• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Building my first 308

308USK

Greetings all,
     Moving the conversation of my first build over to this section, to keep the discussion in-line with where it should take place!

I've been shooting for 50+ years; qualified rifle in the military (M-14, then M-16) as well as pistol (19110 & shotgun (Remington 870).  Currently have a few rifles in my arsenal (M4 5.56, Lever Action 30-30, Remington 700 [.308]), but not a AR/LR platform in .308.  

I have been pondering a build for quite a while, and finally started the procurement of items last weekend.  I'm sure there will be hiccups along the way, but the main goal is to make a "DMR" rifle.  If I'm missing anything or any suggestions on items that may be a better fit, feel free to chime in (I'm no snowflake!  LMAO):

image.thumb.png.9a0fda2b6abbad9a8e73accc29214648.png

- -
308USK

Still awaiting a few parts, mainly the upper/lower that were supposedly 'in-stock' when I ordered, only to find out that the vendor had incoming stock. "Should" be in within the next few days then shipped out to me.

Here's the latest BOM for my build:

image.thumb.png.3d783e898bc838fd3a8783bea7fee139.png

1 hour ago, shooterrex said:

I would go with a regular spring and buffer in place of the silent captured stuff. Most people who have tried those do not have good luck getting their rifles to run till those are replaced with standard parts.

My brother has built quite a few guns with them...but we'll see how my build goes.  It's my first go-round and it's what I want to try.  I may find out it's more effective the run a standard buffer & spring!  :cool:

22 minutes ago, 308USK said:

My brother has built quite a few guns with them...but we'll see how my build goes.  It's my first go-round and it's what I want to try.  I may find out it's more effective the run a standard buffer & spring!  :cool:

Just make sure that the JP you ordered is for an Armalite AR-10 Carbine, first up.  If it's not, it won't work.

If you need a regular old buffer and spring, with that MagPul M110/SR25 extension (a verified replacement for the AR-10 Carbine Receiver Extension, at 7 5/8" internal depth), then you'll need any old AR15 Carbine H3 buffer (3.250" long), and an Armalite EA1095 recoil spring. 

Well, I just found this, right on JPs website - and the equivalent weight is 5.0oz.  AR-10 Carbine buffers (and AR15 H3 buffers) are 5.4oz.  Doesn't seem like a big deal, but let's see how it does...  If you don't get the spacer cut right, and if it doesn't work right after that, then get the parts I listed above ^^^...

Compatibility

The JPSCS2-10 is designed to work in standard 7-inch M16/M4-length buffer extension tubes on .308 AR-type rifles like the DPMS LR-308. Armalite .308 rifles, likewise, use these standard M16 extension tubes with rifle-length stocks, so this unit will function normally when installed with the supplied spacer. However, Armalite's .308 carbines use a slightly longer, non-standard carbine extension tube. The JPSCS2-10 can still be used with these extension tubes by installing the spacer, which must be modified to fit. Alternately, the system will function readily if the longer Armalite carbine tube is replaced with a standard 7-inch .223 carbine extension tube.

• 3 weeks later...

**Update**. Had a blond-moment (apparently) when I was buying my charging handle.  I thought I had selected the AR10 style Radian ambi charging handle.  Unfortunately, after opening up the package and reading AR15/M5 on the handle, I did a facepalm on myself (LOL) and started scrambling to find an AR10/LR308 compatible charging handle.  Fortunately for me, Aero Precision had an ambi charging handle in stock...so with my veteran discount, I saved a bit of money and have one en route (they even managed to process and ship out same day).

Once the charging handle is in, I'll have all the parts.  Now I just have to wait for the cerakote job to be done, then I can begin assembly!  

Big shout out to all y'all for the tips, suggestions and knowledge!  Between reading a gazillion posts on the forum and watching a slew of YouTube videos, I have a bunch of notes to keep my build on-track (hopefully).

I do have one question that I hope someone has knowledge to support:

The Aero Precision Lower Parts kit I bought was without a grip (I bought a Hogue pistol grip).  As such, my lower parts kits doesn't have the pistol grip screw & lock washer.  Does anyone know the tech specs for the pistol grip screw?

2 hours ago, unforgiven said:

1/4x28 1" long use allen head easier than slotted head .

Thank you!  The information I've gathered will go into my build notebook.  :banana:

I am amazed that it took me so many years to catch the bug...but it has definitely been caught.  Finding [quality] parts has not been easy and I have amassed a boatload of vendor links, along with the knowledge passed along from y'all.  

When…if…parts become readily available and back in a good price range, it’s worth it to buy some pieces and put them aside. Someday they’ll turn into another build. Or be trading material for the build you have going the next time things disappear off the shelf. 

28 minutes ago, DNP said:

When…if…parts become readily available and back in a good price range, it’s worth it to buy some pieces and put them aside. Someday they’ll turn into another build. Or be trading material for the build you have going the next time things disappear off the shelf. 

Yes indeed!!  That IS my game-plan (pieces for 5-6 if I can swing it. :cool: )

Just now, 98Z5V said:

I'm pretty damned positive that the pistol grip screw is 1/4-20, and not 1/4-28.  It's an inch long.  You try to put a 1/4-28 in there, and you're gonna strip your lower receiver out.  That's not gonna work.  The Hogue grip you bought should come with the proper screw.

I was thinking the grip "should" come with the proper screw, but I've looked high & low where I opened the package and no luck.  What I plan to do is take the lower to Lowe's or Home Depot and try the 1/4-28.  BUT, if I feel even a hint of resistance...I'll remove and try the 1/4-20!

I appreciate all of the knowledge you have passed along!

18 hours ago, shooterrex said:

If there is a cap on the grip look inside the grip. That's usually where the put them.

Sadly, the grip (Hogue, which I really like and fits my hand well) states right on the OEM packaging "mounting hardware not included."  (I didn't see this originally).  UGH!  Fortunately, the peeps on this forum ROCK and provided the info I need to procure a proper screw and get on with things (once I get everything back from vendor doing my Cerakote job). 

1 hour ago, 308USK said:

Sadly, the grip (Hogue, which I really like and fits my hand well) states right on the OEM packaging "mounting hardware not included."  (I didn't see this originally).  UGH!  Fortunately, the peeps on this forum ROCK and provided the info I need to procure a proper screw and get on with things (once I get everything back from vendor doing my Cerakote job). 

If you can’t find one I probably have one I could part with, I have several spares in my parts box

22 hours ago, edgecrusher said:

If you can’t find one I probably have one I could part with, I have several spares in my parts box

Much Appreciated.  I'll check my local stores first...and if necessary, I'll reach out. :) 

21 hours ago, unforgiven said:

Any hardware store, shipping is more that bolt but if @edgecrusher doesn't have any you can have my OEM slotted head with a dab of thread locker. I used a lockwasher. Let me know brother.

Thanks!   If local supply doesn't have what I need, I'll reach out!

Finally....Cerakote job finished!!  

I started the build today after work!  Learning experience for sure.  I am actually pretty happy with how things are going; installation of the Geissele G2S trigger was a little tough, since I've never done that, but after using a little brain-matter, slowly & methodically I was able to get everything done for the lower!  (Takedown pin isn't installed yet; detent pin fell out of my hand and despite my flashlight being 600lumens, I couldn't find the damn thing.  My brother has spares (as will I, soon enough!  :laffs:)

Colors used for Cerakote camo:
Mil-Spec Green (H-264)
Sniper Gray (H-234)
Flat Dark Earth (H-265)

Progress so far:

SRA_308-Lower.thumb.jpg.3d0c8ade357b7de026f587eb1f295c52.jpg