, LOL! she ripped of 20 rounds and said, I betcha can't do that!

Just a reminder to some who may be reading this thread. This post is about chambering in .270 Winchester Short Magnum. 

A regular .270 Winchester, while it is an amazing round and really popular, uses a 30-06 Springfield case necked down. This setup makes it to long for a short action such as a 308ar platform. It needs a standard/long action platform which very few companies produce an AR in, Nemo arms being one of the few.

The .270 WSM however uses a faster case necked down with a steeper shoulder. The fatter case allows it to be shorter and fit into a short action like a 308ar while still having the powder capacity to give it similar performance to the longer and skinnier .270 Winchester. 

This fatter case and steeper shoulder angle are said to make it feed less reliably, although that has been proven false in other calibers before. Think 6.5 Grendel chambered for an AR15, just on a larger scale. 

Hopefully we can get to the truth of chambering this awesome, flat shooting caliber (but somewhat expensive ammunition), in a fun rifle like a 308ar. I can’t think of a better performer out of the rifles we all love here.

41 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I can - it's called ".260 Remington..."   :banana:

You know I love the .260 also. And it is better for reloading, expense wise, and recoil. But .270 WSM ballistically would be like putting on a cheat code in a video game. Plus would be better for long range shots on game such as elk.  

Just now, ARTrooper said:

You know I love the .260 also. And it is better for reloading, expense wise, and recoil. But .270 WSM ballistically would be like putting on a cheat code in a video game. Plus would be better for long range shots on game such as elk.  

Shoot Mikey's 6lb bolt gun in that caliber, and it'll change your mind.  It's fucking brutal, and there's never any chance of getting back on the scope, and seeing where your shot went.

I'd rather shoot my 45-70 all day long, than that thing.  The 45-70 is LESS punishing.  If that makes any sense.