• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

FNG....Help me to Poverty!

jim3326

😁 Hello All,

I started a new build and inadvertently picked up a Gen2 barrel. After doing a bunch of research I thought why not build both versions, it would make for a good story if nothing else.

Well, my research didn't include to much investigation into parts availability, so now I'm asking for leads and some more definitive info. To give ya'll an idea where I come at this from, if you sweat about the cost, you probably can't afford it. That's not to say the sky's the limit though! Haha

The info; I've seen it posted that a standard lower will/will not mate with the upper. I have an upper coming that states it will. What are the dimensional differences between the 2 frames? If a standard lower works, I'm pretty well set for the majority of the parts. What I'm still lacking is the BCG, fore guard and barrel nut, dust cover, I read that one particular upper had a different size cover.

Thanks in advance for any help. I am off to search the site for more info, Great Place!      Jim W.  

43 minutes ago, jim3326 said:

😁 Hello All,

I started a new build and inadvertently picked up a Gen2 barrel.

What brand?  Probably DPMS Gen 2.  Could be PSA Gen 2.  Need to know that before we can progress...

So, here's the deal, in a nutshell.  Years ago, Remington bought DPMS.  2 years ago, Remington went bankrupt.  All assets for Remington went to auction, and 7 different companies bought all the pieces to Remington.  PSA got the DPMS line, and the Remington 870 line.

The "Gen 2" you're referring to - lots of companies make a Gen 2, and 3, etc.  Judging by the barrel, if that's the one that you have, is very specifically for the DPMS G2 (sometimes called the GII).  That's a .308AR made to fit in a small-frame, almost AR15-sized receivers. 

The company is gone, the parent company is gone.  What you NEED to make that barrel run is a DPMS G2 receiver set, and a DPMS G2 BCG (complete, with bolt).  Almost any AR15 handguards work.  The rest of the parts are standard, and easily sourced.

At this point, I'd return the barrel to Rainier Arms.  If I were in your shoes.  You won't find receivers, or a BCG,unless you get lucky on GunBroker or another auction site, and you'll pay out the ass.  The only other option is to do a very specific search for a DPMS G2 complete rifle, and buy it.  There have to be some out there in the wild, sitting on shelves in stores.

You're in a pretty bad place, to try to build your own DPMS G2.  My $0.02. 

29 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

So, here's the deal, in a nutshell.  Years ago, Remington bought DPMS.  2 years ago, Remington went bankrupt.  All assets for Remington went to auction, and 7 different companies bought all the pieces to Remington.  PSA got the DPMS line, and the Remington 870 line.

The "Gen 2" you're referring to - lots of companies make a Gen 2, and 3, etc.  Judging by the barrel, if that's the one that you have, is very specifically for the DPMS G2 (sometimes called the GII).  That's a .308AR made to fit in a small-frame, almost AR15-sized receivers. 

The company is gone, the parent company is gone.  What you NEED to make that barrel run is a DPMS G2 receiver set, and a DPMS G2 BCG (complete, with bolt).  Almost any AR15 handguards work.  The rest of the parts are standard, and easily sourced.

At this point, I'd return the barrel to Rainier Arms.  If I were in your shoes.  You won't find receivers, or a BCG,unless you get lucky on GunBroker or another auction site, and you'll pay out the ass.  The only other option is to do a very specific search for a DPMS G2 complete rifle, and buy it.  There have to be some out there in the wild, sitting on shelves in stores.

You're in a pretty bad place, to try to build your own DPMS G2.  My $0.02. 

😒 Well that totally sucks. I did try to fit the AR15 nut over the barrel but it stops at the chamber flare and the 308 nut just went on past so it's about half way in between. I'll see what the coming upper reveals and post an update.

6 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Then, you have to solve the BCG problem, and the lower receiver problem.  If the upper works.

Yeah, I know what you're saying. Trying to stay a little positive. I'm curious how they can state the upper will work with a large lower though.

48 minutes ago, jim3326 said:

I'm curious how they can state the upper will work with a large lower though.

Who is stating that?  Who is "they"...?...

DPMS never stated that, with any of the info that they ever put out - it was never, ever compatible with an actual DPMS LR-308 lower.  And they're the ones that made them both.

From DPMS themselves, it was a completely brand new upper and lower receiver, and BCG.  Also from DPMS, it was supposed to be able to use "any" AR15 handguard - but that didn't work out.  Some fit, many didn't.

Getting information out of you is just about as hard as pulling my own teeth with vice grips.  You need to read this thread, right here, then come back once you're done absorbing it. 

Edited by 98Z5V

17 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Who is stating that?  Who is "they"...?...

DPMS never stated that, with any of the info that they ever put out - it was never, ever compatible with an actual DPMS LR-308 lower.  And they're the ones that made them both.

From DPMS themselves, it was a completely brand new upper and lower receiver, and BCG.  Also from DPMS, it was supposed to be able to use "any" AR15 handguard - but that didn't work out.  Some fit, many didn't.

Getting information out of you is just about as hard as pulling my own teeth with vice grips.  You need to read this thread, right here, then come back once you're done absorbing it. 

I apologize, I'm not that good trying to put my thoughts down. 

https://www.durkintactical.com/product/guntec-ar-308-cal-stripped-billet-upper-receiver-gen-2-anodized-black/

Edited by jim3326

What I read on the link you posted for the upper is that it is their gen2 NOT  DPMS G2. And I would also bet money the upper doesn't fit PSA's lowers.

Like 98Z said just change the barrel to a standard DPMS pattern and you have lots of options. You are going to spend a ton of money and time chasing down compatable parts.

These large frame guns are not built to any type of milspec standard.

6 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

What I read on the link you posted for the upper is that it is their gen2 NOT  DPMS G2. And I would also bet money the upper doesn't fit PSA's lowers.

Like 98Z said just change the barrel to a standard DPMS pattern and you have lots of options. You are going to spend a ton of money and time chasing down compatable parts.

Yeah, I'm getting that feeling. Hopefully Rainier won't whack me with the whole 15% restock fee.

I went the whole rifle  route simply because i did not understand all the differences years later now I get it and I would recommend you find and buy a full rifle in one of the different configs. then modify it to suit your needs after a while here then try a build... My two arrowheads!

Sell what you can start over with a Aero precision M5 matching set, Armalite recoil system go from there. Sometimes you have to cut your losses. I have learned that the hard way. Maybe then you can exchange the barrel.  My 2 mags

Edited by unforgiven

17 hours ago, jim3326 said:

Yeah, that's GUNTEC USA's Gen 2 version of a .308AR lower.  That's nowhere close to compatible with a DPMS G2 setup. 

17 hours ago, shooterrex said:

^^^  Precisely.

My point here is simple - there is NO STANDARD for .308AR parts, platforms (3 major platform differences), or any aftermarket standard for a company that "just makes parts, not guns" to follow. 

Just because you see something that says "Gen 2" on it doesn't mean it's compatible with the DPMS G2 platform.  That barrel you have IS for a DPMS G2 platform.

Return that $450 barrel to Rainier Arms, eat the restocking fee, turn around and purchase a Ballistic Advantage barrel for around $250-ish, and you'll be in far better shape.  Or, you can search out complete DPMS G2 rifles, and mod it.  I found some, searching last night - they're out there, at high prices.  Realize this, though - You''ll drop over a grand on a full gun that you're gonna take apart and replace most of the parts on, and second - there are no major spare parts down the road, should you need them...   If you break a bolt - you then own a very expensive club.