• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

TACFIRE Inc. 308 firing pin

Steve crawford

12 hours ago, Steve crawford said:

Try this

That's the DPMS LR-308 type firing pin right there.  It should work in anything that's DPMS-based.  Won't work in an Armalite AR-10 style, though. 

AR 308 FIRING PIN

Edited by 98Z5V

Make sure that the firing pin tip diameter matches your bolts firing pin aperture. For the DPMS (Gen 1), there are 4 different bolt apertures that I know of (0.062", 0.065", 0.070" and 0.080"). Undersized firing pin tips can cause cratered or pierced primers. Oversized will obviously not fit. I prefer the aperture to pin dimensional difference to be 0.001" or less, but 0.002" - 0.003" seems to be common. Probably wouldn't hurt to also check pin protrusion.

1 hour ago, Steve crawford said:

Nothing about this beast is simple.  It is a maybe or could -should work.  It is raining here today.  So no range day to try this rifle out for the next couple of days at least. 😏😏😏

Steve

Rainy days are best. Less traffic

On 5/9/2021 at 8:26 PM, msgriff said:

there are 4 different bolt apertures that I know of (0.062", 0.065", 0.070" and 0.080").

Please state the companies, that are making these, and what each company's firing pin hole is,in the bolt face.  Since you know of these 4 - you should definitely have the information on which company is doing what.

List 'em.

On 5/10/2021 at 1:16 PM, edgecrusher said:

Rainy days are best. Less traffic

On 5/10/2021 at 3:55 PM, Rsquared said:

^^^^ My tactics also.

On 5/10/2021 at 6:04 PM, jtallen83 said:

-10 will give you choice of shooting lanes as well. :thumbup:

On 5/10/2021 at 7:07 PM, Steve crawford said:

You guys make me laugh.  If my drool is freezing  to my rifle it is to cold for me.  😀😀😀

Steve

I've literally sat there on a cold snowy day at my local gun club range. I prefer it when nobody else is around (shocker). Plus, after all, these things are battle rifles. The elements don't bother them (rain or snow).

Compared the old and new firing pins for my LR-308.  They are identical.  So I am good to go on that spare part.   What else should I pick up as spares?  The rifle has not been shot enough to put a mark on the face of the bolt.  It was a little dirty in the bolt and on the firing pin.  Washed wright off with solvent and a rag.   😏😏😏

Steve 

Edited by Steve crawford

• 2 years later...