• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Spare parts for the Sig 716i

1 hour ago, shooterrex said:

Both of my sig 308 pistol barrels are using a DPMS pattern bolt.

Same here.  My second one isn't built, just a barrel, but I headspaced it with a DPMS-based bolt before I stuck it in the "Build This Later" box.

A DPMS-based bolt/BCG DOES RUN with the 716 12.5" barrel.  MAN!  Does it run!  :thumbup:

46 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

FYI, Ravensquirts does still look at the forum.  This is from the thread linked above.

Indeed, I'm fully aware, and knew if from the get-go.  He's logged himself out as of March 23rd this year, and is only lurking here, as a "guest" - not logged in.

He can see what I'm saying to him/about him.  He won't do anything about it, though.  He's just gonna troll other gun boards now, until THEY get tired of his shiit.  He won't troll this place anymore, not with the lumps his dumb ass has taken here. 

Check it:

769912547_RAVENSHITlastvisitloggedin.thumb.png.caf744fba0799cb2141bc80fd45e4e9c.png

The POS is using this board for information, to start shiit on other boards.  Big FAIL.  :thefinger:

Looks like he'll hem himself up over on the Hide, too.  The way he's going.  BIG MAN Ravenshiits, over there.  Good on him.  They'll figure him out pretty quick.

Edited by 98Z5V

10 hours ago, shooterrex said:

Both of my sig 308 pistol barrels are using a DPMS pattern bolt.

Hey, That's great info to know.  Thanks.  

What is the difference between what I'm reading about Gen 1 and 2 DPMS ?   Sorry to be so dense, I'm new to 308

caliber AR type rifles.  They aren't very common in my area.  I have a ton of other stuff come through the shop, just many

of those. 

6 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

You're WAY GOOD, man.  Don't even sweat it.  You didn't start a single thing. :thumbup:

You are very welcome here. 

Thanks.  Looks like you gentlemen have a great forum here with a TON of useful info.  

I can see this helping me out a great deal, and I do appreciate it.   

2 hours ago, scottfn308 said:

Hey, That's great info to know.  Thanks.  

What is the difference between what I'm reading about Gen 1 and 2 DPMS ?   Sorry to be so dense, I'm new to 308

caliber AR type rifles.  They aren't very common in my area.  I have a ton of other stuff come through the shop, just many

of those. 

There is no Gen 1 or Gen 2. The GII  was an attempt to make the .308 platform lighter and smaller but had many proprietary parts. It was short lived. Some other companies have tried the same but none play with the other kids in the sand box.

The DPMS/SR25 platform isn’t completely compatible but many share interchangeable parts. Also, never, ever assume an AR10 part will, since in proper terms AR10 is strictly Armalite and is not interchangeable as it’s separate from the DPMS/SR25. 

On 7/17/2021 at 8:17 PM, jtallen83 said:

Do you have access to a 308AR DPMS style BCG to compare? Sig ain't gonna say schit about any parts compatibility. They swear up and down their 716 piston gun bolt is proprietary when it is just a cosmetic variation on the DPMS.

@jtallen83

No luck at I5 Guns sourcing a DPMS pattern BCG. I'm going to ask around but it may take a little bit longer.

1 hour ago, jtallen83 said:

I need to get to the LGS and see if they have a 716i I could look over, I loaned them my 716p when I got it so he's "Sig curious" as well.

I posted the question up at ARF and the Hide on my 716I threads and was referenced to your posts on SIG Talk regarding parts similarities but now I know you meant with the piston guns. I will see what else I can find. I look forward to your findings.

• 2 weeks later...

I recieved a call earlier this week from SIG's Corporate Office. It was a response to an email I sent them regarding the 716I, where I referenced a few threads and requested some information while also making some suggestions. Specifically I asked about Future Parts availability and interchangeability with DPMS/SR-25, Caliber and Barrel/Handguard Modularity and the specific build process and type of materials used for the barrel.

I was informed parts are coming soon. Unfortunately with the Indian Contract and pushing out commercial 716I's, amongst a few other important projects has SIG extremely busy filling back orders for the near future. They simply don't have the time to start making spare parts for commercial sales but they are going to be incorporated soon. Right now the only way to get SIG spare parts is by calling in and requesting a warranty replacement which 9/10 will require you to send in your rifle in order to diagnose and correct the deficiency.

I was also told that due to there being no adopted standard amongst AR-308/ AR-10 type rifles, SIG manufactures thier own proprietary in house parts, which they feel are more than adequate. One point that was repeatedly mentioned when I asked if the 716I's barrel was Cold Hammer Forged(CHF), was that the 716I barrels are DLC, Carbon Steel, button rifled, Nitrided barrels. I'm so confused now and need to go to hip pocket manufacturing 101.

Can someone explain exactly how that affects us has owners because I have no clue. I read button rifling is good for an accurate barrel but I need to read up more and get educated about what are the positive and negative effects. I've also never heard of DLC, is it similar to PVD and is this just a fancier word for their Nitriding process or is this an additional benefit? 

I also tried to confirm the possibility of future platform expansion and no comment was made. It was inferred that the success of the 716I globally would be the factor driving possible expansion into different barrel lengths and calibers. With competition inside house from MCX, MPX/NGSW-SPEAR, 320, 365, Legacy Pistols & MIL contracts, theres alot of mouths to feed in house before the 716I gets the attention it needs to effectively become competitive with the Top Houses in the AR-308/ AR-10 market. The SIG rep did agree it wouldn't take much to make a 6.5CM since it was already offered in their piston 716 and tooling exists that can be easily converted but it was also inferred that we aren't quite their yet. Any extras also cost extra. The truth is the 716I is a juvenile platform that has enjoyed a great start but there is still more proving to be done! This is a Marathon not a Sprint.

So for now we must basically be happy with the single serving of excellence we have received knowing access to purchasing spare parts is possibly 6 months to a year out. We must use it for all intensive purposes to Hunt, for Duty or Home Security,  Precision and Competition and for Plinking. We must measure its abilities at performing in these roles and report back here so we can determine what upgrades we can possibly get SIG to invest in. At the end of the day, it's apparent the 716I is just another commodity, but at the moment that commodity happens to be the Best AR-308/ AR-10 type rifle for the money in my opinion.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/5/2022 at 5:58 PM, Artenfanboi said:

I have both a sig 716i and a DPMS style AR10. The sig bcg and charging handle are proprietary. I actually tried tonight to swap them and the dpms style would not mesh with barrel lugs I didn’t try to disassemble the carriers and see if the bolts themselves swapped. 

Is it possible to see if the bolts will fit in opposing carriers and if so let us know? Thanks!

5 hours ago, Mikebrown97 said:

Does the 716I have any after market Barrels available? I’m looking for a 24inch

There are no different barrel lengths or calibers offered at this time. In fact, besides the ambidextrous charging handle and Matchlite Duo trigger upgrade, there are no spare parts or upgrades available at this time.

Edited by GLD1980

7 hours ago, GLD1980 said:

Is it possible to see if the bolts will fit in opposing carriers and if so let us know? Thanks!

There are no different barrel lengths or calibers offered at this time. In fact, besides the ambidextrous charging handle and Matchlite Duo trigger upgrade, there are no spare parts or upgrades available at this time.

Okay thank you