• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

The Mentality Here - Is Different...

98Z5V

This is not your typical firearms board, here.  This is a work in progress, for more than a decade, after many of us being on other gun boards, prior to that.  This was a quest to resolve all the conflicting information out there, about the Large Frame AR Market - one place, to gather all data, on as many .308AR platforms, as possible, figure them out, put the information out on what was found - and keep it all here.  Right here. 

So far, it's been quite successful - there isn't any other place on the 'net that you can find the information, that you can find here.  Nowhere.  Just here. 

This started with the .308AR platform - but there's no discrimination, none.  We don't care what you shoot, any caliber, and platform...   We just care THAT you shoot.  Ask about wrist-rockets if you want - somebody here is a PRO with those things! 

What makes this place different is the bond, and the like-minded individuals, that have stuck it out over time.  What makes this place different is the willingness to TRY.  Someone asks about a certain caliber?  Nobody here has that?  We've seen members here say, "Eff it - I'll buy one of those or build one of those, and figure it out..."  

Another thing that stands out is - we fix our own gun problems.  In turn, that solves alot of gun problems for future gun owners.  We reload. MAN, do we reload.  We push ourselves for a better load, all the time.  We work at it, until we perfect it.  Or we work at it, spend a PILE of money on it, and a BUNCH of time on it (years, sometimes), before we say...   "That's just not gonna work..."

Recommendations for products do not come lightly.  Recommendations for solutions do not come lightly - they come with years and years of experience on this platform - and any other platform that you can imagine.

In light of all this, what got me going on this rant, was something that happened here last week.  Information was given to a myriad of bouncing questions.  At one point, the original OP didn't like some of the responses given, and his answer was...

"it seems like at a point - when person A mentions something... if person B feels any way other than comfy.. there are attacks made. "

The response is pure perfection.  It sums up WHY we have all gathered here, in the first place, and what we do...   :thumbup:

"Alright, I kinda got drug into this diatribe, so now I feel like I need to throw in my $0.02.  Wanted or unwanted.  From the outside looking in, you appear to have read every single thing that is a thing about what you're wanting to do or build, even though that is still not exactly clear.  Maybe you've talked to a few people "in the know".  Half of what you've said/asked about makes no difference for what you are doing or attempting to do.  Some of it is totally unnecessary.  Literally splitting hairs and the improvements will only be seen in a controlled environment with an expert/champion shooter that has a rifle where the groups are measured to the .0001".  Some of what you've said is interesting.  It probably worked for someone, somewhere at some time I have no doubt.

That being said, the resistance that you are identifying is because the majority of us have learned all this by doing it.  We've set a goal, built a rig, loaded the rounds and went and tested to get our results.  Rinse.  Repeat.  A dream parts list on paper might look good and sound like a real winner, but when it's all put together you'll quickly learn that some of that schitt doesn't make a hill of beans difference or you paid a lot of money for a part that just flat out doesn't work as intended.  But on paper and in theory it should work!  Because every rig works differently, every shoulder holds it differently, every eye sees it differently and every finger pulls it differently.  And there's a lot of things that make more of a difference that you've kind of just skipped over.  Just my observation from reading what's here, but it's easy to assume that all of the things you listed in the posts above are from research and not your real world experience.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how it comes across.  Granted, some people may have done some things and others may have done other things that work, but the only real way to know is to build it and do it.  For yourself.  What works for that guy may not necessarily work for you and that goes for information received here, as well.  Go through all the steps, buy all the high dollar stuff, spend all the time doing everything awesome and badass and go test it.  Then get back to us with the results.  All it is now is piss in the wind until it's proven.  You've thrown around different ideas/theories.  Some will stick, others will not.  I have a feeling that you'll end up ditching half the parts/procedures you've talked about as the time/effort just won't be worth it in the end.

Around here, we run our bolt, not our mouth.  While we may not know everything, we definitely know enough to get the job done and we know BS when we hear it.  There's something to be said about being able to out perform your equipment, and it comes across that you're armchair quarterbacking this so far.  You can build a 10 second drag car on paper, but what matters is where the rubber meets the road.

Enjoy the journey."

@JBMatt - VERY well done, brother.  :hail:

Edited by 98Z5V

• 2 weeks later...