• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

270 WSM

MikedaddyH

25 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Shoot Mikey's 6lb bolt gun in that caliber, and it'll change your mind.  It's fucking brutal, and there's never any chance of getting back on the scope, and seeing where your shot went.

I'd rather shoot my 45-70 all day long, than that thing.  The 45-70 is LESS punishing.  If that makes any sense.

It does make sense. And I can’t say I have ever shot that caliber, but my wife’s uncle loves it. And I bet in an AR with a lot of that energy going into the bcg and then the buffer assembly, plus the added weight, and a good muzzle brake; the recoil would be a lot better. Even .308 feels a lot softer in an AR with just an A2 birdcage compared to a bolt gun and even other semi autos such as an m1A. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, ARTrooper said:

It does make sense. And I can’t say I have ever shot that caliber, but my wife’s uncle loves it. And I bet in an AR with a lot of that energy going into the bcg and then the buffer assembly, plus the added weight, and a good muzzle brake; the recoil would be a lot better. Even .308 feels a lot softer in an AR with just an A2 birdcage compared to a bolt gun and even other semi autos such as an m1A. 

I have personal experience on all you've said - that differs.  Just my $0.02 on the whole affair.  I've shot the 270 WSM 6lb bolt gun, and I've shot my own 45-70.  I'll take the 45-70, if I have to shoot it all day, and I HATE shooting that thing for more than two tubes of loaded ammo.  I'll still take it over that 270 WSM. All day long, I'll make that decision.  Done it before.

You can make the "It's an AR" approach, but I'm telling you that it won't matter - much. 

But, again, that's just my personal experience here.  Risk it - I'd love to see it, and shoot it.   :thumbup:  Build that thing.

Looking at chuckhawks recoil table on their website, the .270 wsm only has slightly more recoil than a .308 win with 165 gr bullet and 2700 FPS muzzle velocity. And a bit less recoil than .30-06 Springfield, which I hunted with for a few years in a bolt gun with no muzzle brake.

Now yes probably won’t be spotting your hits at most ranges, if any. But I don’t think the recoil would be to insane. My neighbor hunts elk with a .300 win ultra mag bolt gun and says his muzzle brake helps the recoil immensely.

6 minutes ago, ARTrooper said:

I want to hear from mikedaddy before I even start collecting parts, no point building it if it has even the occasional feed or extraction problem. 

His is a bolt gun - so the input you get from him will be different.  There aren't feed or extraction problems, in that bolt - just punishing recoil from it...

5 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

His is a bolt gun - so the input you get from him will be different.  There aren't feed or extraction problems, in that bolt - just punishing recoil from it...

Well that sucks. Based off his initial post when he started this thread, the last sentence in the second paragraph he was saying he had heard of ARs in 270 wsm and 300 wsm but never seen one. It made it seem like that is what he was building.

11 hours ago, dpete said:

The practical problem with a 270 WSM AR is can you get a bolt for the bigger diameter case to work with a 308AR BCG and upper?

116562591_12092007141.thumb.jpg.45349007a390a3945c8e5f89b2bc7475.jpg

.308 on left.    270WSM on right.  Pretty substantial diameter difference.

Well kak industries sells a bolt and bolt carrier group for it. 

2 hours ago, DNP said:

His thread IS about building a 270 WSM AR. I don’t think it can be read any other way. @MikedaddyH get your ass in here. Quit working and get typing. 

glad I am not the only one that read it that way.

7 hours ago, DNP said:

His thread IS about building a 270 WSM AR. I don’t think it can be read any other way. @MikedaddyH get your ass in here. Quit working and get typing. 

4 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

Well kak industries sells a bolt and bolt carrier group for it. 

glad I am not the only one that read it that way.

...Aaaaand, he started this thread about Halloween 2011.  I think I'd have shot this thing by now.  I'm just sayin'...  :popcorn:

@ARTrooper necro'd a post from 28 Sep 2012, here...   :thumbup:

....By a member who is fairly well known to still be active...soooo?  It Ain’t expired. This isn’t canned chicken.  Got a cutoff point for asking questions in a thread?  And according to his own words - he’s shot it.  Though it was a looong time ago. He may have forgotten the thing by now. 

15 hours ago, DNP said:

....By a member who is fairly well known to still be active...soooo?  It Ain’t expired. This isn’t canned chicken.  Got a cutoff point for asking questions in a thread?  And according to his own words - he’s shot it.  Though it was a looong time ago. He may have forgotten the thing by now. 

No hard-set rule on Necro's - it's just funny seeing them come up!...   :lmao:  AMAZING sometimes!...   :laffs::banana:

I don't think the canned chicken has an expiration date on it, though - scary...    I'll check that can in the camper next time I get that thing out...  

7 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

No hard-set rule on Necro's - it's just funny seeing them come up!...   :lmao:  AMAZING sometimes!...   :laffs::banana:

I don't think the canned chicken has an expiration date on it, though - scary...    I'll check that can in the camper next time I get that thing out...  

Oh God, I hope nobody necro’s the canned chicken post

12 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Sweet Sue Canned Whole Chicken (Pack of 1)

OR.....Maybe some of this for a holiday dinner!

Stay at home folks !

81NYa1Jp6TL._SL1500_.jpg

81LOMQWkmUL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by mrmackc

• 2 weeks later...

Damn you Fu¢kers, you CPR'ed this thread from the Grave !  

Ok first off ... 308 BCG , bolt enlarged to WSM size. Extractor modified . One very important fact ... The cartridge must be shortened to fit a 308 mags, factory ammo will not fit mags. The 270WSM has a substantial recoil. Also follower for the mags must be modified.

That's it.... Mine resides in a safe. Fixed the ejection timing issues and the hard recoiling by adjusting the gases. But it's a duct tape over a maxipad kind of gun . 

On 12/9/2020 at 2:34 PM, DNP said:

Those packages don't ship themselves, been working crazy hours lately. All the packages going to SoCal facilities our Hub sorted and shipped to each facility ever night. 12 hour days have been killing me. I even have to work on Christmas.

On 12/8/2020 at 10:55 PM, 98Z5V said:

I have personal experience on all you've said - that differs.  Just my $0.02 on the whole affair.  I've shot the 270 WSM 6lb bolt gun, and I've shot my own 45-70.  I'll take the 45-70, if I have to shoot it all day, and I HATE shooting that thing for more than two tubes of loaded ammo.  I'll still take it over that 270 WSM. All day long, I'll make that decision.  Done it before.

You can make the "It's an AR" approach, but I'm telling you that it won't matter - much. 

But, again, that's just my personal experience here.  Risk it - I'd love to see it, and shoot it.   :thumbup:  Build that thing.

I don't think you have shot my 270wsm bolt gun . It is unpleasant to shoot ! I am not recoil sensitive but it hurts to shoot so I don't !

26 minutes ago, MikedaddyH said:

I don't think you have shot my 270wsm bolt gun . It is unpleasant to shoot ! I am not recoil sensitive but it hurts to shoot so I don't !

^^^   That's the bitch I was referencing.  I'd rather shoot my 45-70 all day, than that monster.