• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New member 03/16/2021

Steve crawford

Hi  My name is Steve Crawford.  I am new to the AR 308.   Yesterday I traded for a DPMS LR308.  A2 stock, 18 inch fluted heavy barrel, 12 inch free floating hand guard, small by-pod, I don't know what the BCG is finished with but it looks like mat stainless steel. and a  EOTech 553 sight.  the serial number is 107XX,  It looks like near new condition.  I have a DPMS 5.56 base model that has not been shot much in a couple of years,  I have a few others also.  I am retired and have had a Heart Transplant in 2014.  Married for 45 years in June.  I like to reload ammo and play with guns.😁😁😁

Will try to post a picture in a few days.  I am not good with posting pictures.

I load 308 for a Remington 700 CDL tactical 20 inch heavy barrel.  Do I need to get a small base sizing die to size the Lake City brass I just ordered?  Guess I will just have to try some and see.

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

Welcome from Arkansas. Your transplant sure as hell trumps my triple bypass! My wife and I are coming onto 36 years together, but we met late, when I was 38!

I had 7 stints and 3 different pacemakers and a LVAD pump before I got my transplant.  If you ever need to go farther with your heart.  Baylor Scot and White Transplant Center in Dallas TX. is the only place to go.  I spent over 2 years waiting in line at another hospital in Dallas before going to Baylor.  Baylor took 14 days to find me a heart and said sorry for taking so long.  Can't say enough good about the care at Baylor.  My wife was 24 and I was 29 when we meet in December and married the next June.  Would not be here now without her taking care of me when my heart went bad.

4 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Welcome to the forum.  Congratulations on the successful heart transplant.

I am not a reloading expert, or even a novice, but know enough to say that you will likely need to develop a different load for your AR that for your bolt gun.  A bolt gun can take higher pressure than an AR platform

The load I shoot in the bolt gun is mid range on the powder.  If I can do my part.  I can get about a 40 cal. hole at 100 yards with 3 shots and when I am shaky I will pull one high and right about 1/16 of an inch.  The gun shoots but I am getting very old.

5 hours ago, Steve crawford said:

The load I shoot in the bolt gun is mid range on the powder.  If I can do my part.  I can get about a 40 cal. hole at 100 yards with 3 shots and when I am shaky I will pull one high and right about 1/16 of an inch.  The gun shoots but I am getting very old.

Welcome Steve. You have been through a lot. As far as reloads, midrange loads should be OK power wise in your DPMS, The issue will be chambering if you didn’t use small base dies when you loaded them. You may get lucky and find the reloads previously shot from your bolt gun will cycle, but moving forward if it was me I would get some small base dies. I shoot three different semi auto 308’s so I small base size everything.