• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Building my first 308

308USK

8 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Your safety is in there upside down.  Just sayin'...   :thumbup:

Well shizzle.  Good thing it's a Bad-Ass Pro Ambi safety selector.  That's an EASY fix (LMAO); can't seen the forest through the trees!  I must've been overly frazzled at losing the pin detent (which I just found as I walked into my kitchen this morning).

• 3 weeks later...

After way too long a wait (had to wait for a dimpling jig and a carbide bit)...I have finally assembled the upper/barrel/gas system/handguard/muzzle device.  The build is 99% complete.  All that is left is the bipod, Objective & Eyepiece flip-caps from Vortex and it's done!

Overall, I'd say this was a complete success on my part!  Learned a number of things along the way, for example:
1) If using an adjustable gas block, make sure you open it wide-open before you start working the installation of the gas block.  Make it easier to do the 'blow test' (lol).
2) Make sure have your work area well lit.  Sometimes, the little set screws can be a real PITA to find unless well lit.
3) Pay attention to direction of things as you install.  If you're installing a "Bad Ass Pro Ambidextrous Safety," for example, it is an easy mistake to install upside down (especially if you're working fast and not in a well lit environment).
4) Make sure you have all your tools needed laid out and ready.  Just makes the job easier...
5) Plenty of other observations

Now I am ready to get it out to the range and start fine-tuning!  More pics once I get the bipod and flip-caps

SRA_LR-308#1.jpg

SRA_LR-308#2.jpg

Thanks for the kinds replies!

Couple more pics after I got the bipod and scope flip-caps installed.  Still have to camo the scope mount, scope, bipod and flip-caps, but the rifle is pretty much there!

Weighed the rifle once done:  12lbs 2.0 oz

SRA_LR-308#4.jpg

SRA_LR-308#6.jpg